IGNORED

Portable Bluetooth Speaker

jocky king

Hello Mr King!

I'm so happy to find out that there's another BM that has got cochlea implants! I've had mine for 3 and 1 year now, and my life is so much better now. It's really a journey, especially as it's spring time now and I'm able to hear birds etc. I can listen to music again but it doesn't always sound good, but at least I'm able to sing along to the hit songs I grew up with, and that means a lot to me.

Unfortunately I've got a Nucleus 7 on my left side and N6 on my right, so I need wireless connections between phone and CI to make it work, can't stream directly to CI.

Edited by Tarpon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Tarpon said:

Hello Mr King!

I'm so happy to find out that there's another BM that has got cochlea implants! I've had mine for 3 and 1 year now, and my life is so much better now. It's really a journey, especially as it's spring time now and I'm able to hear birds etc. I can listen to music again but it doesn't always sound good, but at least I'm able to sing along to the hit songs I grew up with, and that means a lot to me.

Unfortunately I've got a Nucleus 7 on my left side and N6 on my right, so I need wireless connections between phone and CI to make it work, can't stream directly to CI.

Lucky you have two , I have only one , government policy to give one for free (€40,000 for everything on one ear ) they won’t pay €80,000 to each patient , the babies have better chance to get two , rightly so , they need them the most than I . You can change it to Nucleus 7 after your N6 lifespan expired around 7 years ? 

First time I ever heard my dog , Jack Russell, walking around the house with clicking noise from his nails on his paws , never knew that .. Plus all the birds making noise at 6 am while I goes to work , the crows making a terrible noises ( caw caw ) , I never heard all that before .. Marvellous experience. Thanks again . 

4 hours ago, jocky king said:

You’re right , I need a portable one that can bring about the house and to the picnic or the w . Won’t definitely bring  it to thailand , if I like the one I’m going to buy , I might buy exactly the same in Pattaya for my condo .

The good news is the quality has came on a hell of a lot in the past few years, the bad news is that makes choosing more difficult 555 If you've got a few quid to spend might be worth getting a couple, one to stay in the house and one for picnics/ travelling and the likes. Few years back I went with the UE Boom as a mid-range pricewise travel speaker due to it being fairly rugged, excellent battery life (can use it to recharge phone), decent bass and sound. If I was looking for a new speaker to travel with. take to the beach etc. I'd likely get another UE ... UE Megaboom 3. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-bluetooth-speakers,review-1982.html

4 hours ago, jocky king said:

As you say what kind Of music I’m into ,  I still trying to find a right music for me cos I haven’t hear for 57 years due to my disability ( deaf ) , when I got Cochlear implanted , my brain haven’t heard the sound since birth , I’m gradually and learning to pick up words from the sounds ... The music I likes since recently is Rap , irish country songs , reggae , hip hop ,  and few more . I like the beat in the music in the most ... I’m still learning like a 2 years old ( my hearing only started in 2017. 

When you're looking at reviews keep an eye out for what the say about the sound quality, some are poor with bass, others distort with high notes, others lose midtones. Haven't looked for a while but reviewers used to give examples of the genres best suited and I assume they still would do. For what it's worth, have a look here https://www.techradar.com/au/news/audio/portable-audio/10-best-portable-speakers-1069079 note what they reckon is number 1 (recommended by thinkingallowed above) and here https://www.wired.com/gallery/best-bluetooth-speakers/.

Re Cochlear implant, amazing invention, saw a program fairly recently on the history and the faces on people (kids to old) on first hearing sound was truly a beautiful sight. Glad to read it's working out for you.

11 minutes ago, jocky king said:

Lucky you have two , I have only one , government policy to give one for free (€40,000 for everything on one ear ) they won’t pay €80,000 to each patient , the babies have better chance to get two , rightly so , they need them the most than I . You can change it to Nucleus 7 after your N6 lifespan expired around 7 years ? 

First time I ever heard my dog , Jack Russell, walking around the house with clicking noise from his nails on his paws , never knew that .. Plus all the birds making noise at 6 am while I goes to work , the crows making a terrible noises ( caw caw ) , I never heard all that before .. Marvellous experience. Thanks again . 

I need to wait maybe 5-6 years, and then they've promised me to change to identical CI on both sides. Maybe it's Nucleus N8 by then?

We need to get together if we're in town at the same time, sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Ru4Real said:

The good news is the quality has came on a hell of a lot in the past few years, the bad news is that makes choosing more difficult 555 If you've got a few quid to spend might be worth getting a couple, one to stay in the house and one for picnics/ travelling and the likes. Few years back I went with the UE Boom as a mid-range pricewise travel speaker due to it being fairly rugged, excellent battery life (can use it to recharge phone), decent bass and sound. If I was looking for a new speaker to travel with. take to the beach etc. I'd likely get another UE ... UE Megaboom 3. https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-bluetooth-speakers,review-1982.html

When you're looking at reviews keep an eye out for what the say about the sound quality, some are poor with bass, others distort with high notes, others lose midtones. Haven't looked for a while but reviewers used to give examples of the genres best suited and I assume they still would do. For what it's worth, have a look here https://www.techradar.com/au/news/audio/portable-audio/10-best-portable-speakers-1069079 note what they reckon is number 1 (recommended by thinkingallowed above) and here https://www.wired.com/gallery/best-bluetooth-speakers/.

Re Cochlear implant, amazing invention, saw a program fairly recently on the history and the faces on people (kids to old) on first hearing sound was truly a beautiful sight. Glad to read it's working out for you.

Many many thanks for few useful links ... And thanks for cochlear best wishes ..  

1 hour ago, Tarpon said:

I need to wait maybe 5-6 years, and then they've promised me to change to identical CI on both sides. Maybe it's Nucleus N8 by then?

We need to get together if we're in town at the same time, sometimes. 

Love to meet up , with Convid19 , hopefully I go in Xmas ( very doubtful ) , looks like I will be left go from work ( Museums, they rely too much on tourism ) .. if it happens, I think it is time for me to retire and live in Pattaya .. We’ll arrange the meet some day .. 

Edited by Ru4Real
Swapped out quoted post as guessing it shouldn't have been mine a second time :)

JBL Boombox is awesome, and you can find it for $350 USD when on sale. Otherwise the JBL Xtreme 2 would be the next option and can be found on sale for $160 USD. Many in this thread have vouched for these.

Ended up with the Sonos One at $200 USD as it has great sound and can use it with Alexa (or Google's voice assistant). The voice assistant was important to me. 

14 hours ago, jocky king said:

Will definitely go there to listen the Irish music .

Good - look forward to meeting you. Make sure you come up and introduce yourself, OK

I went for the Bose revolve plus, and then got another. And another. Using their sound link system i don't even bother with my stereo any more and completely portable, splash proof, etc 

Bose SoundLink Revolve Plus Review (2020): 360° Sound | iTest

• Like 2

I went for the UE Boom a few years ago then added a UE Boom2.

I find them excellent. Robust and great sound. Around £100 here.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

@jocky king , i had a UE BOOM and for some reason won't let me charge it anymore , i now have a BOSE SOUND DOCK  , comes with a shoulder carry bag , about $400 AU mine was 2nd hand $80 , works fine , great sound

when passing a duty free shop ask for a listen

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Bose Portable Home Speaker and I'm really happy with them.  A bit pricey tho!

Just an update ... JBL Xtreme 2 arrived last Tuesday ( delayed delivery due to Convid 0-19 ) , Very happy with it .  Thanks everyone here for sharing your experience. 

Edited by jocky king
  • Like 2