IGNORED

First Time Golfing in Thailand

KanoMike

Hello,

Just got back from Thailand. Was there for 22 days and golfed 21 rounds. Too much golf even for me. Went through Thai-Ger line. No complaints, every thing went pretty smooth. Will for sure, use them next year.

Cheers,

KM

• Like 2

Wow, that’s a full schedule.  Be interesting to hear about your top 3 courses????

Hope you had a little spare time for non golfing fun.

3 minutes ago, keepitfun said:

Wow, that’s a full schedule.  Be interesting to hear about your top 3 courses????

Hope you had a little spare time for non golfing fun.

1. Phoenix

2. Khao Kheo

3. Eastern Star/Green Wood /Pattaya CC/Burapha/Bangpra (tie)

Worst courses

1. Emerald

2. Thai Navy

3. King Naga

I had a LLT, so had plenty of time to play

KM

Love the Phoenix. Did you play Green Valley, that one is always in good condition.

So many courses seem to dry out this time of year, not worth playing IMO. I just choose the ones that are well looked after.

21 games is 22 days is very energetic, well done. Twice  week is enough for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, penboy said:

Love the Phoenix. Did you play Green Valley, that one is always in good condition.

So many courses seem to dry out this time of year, not worth playing IMO. I just choose the ones that are well looked after.

21 games is 22 days is very energetic, well done. Twice  week is enough for me.

Did not play Green Valley, there were dry fairways, but was no different than the courses I have played in Jamaica, DR and Mexico at the same time of the year. All of the lack fairway grass and have no rough compared to here in Minnesota, USA.

13 minutes ago, KanoMike said:

Did not play Green Valley, there were dry fairways, but was no different than the courses I have played in Jamaica, DR and Mexico at the same time of the year. All of the lack fairway grass and have no rough compared to here in Minnesota, USA.

King Naga has little maintenance, but the price is very cheap especially if they let you play with no caddy. Emerald fell in to financial difficulty a couple of years ago, so is another course that has become scruffy and requires better maintenance. Mountain Shadow and Crystal Bay are another 2 I am boycotting.

Thai Navy and Treasure Hill are the 2 courses that have horrible ''cow'' grass. Makes chipping and pitching very difficult.

Pattaya is a great location for golf as there are so many courses within a 45 minute drive.

What are green fees currently? I haven’t been since 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Never assume an unexploded goat is evidence of a good decompression profile.

17 minutes ago, Gdaaym8z said:

What are green fees currently? I haven’t been since 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

King Naga was around 300 baht, Phoenix 1,400 baht. Some golfing groups get discounts, courses change their prices for high and low season.

Not used Tiger-Line, I go with the Golf Club or Travellers Rest guys, all very friendly and from what i hear cheaper as well.

All play the same great courses wheels up in 5 days, yeepee

For a first time visitor to Pattaya I would recommend Thaigerline. Sure they are a little more expensive but they are really well organized, welcoming and there are no cliques. I can recall on my first visit play 5 times a week - every week....so I understand the OPs ‘addiction’ to golfing in LoS.

I've never used Thaigerline but the guy who runs it (Swiss or German?) is helpful. He only has small groups which means no hanging around to tee off and I believe they pick you up from your hotel room. It will suit someone on a short term trip.

On 21/02/2020 at 14:55, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

For a first time visitor to Pattaya I would recommend Thaigerline. Sure they are a little more expensive but they are really well organized, welcoming and there are no cliques. I can recall on my first visit play 5 times a week - every week....so I understand the OPs ‘addiction’ to golfing in LoS.

Never used them myself but a couple of mates went to Pattaya with their wives (???) a couple of years ago and used Thaigerline and were very happy with them. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they pickup around 10.00am?

We prefer to leave for golf about 7.00 am.

• Like 1

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

23 minutes ago, farcanal said:

Never used them myself but a couple of mates went to Pattaya with their wives (???) a couple of years ago and used Thaigerline and were very happy with them. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they pickup around 10.00am?

We prefer to leave for golf about 7.00 am.

The daily golf tours leave 9/10 am. Not sure about the hotel private pick ups.

On 21/02/2020 at 20:55, penboy said:

I've never used Thaigerline but the guy who runs it (Swiss or German?) is helpful. He only has small groups which means no hanging around to tee off and I believe they pick you up from your hotel room. It will suit someone on a short term trip.

It’s a German guy called Fabian who runs Thaigerline. I sometimes use the daily golf tours - just put your name down on the board in hq in soi Choiapoon for the following day. 

They also do hotel pickup for private groups.

They leave at 9 or 11 AM during the week and at 10 AM on the weekends. Love leaving at 11 AM as I get an extra hour of sleep.

KM

On 16/02/2020 at 06:49, KanoMike said:

I had a LLT, so had plenty of time to play

KM

so did she....

LOL

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/02/2020 at 20:57, KanoMike said:

They leave at 9 or 11 AM during the week and at 10 AM on the weekends. Love leaving at 11 AM as I get an extra hour of sleep.

KM

We're all different.

My group are all early risers, breakfast by 6.45 am, into the cab by 7.00 am.Generally tee off between 8.00 and 8.30.

Back in Patts early to mid afternoon, time for a leisurely coffee, massage before the night time kicks in.

It really is a relaxing pastime.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/03/2020 at 02:19, farcanal said:

We're all different.

My group are all early risers, breakfast by 6.45 am, into the cab by 7.00 am.Generally tee off between 8.00 and 8.30.

Back in Patts early to mid afternoon, time for a leisurely coffee, massage before the night time kicks in.

It really is a relaxing pastime.

Now that seems like a day for sure.  Might limit nighttime activities if having to rise by 6:45am but the great thing about playing early is that the rest of the day is wide open.

I haven't been to Patts yet but I would also expect that with the high heat in the middle of the day it's probably more ideal to play earlier in the day

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2020 at 16:20, The Goose said:

Now that seems like a day for sure.  Might limit nighttime activities if having to rise by 6:45am but the great thing about playing early is that the rest of the day is wide open.

I haven't been to Patts yet but I would also expect that with the high heat in the middle of the day it's probably more ideal to play earlier in the day

Hi mate, sorry for my late reply, my computer has been in the shop.

Apparently my motherboard was motherfucked.....over 2 weeks and 2 different shops to rectify.

Me and my mates have been travelling to Pattaya for 12 years for golfing trips. Always played in the mornings mainly, as you say, because the rest of the day is ours to enjoy. It's always a bit cooler in the morning.

We tried an afternoon round once, found ourselves sitting around the hotel twiddling our thumbs because nothing is open, couldn't even get an early massage.

None of us are night time party animals, much prefer a nice meal, followed by an erotic massage and then bed. We have all taken short and long time girls , with a bit of grumbling from the LT's because of the early morning start, but doing bar crawls and drinking too much is off the table for us.

Anyway, that's our way. Here's hoping we can get back to Thailand for more of the same.

• Like 3