IGNORED

Which visa is right for me

Jansinger

Im a german Guy and im 57 Years old. My job is self-employed. I want to stay 6 Month in a Year in Thailand.

Which visa do I need?

Depends on your financial situation.

Personally, if I was in your situation and had a spare 800K Bht just lying around I'd go for an extension of stay based on retirement to save the messing around. If not wanting to park the full 800K possibly go the combination route (X amount parked then monthly bank transfers to make up the equivalent to 800K over the year).

If didn't want to do that at the time, SETV (60 days) and extend for 30 days in country then pop out to get a new SETV and do another extension.

3 hours ago, Ru4Real said:

Depends on your financial situation.

Personally, if I was in your situation and had a spare 800K Bht just lying around I'd go for an extension of stay based on retirement to save the messing around. If not wanting to park the full 800K possibly go the combination route (X amount parked then monthly bank transfers to make up the equivalent to 800K over the year).

If didn't want to do that at the time, SETV (60 days) and extend for 30 days in country then pop out to get a new SETV and do another extension.

Don't forget the health insurance requirement for the Non O-A.

Has there been any further news on getting the Non O in Thailand and getting the retirement extension that way,,,,,,, and whether or not the insurance is/has become/will become mandatory in that instance ? 

OP also mentions "self-employed". The Non O-A requirement flat out states "no employment" while in Thailand.

That said, if he DOES plan on working while in Thailand it almost has to be via computer. Not sure how they would know or IF that is not allowed - after all he wouldn't be taking a Thai job away from a Thai. :Dunno:

Edited by sulu

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

24 minutes ago, sulu said:

Has there been any further news on getting the Non O in Thailand and getting the retirement extension that way

Yes, that is the more detailed version of above (given we have no idea if that's what the OP is looking for didn't get into the specifics). Can still convert to Non-O in Thailand (as long as you meet the financials) and then get an extension to stay and the insurance is not an issue. If/when they intend to close that loophole in the future is anyone's guess :Dunno1:

1 minute ago, Ru4Real said:

Yes, that is the more detailed version of above (given we have no idea if that's what the OP is looking for didn't get into the specifics). Can still convert to Non-O in Thailand (as long as you meet the financials) and then get an extension to stay and the insurance is not an issue. If/when they intend to close that loophole in the future is anyone's guess :Dunno1:

Dude. It's somewhere between 3:20 and 5:20 AM in Oz. :Oops3:

Get some sleep !!! :Laugh1:

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

0543 my sleep pattern is, how to put it .... fucked 555

• Sad 1

OK - Thank you very much - my health insurance is not a problem for me - i have a privat health insurance for 35 years and it´s work all over the world. The 800k are also no problem because i can put it on my Bank here in germany.

But i Think the Non-Immigrant-Visum “O” (Multiple Entry) is ok for me because i not stay more then 90 days for 1 stay - maybe i stay 60 days, go back germany and come back 1 month later to thailand and stay 60 days again.  ( providet the flights to thailand get not so much expensive after corona)

I not need to work in Thailand for money - i have my company here in germany and i do my work with computer. And if i want sell also my producs in thailand my GF can do for me. - im right ?

Edited by Jansinger

2 hours ago, Jansinger said:

OK - Thank you very much - my health insurance is not a problem for me - i have a privat health insurance for 35 years and it´s work all over the world. The 800k are also no problem because i can put it on my Bank here in germany.

But i Think the Non-Immigrant-Visum “O” (Multiple Entry) is ok for me because i not stay more then 90 days for 1 stay - maybe i stay 60 days, go back germany and come back 1 month later to thailand and stay 60 days again.  ( providet the flights to thailand get not so much expensive after corona)

I not need to work in Thailand for money - i have my company here in germany and i do my work with computer. And if i want sell also my producs in thailand my GF can do for me. - im right ?

A couple of things:

First, your current health insurance won’t be accepted by the Thais for the Non O-A visa. You have to buy one of their ‘approved’ policies to qualify. (It’s a con).

Secondly, the 800k has to be in a bank in Thailand for the annual renewal of your Extension of Stay. It’s fine in a German bank for the first application but will have to be in a Thai bank for future renewals.

Thirdly, check that it is still possible to get a Non-O visa FOR THE PURPOSE OF RETIREMENT in Germany. Thai Embassies & Consulates in some countries (Australia, USA, Belgium) have stopped giving them. 

So, in your case, if you can get a Non-O in Germany, this gives you 3 months. You can then extend for 12 months in Thailand and do that each year. No insurance required but 800k needed in Thai bank.

If you can’t get a Non-O in Germany then just get a Single Entry Tourist Visa and change it to a Non-O in Thailand. This is a LOT easier if you use an agent.

As for ‘selling your products’ then if the authorities find out its actually you doing this through your girlfriend then you’ll be in trouble. You need a Work Permit which you can’t get on a retirement visa.

• Like 2

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

ok, thank you - it all sounds a bit complicated - its crazy with the health insurance. So i must look for this first. Also with the 800K.....but this i can understand that i must have on a thai bank....

Coronavirus is going to put a lot of strain on banks everywhere...... especially in Asia

• 5 weeks later...
On 06/05/2020 at 01:13, Ru4Real said:

Above is  simple but you need to  do a visa run or extension  after your first  60 days then every 30 after.

If you dont want to apply for a new SETV in another country ( as it can take 5 days in some SEA countries).for me i did not want to wait in Manilla for it to be processes wile i was going to AC 

I would  do this little bit more costly get a METV in Germany for first 60 days arrival . Then a  visa run will get you another 60 days  and so on you can get up to 8 to 9 months out of it .

On 06/05/2020 at 15:04, Jansinger said:

As mentioned you will need a Thai approved insurance policy this price can be 50k to 100k dependant on age and your health. . A German bank only for A-O visa 

On 08/05/2020 at 14:23, Jansinger said:

ok, thank you - it all sounds a bit complicated - its crazy with the health insurance. So i must look for this first. Also with the 800K.....but this i can understand that i must have on a thai bank....

Your best of reading the Thai embassy website in your country for what is needed for each visa,

800k in Thai bank and no insurance necessary if its a non O you get in Thailand you will need to arrive on a SETV or non O in Germany.

If you get a A-O in Germany your money can be in a German bank but you will need Thai approved insurance policy links will be on their site you can get 2 years from this visa if you use it correctly.  

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.