Bernie Num Nums

COVID-19 discussion

Bernie Num Nums
Posted (edited)

I'm a media sceptic about 90% of the bullshit online but this shit is getting real. If you want the crap scared out of you read this. It's one blokes experience in Italy.

https://www.boredpanda.com/coronavirus-outbreak-stages-italy-jason-yanowitz/

Edited by Ru4Real
Moved from main thread

Ru4Real

So, what's on your mind re the current situation? Thoughts, speculation, opinions, what's worrying you/humouring you, happening on a personal level due to the pandemic etc.

This is not a free for all, certainly not conspiracy theories - plenty of forums for that type of discussion ... PA isn't one of them.

Remember the RULES (especially no politics or bigotry) and PA's nice to be nice ethos.

Rob8489

642454f3942724c9e8b34cf63c0a8200.jpg

Re: Called Jetstar today re bringing my BKK-MEL flight forward. In short, I decided not to as there wasn’t much choice available.
————

For those looking to bring their Jetstar Melb-bound flights forward...

I called them this morning with the intention of bringing flight forward, from Thur March 26 to asap.

They said, the earliest flight back home for me was Tue March 24 (only 36 hours earlier than scheduled).

I decided not to take it as it’s not worth losing on $change fee + $flight diff + $lost hotel accom, only to get home 36 hours earlier (with still no guarantee of beating border closure start date). If it was a flight available in the next couple of days, then different story.

I’m just gonna ride it out.

FYI, for those looking to get back home asap, act quickly as flights are filling up.

CyberPro

OK...here are some facts and a PROBABLE or likely fact. 

The nurses I work with spend a lot of time scanning the web viewing techniques for donning/doffing isolation gear and other CV related topics. One, whose opinion I trust, said data from China indicates that transmission is droplet and surface-based rather than airborne.

That would mean that sanitizing surfaces, hand washing and protecting eyes, nose and mouth from droplets is key. Since my plan to bail from my health care gig appears to be failing I think I'll wear surgical masks or better at work, add side shields to my glasses and continue to scrupulously disinfect work surfaces plus good hand hygiene. As my nurse friend said, it's probably the people walking around not knowing they are carriers who are the greatest risks.

Other references say transmission IS airborne so I'd do my best to protect against that as well, ie negative pressure rooms where available, plus distance. 

"Airborne spread happens when a germ floats through the air after a person talks, coughs, or sneezes. Germs may land in the eyes, mouth, or nose of another person. If a germ is airborne, direct contact with the infected person is NOT needed for someone else to get sick. Airborne spread diseases include: chickenpox, tuberculosis.

Droplet spread happens when germs traveling inside droplets that are coughed or sneezed from a sick person enter the eyes, nose, or mouth of another person. Droplets travel short distances, less than 3 feet (1 meter) from one person to another. A person might also get infected by touching a surface or object that has germs on it and then touching their mouth or nose. Droplet spread diseases include: plague, Ebola."

http://kanehealth.com/Documents/Diseases/Ebola-infections-spread-by-air-or-droplets.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/basics/transmission-based-precautions.html

Bawdy
47 minutes ago, Rob8489 said:

642454f3942724c9e8b34cf63c0a8200.jpg

Re: Called Jetstar today re bringing my BKK-MEL flight forward. In short, I decided not to as there wasn’t much choice available.
————

For those looking to bring their Jetstar Melb-bound flights forward...

I called them this morning with the intention of bringing flight forward, from Thur March 26 to asap.

They said, the earliest flight back home for me was Tue March 24 (only 36 hours earlier than scheduled).

I decided not to take it as it’s not worth losing on $change fee + $flight diff + $lost hotel accom, only to get home 36 hours earlier (with still no guarantee of beating border closure start date). If it was a flight available in the next couple of days, then different story.

I’m just gonna ride it out.

FYI, for those looking to get back home asap, act quickly as flights are filling up.

I'm on the Saturday night flight, I had the choice originally of coming a week earlier or staying a week later, glad I chose the former!

Dr No

Well I’m 3 days into working from home here in Aus and I think it’s going to be a while before I get back to the office. My team is doing its best to stay connected but now the damn constant message alerts are starting to get to me. iMessage, Whatsapp, Skype, it just doesn’t stop all day long. 

I’m a little concerned this go on for more than a month, at least the dog is happy to have me home all day :)

kane666
36 minutes ago, Bawdy said:

I'm on the Saturday night flight, I had the choice originally of coming a week earlier or staying a week later, glad I chose the former!

I'm on Sunday morning, will be nervous until the wheels hit the tarmac in Perth.

Bawdy

^ You'll be right mate.

SirL

What's on my mind re Covid19?

As Sir Edward Grey nearly said in August 1914:

"The lamps are going out all over [Pattaya], we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime".

