Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

New Etihad Travel Voucher

Rainsberger

Hello Guys

Today, I got a new email from Etihad Airways with the following news about there brand new Travel Voucher offer offering 50% added to what ever you spend and valued for 2 years. 

Dear Dave, looking forward to brighter skies and a future filled with adventure? So are we.

To give you more to spend on your next break, we've introduced the Etihad Travel Voucher. Buy an Etihad Travel Voucher between 10 - 24 June and we’ll add 50% to the value of your voucher for free. So, if you buy a voucher worth $1,000, you’ll have $1,500 to spend on your next trip. Simple.

Choose an amount from $250 up to $65,000 and then use your Etihad Travel Voucher to pay for flights and extras from 1 August 2020. Your voucher is valid for two years, so you have plenty of time to plan the perfect trip.

With 50% more to spend and a growing network across the world, the hardest decision you’ll have to make is where to explore first.

Call our Contact Centre team today to buy your Etihad Travel Voucher.

Anyone any comments about this offer seems good and valued for 2 years 

• Like 2

I was just about to post the same question.  It seems to be a good deal. I’ve looked at prices on the Etihad website as opposed to a price comparison site for dates next year and the Etihad prices are roughly £100 more for Thailand and the Philippines. My concern is that the vouchers are non refundable.  I’m sure Etihad won’t go bust as it’s a national airline but I’m really tempted to buy vouchers to cover my travel for the next 18 months. 

Sounds to good to be true.  Etihad obviously have cash Flow problems .

I would initially be concerned that the Company might go into receivership or liquidation before we would get an opportunity to redeem the voucher.
Although , being the National airline of the UAE , I would be surprised if the UAE would allow this to happen.

Compared to the scheme whereby the Guest member could buy air miles at 2cent per mile , it is definitely better value .

Will wait a few days before I will decide . 

Seriously might take the gamble,will look a bit more into this first tho

I got the same email today. I've had a look on the website and Man to Bkk 5th to 26th December is around £2322 inc tax, on 3rd party search engine same flight £1950.

However with the offer looking at round about £1548 which direct with the carrier seems pretty good and they are valid for 2 years for flights from August 1 2020.

As Portrea said you can't imagine the UAE letting them go bust, and if we buy with a credit card we should be covered. 

Out of all 3 Middle East carries these are 3rd on my list the 2018 flight was good with no hiccups 

Just a minor caveat, that Etihad has been losing serious-money in recent years (ie billions), due mainly to buying minor-shareholdings in other rocky airlines (such as Jet Airways & Air Berlin), which then go bust. :wink:

There have also been occasional rumours about a forced-merger with a certain other more-successful UAE-based outfit.

Then again, I've flown with them several times, over the past 20-years or so, and would again.  But currently I'm due to fly BKK-AUH-LHR with them on 18th June, and they haven't yet even emailed me to warn that the flight is cancelled, or offer a refund/voucher either direct or via the uncontactable-OTA which I booked through.

So I may give future bookings to Qatar Airways instead, they've been more sensible than most, about treating their customers better in these uncertain times. :Clap9:

Most people are busy trying to get money back from airlines at the minute  :)

Giving Etihad your money now, you are tied to flying with that airline in the near future, regardless of what prices & flight schedules other airlines will be offering & who knows what prices Etihad themselves will be charging

If you normally fly with the airline anyway, it may be worth a gamble to some people

• Like 1

I am tempted, but just put in a few dates for Dublin to Abu Dhabi Business Class return and both series of dates for a two week return are coming back at Euro3,609.60 which is extremely expensive.  My current Dublin to Bangkok return was around Euro2,000.

I chose Dublin to Abu Dhabi as that route does not depend on Bangkok reopening!

Bangkok Business Class return in November is Euro3,818.  Again this is expensive, maybe because only Business Flex is available!

Economy however are "normal prices" at Euro733 return in November.

I will have to have a think if it is worth it....

3 hours ago, kd_traveller said:

I am tempted, but just put in a few dates for Dublin to Abu Dhabi Business Class return and both series of dates for a two week return are coming back at Euro3,609.60 which is extremely expensive.  My current Dublin to Bangkok return was around Euro2,000.

I chose Dublin to Abu Dhabi as that route does not depend on Bangkok reopening!

Bangkok Business Class return in November is Euro3,818.  Again this is expensive, maybe because only Business Flex is available!

Economy however are "normal prices" at Euro733 return in November.

I will have to have a think if it is worth it....

