IGNORED

Buying Phone in Pattaya?

Soon2Thai

I'm heading to Pattaya at the end of Feb and since my phone isn't unlocked (EE) and just gotten a new contact I don't feel like getting it unlocked and using it out and about in Thailand plus I don't want to keep switching sims if I need to check texts etc from home so was looking for unlocked phones in the UK and the best one I could find was a Moto G5 that seemed semi-decent, I am assuming if I was to just buy one locked to a Thai network in Pattaya it would be a bunch cheaper right and probably overal easier since I wont have to wait in line to grab a sim at the airport etc since the store probably wont be as busy, any recommendations?

From what I've been told, phones sold by providers in Thailand cannot be locked to any specific provider by law. So you aren't likely to receive any kind of subsidy from a provider for buying a phone here vs. in the UK. If I were in your shoes, I would either get your phone unlocked before coming or buy a cheap one to use on the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using my old phone - Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. I recently got a new phone (Virgin A20) and now have the unlock code for my old phone. Once unlocked, I'll use it in Thailand with a Thai SIM. If it gets lost/stolen, not a big problem. I'll keep my new phone locked in my room safe.