IMO when eventually Pattaya reopens, it'll be quite a bit different.

Danolo

I'm amazed. 

I was shopping yesterday at a local grocery store, and there were many shelves bare. No fresh meat except for a lonely package of dubious sausage, which one woman snatched up as soon as I put it down.  No meat dishes in the frozen food section, lasagna, etc, no toilet paper or paper towels, canned good getting low. Lots of fresh produce.

This all reminds me of stories told by elders of the rationing during the 2nd world war.

I have an apartment sized freezer full of food, the shelves are loaded, with more to come (salmon, sardines, etc.).

Who would have thought it would have come to this?

1500B

I returned to Melbourne 13.5 hours before the self-isolation started.

I met my sister at the airport without thinking about it and stayed with her and my BIL. Decided not to meet the nieces or my daughter when arriving back on the Goldie,

Was on the plane from Melbourne today and it was packed. Everybody seated closely together.

Very few masks evident.

Crew sold food to my seatmate, then passed him the tablet to enter his email address for a receipt.

Social distancing?

On the bus home, this young fella was swinging all over the support bars which were filthy with finger marks.

Ru4Real
28 minutes ago, Danolo said:

Who would have thought it would have come to this?

Same ridiculous situation in Australia, queue at Costco:

And what the PM had to say about hoarding:

NOTE: NO POLITICAL COMMENTS PLEASE - VIDEO FYI ONLY

plonka5

feeling very sad as this drags on 

my thai wife of 8yrs is up in the village after spending 6 months here in perth 

i am booked on thai to go to see her in may 9th for 5 nights and she also booked to come back to perth on  thai august 14th 

i love my wife so much   but one gets the feeling if we will ever get to see each other again or how long will it be till we see each other again 

i know it will pass this virus will go one day 

but what will be left of the world when its over or just how many more people will it kill 

what will the travel industry be like 

what will the currency exchage be like 

my bussiness has colapsed in the last few days with no chance of it ever recovering 

my next option is signing on the dole 

fuck  knows 

its all a very big worry 

Ru4Real

@plonka5 hang in there mate, you'll work your way through it one way or another.

1500B
3 minutes ago, plonka5 said:

its all a very big worry

I feel for you mate. It is all too easy to think in the midst of crisis that everything is screwed and you will never recover.

And there is nothing wrong with that. It helps to protect the species.

But human history is on your side, And so am I, for a big bounce back down the track.

Cheers brother.

plonka5

thanks for your support and kind words 

Ru4Real
10 hours ago, Bernie Num Nums said:

It's one blokes experience in Italy.

A few more insights from Italy, some of which may make people think.

Atlas
36 minutes ago, plonka5 said:

feeling very sad as this drags on 

my thai wife of 8yrs is up in the village after spending 6 months here in perth 

i am booked on thai to go to see her in may 9th for 5 nights and she also booked to come back to perth on  thai august 14th 

i love my wife so much   but one gets the feeling if we will ever get to see each other again or how long will it be till we see each other again 

i know it will pass this virus will go one day 

but what will be left of the world when its over or just how many more people will it kill 

what will the travel industry be like 

what will the currency exchage be like 

my bussiness has colapsed in the last few days with no chance of it ever recovering 

my next option is signing on the dole 

fuck  knows 

its all a very big worry 

Mate I hear you. 

We had just spent the last 10 months or so back in Aus. Then my Wife came back a month earlier than me, that was January. I was supposed to be going to the USA 15th Apr. Not happening. 

I have been back here nearly 3 weeks, before the shit really hit the fan. As you know our Gov't has said for all Aussies to come home. I have looked at some flights, but they are rapidly filling by the looks. We have just had Momma and the kids arrive. The kids are changing schools, the Mother In law and nephew (4 yo) are here also. There is no sense to me returning to Aus when everything I need/have is here. My family back home don't need me in the picture at this time, if they do, I will make my way back. 

In the meantime I hope to stay well, but having just had a crap 2 weeks of being sick, non COV19 related, I hope I have enough strength to see me through. Let's face it even if we do catch it there is not a lot we can do. I consider myself one of the lucky ones, though if our $AU goes any further down it will mean some serious cutting back... I see they are talking of 50c to the $US tonight... Fark.... 

Sadly where we find ourselves now is possibly where we will have to stay for the weeks or months ahead. 

Let's hope we all come out the other side of this.... 

stubby

crazy in the supermarkets in perth hoarding going on everywhere i'm glad i put in a bum gun 555 "the end is nigh" 

NorCalKid
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, CyberPro said:

OK...here are some facts and a PROBABLE or likely fact. 

