Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

why are flights from BKK to Samui so expensive?

Jumpin Jack Flash

Thinking about taking a few days to one of the beach resorts, and I've never been to Koh Samui. But the cheapest I can see for a local return flight is £116.  

thats way more expensive than return flights to Krabi or Phuket (around £35).

I don't get it, both Krabi and Phuket are further away, and Phuket is a more expensive place to hang out, surely ?  What gives with these high prices for Samui ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, worldpunter said:

There is a monopoly on flights onto Samui . Bangkok Air holds the prices high , they own the airport  , 

Sure beats  the alternative a long drive and a 45 minute /90 minute boat trip

8 minutes ago, Pheat said:

Sure beats  the alternative a long drive and a 45 minute /90 minute boat trip

I take your point although I think the alternative really ought to be some kind of fair pricing model and competition. But tit.

1 minute ago, Pattaya Yu said:

I take your point although I think the alternative really ought to be some kind of fair pricing model and competition. But tit.

Will never happen Bangkok Airways own the airport on Samui 

‘First time I flew to Samui back in 91 was the same then inflated flight prices.

I have been looking at the Samui flights on Bangkok Air and I get the whole monopoly thing but was wondering if they ever have them on sale? I'm guessing not but who knows

It's certainly annoying.  I always preferred Samui to Phuket. Last time I went there I took the rail, bus, ferry route because I had the time. I have no idea how it compares to Phuket but Samui certainly isn't as cheap as it used to be. 

Taxis are also quite expensive both from the airport and the ferry.  

You can fly to Surat Thani and boat from there ,also take a look around town before crossing ,check ferry crossings times 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, worldpunter said:

You can fly to Surat Thani and boat from there ,also take a look around town before crossing ,check ferry crossings times 

AirAsia offer an all-in ticket from Don Muang airport in Bangkok. Fly to Surat Thani and then cross by ferry to Koh Samui. From the port it is about 20km to the main resort Chaweng on the east coast of Samui.

Check http://www.airasia.com

Bangkok Air actually built the airport on the island, before then everybody had no choice but to spend most of the day travelling to get to the island

Now people have a choice, they can either still spend most of the day travelling to the island the old way which is cheaper, or they can pay a bit extra to get a 45min direct flight

Most people on short holidays would rather pay for the flight rather than waste a whole day of their short holiday travelling to save what is not a lot of money at the end of the day

I flew direct from Bangkok to Phu Quoc 3 weeks ago with Bangkok Air.  I paid twice as much for a direct 80min flight, rather than flying via HCMC, which would have taken several hours and cost half the price

All makes sense now.  How much total time do you think it would take getting a flight to Surat Thani, then ferry to Samui, then taxi/tuk to resort/hotel ?  

5 hours ago, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

All makes sense now.  How much total time do you think it would take getting a flight to Surat Thani, then ferry to Samui, then taxi/tuk to resort/hotel ?  

Stay in Surat Thani for a day or two, do the An-Thong marine tour, relax and then go ahead with the crossing to Samui.

• Like 4

................................................................................................................

Bangkok airways is the airport owner this is the main reason. Those kind of prices didn't help Samui island. There are so many interest to leave things like this.

Inviato dal mio LYA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Another option is to do the Night Train, Ferry between BKK and Samui.  You can buy a combo ticket that includes the sleeper coach, ferry and transfer between the train station and ferry in surat thani

Plus you save a nights hotel accommodation on the train

I don't want long commutes, and lots of transport changes. If it was just me I wouldn't mind, but I'm taking 3 others on this trip (and I'll be paying the flights for 2 of them plus myself so thats why I'm baulking at the price), so I might have to look at other options. Samui was my first choice, mainly cos I haven't been, but there are other islands.

• 2 months later...
On 11/02/2020 at 18:02, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

I don't want long commutes, and lots of transport changes. If it was just me I wouldn't mind, but I'm taking 3 others on this trip (and I'll be paying the flights for 2 of them plus myself so thats why I'm baulking at the price), so I might have to look at other options. Samui was my first choice, mainly cos I haven't been, but there are other islands.

I had exactly the same issue in November 2018. 5 of us wanted to go to Samui but Bangkok Airways wanted around $200 a head (well in advance). We changed our plans and went to Phuket on Air Asia for about $40 return including bags. It was quite the blessing in the end as Samui was hit by really bad floods whilst we were in Phuket.

As has been mentioned Bangkok Air own the airport and their airport fees discourage others from flying. Up until a couple of years ago Thai Air had two flights a day and I believe discontinued them as it was their last 737 they had flying this route and they removed it from their fleet (all single isle aircraft I believe are now part of Thai Smile).  The other reason for them discontinuing was the the high airport fees and I remember reading a quote from Thai Air say it cost them as much in airport fees in Samui to land a 737 as it did a 747 in Bangkok!

Bangkok Air sometimes have sales on the Samui route but they are still never that cheap.

Another alternative is if you have Etihad points (and a couple of other partner airlines), it can be cost effective to use points on this route given the relative high cost per km of flying to Samui. If you are a Bangkok Air frequent flyer member you can get Etihad and other partner airline points credited to your Bangkok Air frequent flyer account and they have a relatively long life compared to some other programs 

"FlyerBonus points are valid until the 31st of December in the third year from the activity date"

But like all programs rules change regularly so check before you act!

People will always have the choice of travelling to the island by ferry, which is what everybody had to do before the private airport was built and flying became an option

Judging by the number of daily flights & flight ticket sales, the cost & time savings of a 45min flight from Bangkok is preferred by many people, rather than spending several hours travelling by other cheaper methods

I did the AirAsia flight a few years ago. I paid $90-110 for 2 tickets don mueng to Surat Thani, then 45-60 min bus transfer. 2-3 hour ferry ride. All up from start to stop 5 to 6 hour commute. The alternative with Bangkok Air was $600 for 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 10/02/2020 at 23:37, Jumpin Jack Flash said:

How much total time do you think it would take getting a flight to Surat Thani, then ferry to Samui, then taxi/tuk to resort/hotel ?  

A way to find out might be to check the timetable on Air Asia.com

That shows you the time from Don Muang airport in northern Bangkok. You do not mention your point of origin so please add on your estimate of time from where you start plus allowance for check-in etc.

Good luck.