Etihad business has gone downhill a lot. Aircraft interiors are getting old looking, no limo pickup, no lounge in Dublin, abu dhabi bursting with capacity. I last went business in 2016 with them and it was very ordinary and would be only tempted to return for a very competitive price.

19 hours ago, dontpanic said:

Etihad business has gone downhill a lot. Aircraft interiors are getting old looking, no limo pickup, no lounge in Dublin, abu dhabi bursting with capacity. I last went business in 2016 with them and it was very ordinary and would be only tempted to return for a very competitive price.

I had stopped using them for years for the reasons you mention.  However the new combined lounge for Etihad, Emirates and Turkish called East Lounge is very good and similar to the old Etihad lounge.

I was also lucky that both my flights were on the 787 which in Business Class are very nice (787 in economy is not something I wish to do again!)

5 hours ago, kd_traveller said:

I had stopped using them for years for the reasons you mention.  However the new combined lounge for Etihad, Emirates and Turkish called East Lounge is very good and similar to the old Etihad lounge.

I was also lucky that both my flights were on the 787 which in Business Class are very nice (787 in economy is not something I wish to do again!)

I'm not sure if it was the East lounge i went to in Dec 2018. I was pointed to the old lounge but someone overheard the conversation and sent me to one which had just opened and I must admit I was very impressed. They had a big new bar and it was big enough to accommodate everyone without being on top of each other and the food was pretty decent, about a 4/5 minute walk from passport control 

It's not a bad deal at all if you book on credit card to cover yourself in case anything happens, probably unlikely as a national carrier but who knows

There are some amazing deals across the board for next year.  Qatar £1600 business UK to Bangkok is a steal.  Etihad coming in at about £300 economy and £1400 business with the discount on my dates in Feb.  I'm tempted but I already have a BA voucher and a lot of Avios to use but a third off already competitive prices is not to be sniffed at if you're sure you're going in the next 2 years

13 hours ago, bigbadbaz said:

I'm not sure if it was the East lounge i went to in Dec 2018. I was pointed to the old lounge but someone overheard the conversation and sent me to one which had just opened and I must admit I was very impressed. They had a big new bar and it was big enough to accommodate everyone without being on top of each other and the food was pretty decent, about a 4/5 minute walk from passport control 

It's available for 50 Euro, bit steep but considering the other are about half that price but nothing like the same quality it's tempting.I remember Eithad trying to sell a lounge upgrade to people in the check in queue in Dublin a few years back. Think it was 40 Euro for morning and 50 for the evening. I guess there's more food on offer in the evening. I'd already booked a lounge but would have preferred theirs.

So has anybody bit the bullet and bought a voucher yet ?

Edited by Ash101

Nope.

Just checked on official Qatar app and my dates in December coming in at £1776.  This is about £190 dearer than Dream World. They both have the cancellation/ 2 year voucher offer and for the difference would prob book direct in case shit happens, although not booking yet 

2 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

I'm guessing not

Been mulling it over

But like a suspicious fish I keep looking for the hook

Why am I being offered 150% back on my money - are they that desperate for funds (slavering like a floundering ponzi scheme)

The vouchers are offered for sale in U S Dollars .  While I have not checked with Etihad , It appears there  will be two exchange rate conversions .

The first when the vouchers  are purchased with our Euros or Sterling and the second when the flight is purchased as we will be buying in Euro/ Sterling .

While the US Dollar is weak at the moment , this may not be the case when the flight is purchased . Also , I suspect there will be a significant spread between the buying rate and selling rate .

I just bought my voucher from Etihad. It is sold in American dollars and the exchange rate I got for pounds sterling was 1.24 which was what I can get on XE. Not sure if there is any further charges to my credit card but this is all that’s showing at the moment. 

On 22/06/2020 at 14:13, Ash101 said:

I just bought my voucher from Etihad. It is sold in American dollars and the exchange rate I got for pounds sterling was 1.24 which was what I can get on XE. Not sure if there is any further charges to my credit card but this is all that’s showing at the moment. 

Most card charge 2.75%, I used my Halifax Clarity so no fees on that front.  Once you're paying shit exchange rate and conversion fees then you've lost a lot of the benefit.  The fact you can book flights for anybody though is really decent

I got 4 emails with 4 different voucher amounts in ££.  Whole process was difficult, which was not what I'd heard.  2 and a half hour queue as well to get through, suspect I was put through to any call centre that could take the call rather than one aimed at English folk as we could barely understand each other.,