IGNORED

Mass shooting in Korat

forcebwithu

Bangkok Post has now posted the news, although it's not up to date as reports on FB have him holed up in T21.

12 killed as soldier opens fire in Korat

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: At least 12 people were reported killed and an unknown number injured in a shooting spree by a soldier who sprayed bullets at a commander, fellow soldiers and civilians in Muang district on Saturday.

The attacker first shot dead his commander and two others inside a military camp before fleeing in a stolen Humvee. He fired at civilians along the route to Terminal 21 shopping mall in Muang district. The attacker streamed the shootings in the mall on Facebook Live and took a selfie holding a rifle.

He was still posting text messages on Facebook at 7.10pm Saturday. An earlier post showed a picture of a hand holding a .44 Magnum with an amulet wrapped around the barrel.

Thai media reported that 12 people were killed. The number of injured people was not yet known.

Lt Gen Thanya Kriatisarn, commander of the Second Army Region, said police and soldiers were hunting the attacker, identified as Cpl Jakrapanth Thomma of Surathampithak camp.

The slain commander has been identified as Col Anantharot Krasae. A 63-year-old woman and another soldier were also killed at the camp. Other details of the attack are still emerging.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1853334/12-killed-as-soldier-opens-fire-in-korat

I suffer from PTSD, Post Thailand Stress Disorder =P

1 minute ago, bazkashmir said:

My girlfriends sister husband is police officer in korat he just send these pictures on our line group. 

Out of respect to those that have died, please don't post photos of the dead.

• Like 3

Just now, bazkashmir said:

latest report, 16 hostages on the 4th floor T21

Please no more photos of the dead. It’s not a Thai newspaper here.

Very sad :( 

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

That's terrible, I hope it gets resolved soon. May the victims RIP.

My girlfriend, her two children aged 6 and 8, and me spent a day in this centre in November.

I think about all the kind people working there that we met, all the visitors like ourselves, and the safe and friendly atmosphere we encountered. I can’t imagine the horror they must have been through today. So painful that it is even still going on.

• Like 2

Porque la vida es sueño, y los sueños sueños son

Hard to believe they still haven't captured or killed the shooter.

20 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Hard to believe they still haven't captured or killed the shooter.

You have to secure the building, then send in armed commandos to do a systematic room by room search. Takes time unfortunately, you don't want others to die unnecessarily. I speak on behalf of myself and no doubt many others is that the outcome of this terrible tragedy is that this gun toting coward is found dead asap. The real concern now is copy cats imo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Good its over. Surprising it happened here.

The BBC reports thailand is one of the highest gun owning countries in the world.  I've only ever known 2 thai people that said they owned guns.  Do you think its true ?

Bit of an unfortunate conicidence for the Terminal 21 brand name. 20+1 dead.

3 minutes ago, rog555 said:

The BBC reports thailand is one of the highest gun owning countries in the world.  I've only ever known 2 thai people that said they owned guns.  Do you think its true ?

Bangkok Post is reporting 25 killed, and I expect the death toll to be higher as there are several victims in critical condition.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easy/1853339/25-killed-as-soldier-opens-fire-in-korat

As for private ownership of guns, from what I've seen and heard there are a lot of unregistered firearms, so I'm not surprised Thailand is one of the highest gun owning countries in the world.

In regards to this mass shooting, how the hell did this guy get access to the heavy ordinance he had in his possession. We'll probably never hear how that happen, but it points to a serious security lapse in locking down their military weapons.

@forcebwithu: One of the people that he initially killed was a fellow soldier who was trying to stop him from stealing the weapons. However, I agree that he should not have been able to escape with that kind of firepower.

4 hours ago, rog555 said:

Every male in my wife’s family own a gun of some sort, from barettas to them long arse things they go hunt with.

Not sure if this is appropriate yet so Mods please remove if it isn't. My girl tells me the Thai grapevine says the cause of the rampage is that the shooter was angry he was owed commissions for selling land/houses for at least one senior officer and was told he wouldn't get any.

Edited by boingo

90 Days with a Thai Girl in Oz

"Whose leg do you have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"

It matters not how strait the gate,How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. William Ernest Henley

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

33 minutes ago, boingo said:

Not sure if this is appropriate yet so Mods please remove if it isn't. My girl tells me the Thai grapevine says the cause of the rampage is that the shooter was angry he was owed commissions for selling land/houses for at least one senior officer and was told he wouldn't get any.

That is being reported in mainstream media now as well.

................................................................................................................

1 hour ago, boingo said:

Sorry, if this is a daft question, but why would a soldier be handling property deals for officers? 

3 minutes ago, Bobmoore said:

Sorry, if this is a daft question, but why would a soldier be handling property deals for officers? 

Not sure on this one but Thais do business in strange ways so who knows for sure at this point

90 Days with a Thai Girl in Oz

"Whose leg do you have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"

It matters not how strait the gate,How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. William Ernest Henley

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png