Bono!

Bring wine to Thailand

Bono!

Going to patts next week, can see you can only bring 1L of wine legal, but if you bring 4-5 bottles will they say anything to than in the airport

Anyone ever got stop for that in the airport?

abholen

Is the 1 L rule specific to Thailand? Most countries allow you to take 5 L of alcohol in checked luggage.

LeoTex
4 minutes ago, abholen said:

Is the 1 L rule specific to Thailand? Most countries allow you to take 5 L of alcohol in checked luggage.

Really, most of the countries I have traveled to only allow 1 L.

With Thailand being one of them.

To the OP, if you do bring 5 L of wine into Thailand, I would declare them.

Even with the very slim chance of being caught, not worth the fine plus having what you brought in taken from you.

LeoTex

Bono!
8 minutes ago, abholen said:

Look like its 1L 

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/TH-Thailand-customs-currency-airport-tax-regulations-details.htm

Was planing to bring 4-5 bottles, but dont want to if there is a chance for they slapping me with a 20k fine in the airport

Kandinski
15 minutes ago, abholen said:

Could you name a few of these countries  outside the Caribbean area ?

davidge

It’s one litre of alcohol, which includes wine.

I’ve had luggage searched once in 32 years BUT it won’t be much fun if you are caught! 

Encora
44 minutes ago, Kandinski said:

Could you name a few of these countries  outside the Caribbean area ?

New Zealand allows 4.5 L or 6 standard bottles, OR 3 bottles of distilled each 1.125 L
Since bring wine to NZ is a bit like coals to Newcastle, I usually buy whiskey or gin on arrival at the airport....

Greg_B
1 hour ago, LeoTex said:

Really, most of the countries I have traveled to only allow 1 L.

With Thailand being one of them.

To the OP, if you do bring 5 L of wine into Thailand, I would declare them.

Even with the very slim chance of being caught, not worth the fine plus having what you brought in taken from you.

LeoTex

LeoTex knows the RULES, he use to bring some good tequila with the worm in the bottle (FLB days)

Bono!
1 hour ago, davidge said:

It’s one litre of alcohol, which includes wine.

I’ve had luggage searched once in 32 years BUT it won’t be much fun if you are caught! 

Had around 75 flights from Denmark to Bkk and many visa runs when I was living for 3 years in los, never got stoped for a luggage search, but also never bring any wine before, so dont know if they scan your luggage before you get it in bkk

I do enjoy a cold white wine on the balcony in the afternoon, but 1-2k for a bootle decent white wine is crazy in los 

davidge
4 minutes ago, Bono! said:

Had around 75 flights from Denmark to Bkk and many visa runs when I was living for 3 years in los, never got stoped for a luggage search, but also never bring any wine before, so dont know if they scan your luggage before you get it in bkk

I do enjoy a cold white wine on the balcony in the afternoon, but 1-2k for a bootle decent white wine is crazy in los 

They have X-ray machines, apparently, but not sure what affect they have on who is searched.

Bono!
2 minutes ago, davidge said:

They have X-ray machines, apparently, but not sure what affect they have on who is searched.

Me too,I have no idea, but guess its not worth to take the chance, only going for a few weeks this time, so just bring a bottle 

Thanks to all for you help

LeoTex
3 hours ago, Greg_B said:

LeoTex knows the RULES, he use to bring some good tequila with the worm in the bottle (FLB days)

And lets not forget the Tequila Rose I brought that Martin let us drink without the corkage fee, as long as he got his share. :Laugh1:

LeoTex

chelseafan
3 hours ago, davidge said:

It's random, of the 3 trips I made last year, my large suitcase (not my racksack incidentally which was strange) got screened twice.

I would never go over the limit. I may be wrong but isn't the fine 10x the duty + confiscation of goods?

Edited by chelseafan

gogul

High quality Tequila or Mezcal does not have the worm and you sip it like a single malt scotch. My favorite is Del Maguey Vida Chichcapa. It is not cheap, but that smooth smoky taste is one of a kind. The1st night back in BKK last trip one of my long time favorite girls and I got a little carried away we drank 3/4 of a fifth while partying and shagging in my hotel room. Then we took a taxi to Chinatown for some great street food, but we were both too far gone to enjoy the food, so we bagged it up and took it back to my hotel. What a night! 555. My girl was out of commision for a day and a half.

