IGNORED

Common Sak Yant

I've seen this tattoo on many Thais and I've been told that it means "Good Luck" but I take that with a lack of better translation. I've searched on http://www.sak-yant.com and couldn't find anything. I searched the net but could only find that it was a prayer of some sort and it looks like Angelina Jolie has it tattooed on her left shoulder. Can any of you out there shed some light on this?

Cheers,

Zee

sakyant.jpg

TBH I don't know that much about them. traditionally they were said to impart certain qualities to the people who had them. The most obvious example is the tiger, soldiers would have them done to give themselves tiger like qualities. Ones done by revered monks or at revered temples might be done to protect people, Thais often boast that they are bullet proof (ying mai khao= shoot not enter) because of their tattoos or religious amulets. These days they are just as often a fashion statement. There is a good thread about them on this forum somewhere with pictures and details of where they can be done authentically by a monk at a temple. The script on them is not Thai.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

You might find this thread of interest.

Thanks Doc but I've used the search button here on PA and am familiar with what Sak Yant is. What I'm looking for is pictures of tattoos and their meanings. For the picture I've attached above there are 5 rows. What does each mean? Is it specific to the wearer of the tattoo? The topic was to find out what the specific tattoo means vice "What is Sak Yant?"

Thanks Doc but I've used the search button here on PA and am familiar with what Sak Yant is. What I'm looking for is pictures of tattoos and their meanings. For the picture I've attached above there are 5 rows. What does each mean? Is it specific to the wearer of the tattoo? The topic was to find out what the specific tattoo means vice "What is Sak Yant?"

I really don't know, it's certainly not Thai script on those rows, a form of Sanskrit I would guess. . Why not ask a monk at a temple? especially at one where they actually do them, They might have examples that you could photograph. I'm sure that you could make a great thread from your investigations.

The language is called Pali , it is the Buddha script recognized from Laos , Burma , Thailand and Cambodia

The combined letters form a prayer known in Thai as a "kata" and or a magic spell as westerners may call it.

The language is called Pali , it is the Buddha script recognized from Laos , Burma , Thailand and Cambodia

The combined letters form a prayer known in Thai as a "kata" and or a magic spell as westerners may call it.

here's a link to some descriptions of Pali which is derived from Sankrit.

I really don't know, it's certainly not Thai script on those rows, a form of Sanskrit I would guess. . Why not ask a monk at a temple? especially at one where they actually do them, They might have examples that you could photograph. I'm sure that you could make a great thread from your investigations.

You're right, it is Sanskrit. My friend ElJesus got his Yants at a wat about 1/2 an hour north of BKK when we were here last September. I'm just trying to do my due diligence before I go so I don't look like a dumb falang. You know I don't want to be one of those guys that thinks it's cool to get a tattoo in Kanji and it turns out it means "Supermarket" instead of "Peace". :P

I would suggest contacting Mr Deam via the information posted on ackademik1's thread that Dr. Winston put a link to.

I went with mr deam to the same temple, just southwest of bangkok if I am not mistaken and had one done. The monk asked to chant a Kata with him relating to the tattoo he gave me. If you sign up to Sak Yant .com you can get the meanings of individual tattoos.

This is all I really know about it. I tend to do a lot of traveling and have gotten one that is supposed to protect in all directions of the universe during travels.

The monk that did Acka's/Jason's tattoos is very very good and it was top quality. That monk wasnt available the day I went and settled for a different. The work was ok, but not as good as Acka's. But none the less, I am pleased with the experience. It isnt the worst tattoo that I have, but probably is one with the second most meaning.

• 4 weeks later...

The yant pictured is the "Yant Ha Tei" (5 colums). Ajarn Anek does them as well. He's about 20-30 min. off the walking st. area by car. Here's a link to a video of him doing the Yant Ha Tei.

I would suggest contacting Mr Deam via the information posted on ackademik1's thread that Dr. Winston put a link to.

I went with mr deam to the same temple, just southwest of bangkok if I am not mistaken and had one done. The monk asked to chant a Kata with him relating to the tattoo he gave me. If you sign up to Sak Yant .com you can get the meanings of individual tattoos.

This is all I really know about it. I tend to do a lot of traveling and have gotten one that is supposed to protect in all directions of the universe during travels.

The monk that did Acka's/Jason's tattoos is very very good and it was top quality. That monk wasnt available the day I went and settled for a different. The work was ok, but not as good as Acka's. But none the less, I am pleased with the experience. It isnt the worst tattoo that I have, but probably is one with the second most meaning.

