IGNORED

AWS OpenVPN

javasumatra

Hi All,

AWS + OpenVPN. Anyone set one up? I did over the weekend, It's absolutely awesome...

Give wireguard a try if you are using it on mobile, will save your battery and reconnects seamlessly when you change networks. Its also easier to setup.

Edited by wes12

• 2 weeks later...

Why AWS? I feel like you'd be paying a lot extra for an instance there over paying for something on Digital Ocean or a similar cheaper VPS site. Honestly, lowendbox.com is perfect to find deals on cheap VPSs. (Not trying to spam, I have no affiliation with the place).

• Like 2

On 17/03/2020 at 00:44, blueforever25 said:

Why AWS? I feel like you'd be paying a lot extra for an instance there over paying for something on Digital Ocean or a similar cheaper VPS site. Honestly, lowendbox.com is perfect to find deals on cheap VPSs. (Not trying to spam, I have no affiliation with the place).

I've tried lots of different VPNs over time and all of them including ExpressVPN and nordVPN have been very hit and miss with BBC iPlayer, ITV HUB, My5 etc. OpenVPN on AWS loads fast every time, never fails me, I'm using a free tier t2.micro and costs cents.

I'll look into VPS, never heard of it before. Thanks,

Edited by javasumatra

1 hour ago, javasumatra said:

I've tried lots of different VPNs over time and all of them including ExpressVPN and nordVPN have been very hit and miss with BBC iPlayer, ITV HUB, My5 etc. OpenVPN on AWS loads fast every time, never fails me, I'm using a free tier t2.micro and costs cents.

If that is what you are using a VPN for than AWS does make some sense, especially if you can keep it to their free tier (which does only last a year). Self hosted VPNS will almost always be better than buying VPN access from a provider because places like BBC and Netflix can get the IP blocks of those companies and then block those IPs from accessing their service. If your t2.micro is serving you well then I'd say stick with it - the time invested in projects like this can often be more important than the money invested for most people :)

• Like 1

On 03/03/2020 at 12:49, javasumatra said:

Hi All,

AWS + OpenVPN. Anyone set one up? I did over the weekend, It's absolutely awesome...

I've been running an OpenVPN setup on AWS EC2 instance for several years for work. I use it with elliptical curve secp521 instead of the default RSA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, javasumatra said:

AWS EC2 is a VPS (virtual private server).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blueforever25 said:

. If your t2.micro is serving you well then I'd say stick with it - the time invested in projects like this can often be more important than the money invested for most people :)

I've got ExpressVPN paid up for the rest of the year. I just enjoy tinkering around with stuff like this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/05/2020 at 10:57, Patanalog said:

I've been using NordVPN all along, but it might be worth a try...

A lot of the big VPN providers have issues, Especially accessing BBC iPlayer from abroad.