I am planning an exact repeat for my return only this time I will make sure we only consume half the bottle. BTW, I usually bring one fifth of quality Mezcal or Anejo Tequila plus 6 or 7 small travel bottles. I find Thailand is too hot for wine, but just right for Tequila.

Del Maguey Vida Chichcapa.jpg

Edited by gogul

woundedinlove

Thailand is not like most countries. Most countries you can bring in as much alcohol as you want, declare it and if you are over the duty free allowance you can pay the taxes and bring it into the country. 

Thailand is not  the same. You can bring in 1 litre. anything over that is not allowed. You cannot pay the taxes on excess amount, it must be handed in (and destroyed). 

murrinman

i have regularly brought back here 4-6 litres in the form of a wine cask good value and never had prying eyes in to my luggage 

mattl3

It is a 1L limit, it can be made up of however many bottles you like. Though, always declare it. If declared and over the limit, they will either remove it from you, or have you pay a hefty alcohol import tax. 

If undeclared and over, it will cause a world of issues that really is not worth the risk, especially since most alcohol and brands are readily available within Thailand.

Personally when I go, I bring one bottle of champagne as I find it harder to find within Pattaya.

Bertyboy59

I usually take a couple bottles of Port packed in my case and then buy a bottle of Ciroc vodka  duty free at the airport I’m departing from and I sometimes buy a bottle of Patron Tequila at Bkk when I arrive all for the missus.On the way back I pack a litre of Bells and a couple of bottles of that Thai stuff in the brown bottles that smells a little like ovenproof rum. Not had any problems either end. 

simon46

1 litre whether beer wine or spirit,  If you wish to smuggle get a TG to do so or I guess the threads about tobacco and multi 1000$ tea money may be the way it goes.

When they show you the cells your courage will quickly vanish.  Bet a TG just hands it over and smiles.

Little Evil

Never thought about this, but how would one get past the scan conveyor with 5 bottles of wine? Surely that would pop up. Not advisable, but I'm sure you could grease the rather bored looking person operating it so long as it's just wine and not a kilo or powder. 

pattayafan

Those of you that are on the ground, what are the options for purchasing wine once in Pattaya?  Can you get decent options at a fair price at Tesco or Big-C?  Are there wine shops in Pattaya?

Thanks. 

(thinking ahead for my next trip after this terrible Covid-19 hassle passes).

Greg_B
1 hour ago, pattayafan said:

Those of you that are on the ground, what are the options for purchasing wine once in Pattaya?  Can you get decent options at a fair price at Tesco or Big-C?  Are there wine shops in Pattaya?

Thanks. 

Villa Market near the Avenues Complex has always had a nice wine selection. There is another place in Central Festival but I forgot the name of it.

rhodie
1 hour ago, pattayafan said:

Thanks. 

Australian wines here are 5 times the cost that they are in Australia as an example.

striderman
2 hours ago, pattayafan said:

Thanks. 

there is a lot of duty on imported wine so even a bottle of average quality looks costly.

however if you get nabbed coming in with over 1 ltr of wine or anything else the most expensive wine you can find here is going to look fucking cheap because the fine (there is no such thing in LOS  as excess duty)   will be outrageous.............thousands and thousands of baht

Jarrod2518
On 09/02/2020 at 01:26, Bono! said:

You are lucky - from Sydney to BKK I always packed six(6)bottles of quality Reds into my checked in suitcase. Got stopped about 4 years ago and checked baggage,not hand luggage, through the scanner. The scanner picked up the selvin caps on the bottled wine. Was pulled over. Had a stern lecture on the RULES, lost 4 bottles of wine and sent off but no fine. Phew - I had six bottles I had bought duty free in my hand luggage. Nowadays I buy a couple of reasonable quality cask wine in Oz and put that in my checked baggage, So far no problems but on the other hand I have not been scanned nor stopped. So in over about 10 years one check-  but I was caught!