Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Dollhouse XXX | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Dan About Thailand | NWG 2020 Charity Appeal | Add your Text or Event here 
forcebwithu

Show ID To Pay Electric Bill

forcebwithu

This is a new one. We've been using either the neighborhood Tesco-Lotus Express or 7-11 store for years to pay our electric and water bills. Today my TGF went to pay the electric bill at Tesco and they asked for her Thai ID card. She didn't have it with her so they wouldn't let her pay the bill. I went later to see if it was just Thai they were asking for ID, but unfortunately a Thai neighbor was there and being a good neighbor she used her ID so I could pay the bill.

Another neighbor reported 7-11 isn't asking for ID, so this silliness is only a Tesco thing.

Anyone else had the same experience?

forcebwithu
5 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

Started a couple of months back I believe.

Just checked my receipt for the last month's bill and it was paid at Tesco with no ID required. Very strange requirement. Can't for the life of me understand what they hope to accomplish requiring an ID to pay a bill using cash.

talung66

17 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

This is a new one. We've been using either the neighborhood Tesco-Lotus Express or 7-11 store for years to pay our electric and water bills. Today my TGF went to pay the electric bill at Tesco and they asked for her Thai ID card. She didn't have it with her so they wouldn't let her pay the bill. I went later to see if it was just Thai they were asking for ID, but unfortunately a Thai neighbor was there and being a good neighbor she used her ID so I could pay the bill.

Another neighbor reported 7-11 isn't asking for ID, so this silliness is only a Tesco thing.

Anyone else had the same experience?

Is the bill in your name  if so get it paid direct debit from  PEA 

Another TIT

I dont know what showing ID is going to do paying a bill in the owners name as you say with cash.

Tesco it 5 baht cheaper 

Edited by talung66

Ru4Real
5 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Can't for the life of me understand what they hope to accomplish requiring an ID to pay a bill using cash.

Now don't laugh, and don't waste more than a few seconds trying to work it out (as I don't think it possible) but allegedly it's part of the measures being implemented to ... wait for it ... combat money laundering. :Dunno1:

Hallmark

I'm sure it is my water bill but I could be wrong and it maybe my electric bill but the local 7-11 started pointing at some machine before I could pay it, I just shrugged my shoulders and they tapped something on the till and it was sorted ??

Money laundering eh ? FFS these people just get dafter and dafter 5555

Ru4Real
3 minutes ago, Hallmark said:

Money laundering eh ? FFS these people just get dafter and dafter 5555

Yep, same deal as the Rabbit Card in Bkk, because everyone knows the best way to launder a few dodgy million is to ride the BTS non-stop and pay a few hundred thousand electricity bills 555

usexpat46

For electric bill I pay at the PEA office located in Big C Extra near the food court.  Water bill I transfer funds from my Thai bank account to the condo bank account.

GorGuy

I pay mine using the phone. My bank app, select pay bills and put in your customer number for the electric. No ID required.

Hallmark
7 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

Yep, same deal as the Rabbit Card in Bkk, because everyone knows the best way to launder a few dodgy million is to ride the BTS non-stop and pay a few hundred thousand electricity bills 555

I'm sitting here just giggling at that because it's so stupid but so true. If any of the mafia want to launder some money they're welcome to come and pay my water and electric and internet too if they want ??

WalterA

Soon you will have to show your ID to bum bum a beach road hooker .... if someone wants to pay a bill ... hurray ... why do you need to show your ID ... unless you are a control freak .... it’s not like you are asking To withdraw money .... another ting tong rule to make life even more ting tong ....

WalterA
1 hour ago, Ru4Real said:

Now don't laugh, and don't waste more than a few seconds trying to work it out (as I don't think it possible) but allegedly it's part of the measures being implemented to ... wait for it ... combat money laundering. :Dunno1:

Lol .... 

49 minutes ago, Hallmark said:

I'm sitting here just giggling at that because it's so stupid but so true. If any of the mafia want to launder some money they're welcome to come and pay my water and electric and internet too if they want ??

yes, they can pay my electricity bills too ... I have my AC on all day and night so they are quite high too ...

forcebwithu

The anti-money laundering lunacy hit Lazada Wallet last year.

fforest
39 minutes ago, WalterA said:

Soon you will have to show your ID to bum bum a beach road hooker .... if someone wants to pay a bill ... hurray ... why do you need to show your ID ... unless you are a control freak .... it’s not like you are asking To withdraw money .... another ting tong rule to make life even more ting tong ....

Dont worry their is plenty more on the way where this one came from......Funny how new restrictions and RULES never seem to get reversed....

NorCalKid

Not surprised,  this is the way things are headed. I find it funny people move to Thailand for the freedoms they feel.  Me, I'm wondering when a stop by immigration will be required to take a shit. 

ChiFlyer

hmmm - I start paying my own water and electric bills for the first time next August. I was under the impression I could just pay them from my BB account. Not true?

Also these bills will arrive in the condo owner's name. Probably not a huge problem, as I can pay them at the condo office if need be, but a few clicks on the BB app would be better. One never knows what the line might look like at the condo office at any given time.

I will also have internet (probably CAT fiber) and Cable bills that arrive in my name. I would like to pay these out of my BB account as well.

talung66
2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

hmmm - I start paying my own water and electric bills for the first time next August. I was under the impression I could just pay them from my BB account. Not true?

Also these bills will arrive in the condo owner's name. Probably not a huge problem, as I can pay them at the condo office if need be, but a few clicks on the BB app would be better. One never knows what the line might look like at the condo office at any given time.

I will also have internet (probably CAT fiber) and Cable bills that arrive in my name. I would like to pay these out of my BB account as well.

if the condo has a chanote the electric  meter will be registered so electric will not be there issue

Water bill usually has the condo % added so it comes from them you can pay cash or by bank to there account ( you would still need to go to office to confirm payment TIT. 

+ not exactly sure for payment  but yes you can.

To me it's like this  

You can pay a bill month to month pay as you go  from your bank account with a QR code or billing number ect.ect as stated above as well with bank app

Or you can set up direct debit  with the PEA and pay electric  but  your not the owner so i wouldn't do it that way.

Jebb

I always pay at Family Mart, never been asked once in 3 years.

striderman

i run a few thousand baht balance at the condo office that i top up every 3 months or so and they pay my electricity on my behalf

dave01
10 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Dunno if this will help... but the way I do it is have the lady who manages the place I live in, pay water, power, net, cable and then just add it to my monthly rental bill... It has worked perfectly for a couple of years, but other places may be different...

gazO

Had this last week went to local Tesco Lotus in the sticks got asked first time for ID. Showed my driving licence (passport number on) NO showed photo copy my passport NO was answer. I Walked off went to 7/11 just paid it what a load of shit this is.

logboy
14 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I start paying my own water and electric bills for the first time next August. I was under the impression I could just pay them from my BB account. Not true?

I pay water and electric with my BB account on my mobil.