I went with Mr. Dream today to Wat Bang Phra. It was super busy and a very interesting time. Well worth the time and money

The first row provides charms, the second brings good fortune, the third provides successful job and business, the fourth is your sign of zodiac, the fifth is to gain charisma. The script is Khmer. This tattoo was popularized by Ajarn Noo. It is commonly referred to as "a 5-row yantra".

• 4 months later...

This red lines are copied from http://www.sak-yant.com/?page_id=409

The name of this Yant is: Yant Ha Taew ยันต์ห้าแถว The meaning is:

The first row prevents punishment in court cases, and cleans and protects your abode. Second line reverses bad horoscope constellations and bad Karma, third row protects against black magic and curses - fourth line is for luck and fortune, and success in one’s projects - fifth and last row is an attraction charm to make you attractive loveable, and also boosts the luck and fortune already laid out in the 4th row kata, and prevents curses as in the 3rd row kata..

The thai beleve in this tattoos that it will protect them from all kind of things and give the a good life.

The thai even get possessed of the animals they have tattooed on their bodies. If this is supposed to work there must be a monk who bless the tattoo and it shall be done traditional by hand, not machine.

Many tattoo shops in Pattaya tattoo yants but this is not the real thing, this is only commercial.

Hope I understood you right, hope this was any help for you.

Best regards Mattias

Zeeman! Where you and el jesus been????? You guys still in Japan? Drop me a line. I got some friends visiting end of July and Soco is in Japan mid august. Be nice to meet up again--this time in a bigger city like Hiroshima or Fukuoka.

Let me know!

Hope you are both well.

And if you are in japan--hot enough for you? LOL 5555555

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

• 10 months later...

The yant pictured is the "Yant Ha Tei" (5 colums). Ajarn Anek does them as well. He's about 20-30 min. off the walking st. area by car. Here's a link to a video of him doing the Yant Ha Tei.

If anyone is interested in Sak Yant I produced a website for Archarn Anek a couple of years back, and take care of it, the link is below.

Have a good look at the Gallery page if you are into Sak Yant, in fact read the whole website.

http://www.poodumtattoo.com/

Bam Bam

PS: the Contact us email comes to me, make sure you read the FAQ page before firing off an email, I might not answer it.

Edited by Bam_Bam

That which doesn't kill me only makes me stronger

I bought a book by Ajarn Noo last time I was in Pattaya. It was quite hard to track down but I eventually found it in a Thai book store in Central ( I think ) Its in the far right corner facing beach road.Looks like it may be available in 7-11 as well according to the website below!

Its around 450 pages 3/4 in Thai and 1/4 in English and has lots and lots of designs and pictures of famous Thai celebs and Angelina.

I think you can buy it direct from Ajarn Noo's website/affiliated store here :

http://www.mongkolsoros.com/arjannu/?p=344

I am currently in the Uk at the moment and thinking of putting it on ebay. So if anyones interested PM me and I will send you my ebay details.

For me its individualism..... THEY ARE FOR ME ONLY!

Thats why I wear the camo pants..... but ....

here are my tatts... I only have Thai Buddhist style.. hope you like!

post-16021-005265200 1275824568_thumb.jpg

When you see someone without a smile give them one of yours!

http://www.newzealand.com

For me its individualism..... THEY ARE FOR ME ONLY!

Thats why I wear the camo pants..... but ....

here are my tatts... I only have Thai Buddhist style.. hope you like!

tatts.jpg

Nice - like the different colours. Do the colours have special meaning or is it just the fashion nowdays ?

BTW . I would get a doctor to look at that purple rash on your neck though - looks nasty :)

Archarn Anek in the Blue shirt, me with my back to the camera and a few of Anek's rellie's

I don't have anything that can't be covered with a short sleeved shirt, accept his signature on my right wrist, which I gotta say got me off a ticket when I was pulled up by the constabulary on the way back from Korat a couple of week-ends back.

Bam Bam

Anek and the lads.jpg

Don't know anything about tattoos and don't particularly like them on girls. But ... there are exceptions. This lady is 23, all of 4'8" tall: always makes my work trips to BKK memorable. :GoldenSmile1:

Back Tattoo.JPG

Angelina Jolie's Yan Ha Tel reads as follows I do believe, but could be wrong.

She is on the right, the one on the left is a friend of my wife.

May your enemies run far away from you.

If you acquire riches, may they remain yours always.

Your beauty will be that of Apsara.

Wherever you may go, many will attend, serve and protect you, surrounding you on all sides.

Bam Bam

Angelina Jolie - Dea.jpg