Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Dollhouse XXX | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Dan About Thailand | NWG 2020 Charity Appeal | NEW PA website | Add your Text or Event here

Sign in to follow this  
Frizzy

Where should we go in Thailand?

Frizzy

My boyfriend and I are considering a short trip to Thailand in Aug 2020. 
We prefer authentic food experiences, meeting new local people and comfortable surroundings. We have both been to Thailand before and would like to visit somewhere we have never been to. Apart from Bangkok and Pattaya, which are the top attractions in Thailand? Help me pick the perfect location for us. Where should we go?

Bonkabit

Chiang Mai, about 60min north of Bangkok. Frequent flights from Suvarnabhumi and from Don Muang airports.

Guidebook 'Chiang Mai' from Lonely Planet will give you all information.

Greg_B
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bonkabit said:

Chiang Mai, about 60 min north of Bangkok. Frequent flights from Suvarnabhumi and from Don Muang airports.

Guidebook 'Chiang Mai' from Lonely Planet will give you all information.

I agree 100% on that, it's a beautiful city and very easy to get around in. The zip-line attraction is great and so is the tour of the mountains

https://www.flightofthegibbon.com/en/locations/chiang-mai

Edited by Greg_B

Piece Corp

Chiang Mai in August isn’t bad but they finished February with the worst air quality of any city in the world

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383081

Bonkabit
On 02/03/2020 at 17:04, Piece Corp said:

Chiang Mai in August isn’t bad but they finished February with the worst air quality of any city in the world

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383081

The bad air quality is seasonal, due to the burning off of the stubble etc in the fields and clearing forest.

It is awful when it occurs.

Suggest you do some checking on exactly when it happens; I think it is early in the calendar year.

Perhaps someone local can advise.

I remember some years ago reading that the government was going to control the seasonal burning by permitting it only with a limited number of permits and with penalties for non-compliance. Suspect that little or nothing has been done.

superoger

Chiang Mai is your town to go, but better wait a few weeks to come over...

The air quality is crazy awful as of right now... You'd not have a good time for sure as this situation ruins everything...

Also we all better just stay in our homes for a few weeks anyway. After this whole thing is over you can come over and you won't be disappointed

Arnie85

They won’t be able to enter the country currently with the lockdowns anyway.  OP said August in the first post, hopefully we’re back to normality by then. 

Buddy Edgewood

Krabi, Koh Samed, Hua Hin,  all great places to check out,  and not as many tourists as some of the bigger named spots.

Joethescot

Kanchanaburi, you can take the bus,train or private hire from Bangkok it’s about 2-3hrs away. 
so much to do, get a lovely  hotel on the river. Visit Erawin waterfalls, death railway, commonwealth cemetery in town and the terrific museum. Also have hellfire pass to visit.

Or just chill at your hotel on the river, read a book,swim and enjoy.

My fav place after Pattaya both so different.

Hope to go up with my friend @tolewfo September after our May trip was busted.