The nurses I work with spend a lot of time scanning the web viewing techniques for donning/doffing isolation gear and other CV related topics. One, whose opinion I trust, said data from China indicates that transmission is droplet and surface-based rather than airborne.

That would mean that sanitizing surfaces, hand washing and protecting eyes, nose and mouth from droplets is key. Since my plan to bail from my health care gig appears to be failing I think I'll wear surgical masks or better at work, add side shields to my glasses and continue to scrupulously disinfect work surfaces plus good hand hygiene. As my nurse friend said, it's probably the people walking around not knowing they are carriers who are the greatest risks.

Other references say transmission IS airborne so I'd do my best to protect against that as well, ie negative pressure rooms where available, plus distance. 

"Airborne spread happens when a germ floats through the air after a person talks, coughs, or sneezes. Germs may land in the eyes, mouth, or nose of another person. If a germ is airborne, direct contact with the infected person is NOT needed for someone else to get sick. Airborne spread diseases include: chickenpox, tuberculosis.

Droplet spread happens when germs traveling inside droplets that are coughed or sneezed from a sick person enter the eyes, nose, or mouth of another person. Droplets travel short distances, less than 3 feet (1 meter) from one person to another. A person might also get infected by touching a surface or object that has germs on it and then touching their mouth or nose. Droplet spread diseases include: plague, Ebola."

http://kanehealth.com/Documents/Diseases/Ebola-infections-spread-by-air-or-droplets.pdf

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/basics/transmission-based-precautions.html

Flue/Influenza would be droplet precautions in hospital not airborne.  I too was surprised that we are using airborne precautions for this new one.  Though staff should be fine with taking care of airborn ISO pts (though it's a lot more time and resource intensive)the problem is there are very few negative pressure rooms available and now your using N95 masks or hoods vs basic surgical masks.  I guess they would have to just make "dirty" wards if overwhelmed with these pts.  The key would be having quick testing available so they could be isolated before spreading it to the non infected pts.  

The hospital will get the non public briefings and have their own numbers of cases.  You will know it's guna get bad when they start canceling all non urgent procedures and making beds available.  

Edited by NorCalKid

Kahoy
Posted (edited)

The world will come out of the this eventually but I question whether I will be one of those lucky ones who make it as a 65 year old with hypertension, let alone my 91 year old mother who lives alone.

I think disparaging panic buying is misplaced. It's common sense that stocking up on basics reduces the need to go shopping in the future when the case load will inevitably be higher and the risk greater. Instead the government should taking a big picture view and opening bulk outlets for those basics such as toilet paper, soap and canned goods. Looking back to the Spanish Flu, would it have done any good to tell people not to panic?

Another huge issue is the plight of casual and gig economy workers who can't afford to stop working. Instead of bailing out huge companies to run airlines which aren't used and other companies which dominate retail, they should instead allow these overgrown monoliths to go under. For decades now we have seen the demise of small business with the unchecked growth of huge monopolies. It's time to reverse that trend. Huge bailouts for big companies which will go under anyway will only result in inflation down the road as that money has to be paid back. Many of these companies used tax cuts (public money) to buy back stocks instead of stimulating the economy and that money has now been pissed into the wind. Why should we now bail them out?

What we are looking at is a collapse in the economy and another great depression. We need to maintain consumption and streamline red tape and reduce administration. Policies like work tests for the dole have to go. I see that an American senator is talking to the white house about bringing in a basic living wage. I think this is a very good idea as it maintains consumer demand while allowing the march of technology and automation to go ahead. This is a concept that has been debated for some time and I think it's time to seriously consider it. The emphasis needs to be on public health, not saving the economy. Forcing the lower income workers to keep working for the equivalent of basic living wage or less will only make things worse.

Edited by Kahoy

Ru4Real
22 minutes ago, NorCalKid said:

You will know it's guna get bad when they start canceling all non urgent procedures and making beds available.  

Or throw money at hospitals to try and get ahead of things as one of our States did...

The Victorian Government has announced an elective surgery blitz ahead of the peak of the coronavirus pandemic which is expected in "only a few weeks", the state's Health Minister says.

The Andrews Government announced a $100 million package of initiatives to help the state flatten the peak of the health crisis so that hospitals were not overrun.

As part of the package, the Government is giving both public and private hospitals more than $60 million to undertake elective surgery for more than 7,000 "vulnerable" patients.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-15/victorian-government-funds-elective-surgery-blitz-ahead-of-peak/12057420

Other States here warning they "may be put on hold".

Dazza118
1 hour ago, NorCalKid said:

You will know it's guna get bad when they start canceling all non urgent procedures and making beds available.  

Already have in the UK.

davidge
22 minutes ago, Dazza118 said:

Already have in the UK.

Yes, all non-urgent appointments/procedures in Wales were stopped last Friday. Hospitals & GPs.