IGNORED

Boarding pass required at immigration control at BKK

vivid2

I arrived at BKK on Wednesday night, and because I'm over 70 I went straight to the priority lanes. There were signs posted to have 3 things ready to show the immigration officer...

1. Passport

2. Completed T.M.6 form

3. Boarding pass

This was my 26th time going through immigration at Swampy, and I never had to show my boarding pass before. Luckily, I still had mine and I breezed right through. But several people ahead of me got turned away because they didn’t have their boarding passes. And boy were they were pissed!! I have no idea what happened to them. Hopefully they went back to the gate and got a duplicate.

Anybody know if this the new normal at all the immigration stations? Or is it just in the priority lanes??

I believe this changed last summer to prevent sales of priority passes to people who are not eligible...ie. business or first class.

• Like 2

I came in about 3 days ago (economy)and although it said boarding pass required it was not asked for.

• Like 1

Be like a dog,

" if you cant eat it, play with it, or fuck it. Piss on it and walk away."

I have always submitted my passport along with the boarding pass at the counter, more of a habit, never been asked before. The IO usually takes a cursory glance at it.

................................................................................................................

16 hours ago, vivid2 said:

I arrived at BKK on Wednesday night, and because I'm over 70 I went straight to the priority lanes. There were signs posted to have 3 things ready to show the immigration officer...

1. Passport

2. Completed T.M.6 form

3. Boarding pass

This was my 26th time going through immigration at Swampy, and I never had to show my boarding pass before. Luckily, I still had mine and I breezed right through. But several people ahead of me got turned away because they didn’t have their boarding passes. And boy were they were pissed!! I have no idea what happened to them. Hopefully they went back to the gate and got a duplicate.

Anybody know if this the new normal at all the immigration stations? Or is it just in the priority lanes??

Well personally, I always keep the printed copy of things like boarding passes.  Always print before going to the airport either way.  Recall even needing boarding pass for duty free purchases at Swampy.  But I do wonder why the turned away people did not show the email on their phone which shows the boarding pass???  Has anyone had their email boarding pass ever refused?

On the over 70 aspect, it is getting much closer for me than I prefer, but that's life.  Now do two monthly trips overs June/July/August and my birthday is in late May (67 now).  So 68 on June trip in 2020, 69 the next year and then (if health etc still ok) priority lanes for me :Dance1: 

I’ve never been asked for my boarding pass on arrival in the normal Immigration queues ( most recently Nov 19), maybe it was because you were in the priority lanes.

You’ll always need a boarding pass for Duty Free.  It proves you’re a traveller and actually leaving the country.

"Disappointing girls one inch at a time"

Many airlines don't hand out boarding passes for business class passengers. When you go to the Priority Lane the boarding pass shows you are entitled to use it.
If you have paid a lot of money for business / first class there are few things more annoying then getting stuck behind a load of economy passengers at immigration. 
It used to be even worse when there was no segregation between the visa on arrival and Priority lanes.

I was asked for my boarding pass at Immigration at BKK in October, the only reason I had it on me was because I saw a sign on their windows saying to present it during my previous trip in August (which wasn't enforced, but made sure I had it on me next time).

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

^ This was also in one of the regular lanes (I've used the priority lanes in the past when flying Biz).

Edited by Bawdy

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

5 hours ago, Ludhamlad said:

...... my mate was asked to show his when he arrived in November.

Disgusting!

Sorry Ludhamlad i couldnt resist.:P 

Airlines usually have to pay for immigration priority lane passes, anyone in any class of seat can get one if the airline wishes to give it out. I travel economy and have had friends who work for the airline handling agent gift one to me. I have in the past tried to save them for the days when there is a big queue but it seems now immigration are checking that the pass used was given to the passenger for the flight in question. This may be a problem as nobody has ever written my name and flight/date on one.

7 minutes ago, paulrob said:

Airlines usually have to pay for immigration priority lane passes, anyone in any class of seat can get one if the airline wishes to give it out. I travel economy and have had friends who work for the airline handling agent gift one to me. I have in the past tried to save them for the days when there is a big queue but it seems now immigration are checking that the pass used was given to the passenger for the flight in question. This may be a problem as nobody has ever written my name and flight/date on one.

No passes handed out now only show Biz J or first flight stubs need be shown....any flight fast track passes you may have are invalid n have been for months attempt to use at your peril.

Flown Oman Emirates Etihad last four months n last Fast Track pass I was given was March 2019

23 minutes ago, paulrob said:

As Frosty said you can’t use a Priority Lane pass anymore. Since 1 July 2019 you have to show your Boarding Pass to prove you were in Business or First in order to use a Priority Lane (or pay for Fast track with the one company still offering it to Economy passengers).

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

On 18/01/2020 at 09:57, Trevor said:

I believe this changed last summer to prevent sales of priority passes to people who are not eligible...ie. business or first class.

Would someone flying in on business or first really sell their priority pass ? 

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

2 hours ago, sulu said:

You were certainly able to buy them in the ‘secondary’ market under the old system ...no idea where they were being sourced.

I personally used to go through the regular channel if it was quiet and save my priority pass for occasions when I didn’t qualify.

2 hours ago, sulu said:

Also there a lively market in unused business amenity kits and pyjamas so who knows? 

I had to show boarding pass at normal Immigration  channel in December. My girlfriend who is Thai but travelling on australian passport was asked but couldn't find it but was let through anyway. Maybe speaking thai helped her.

Just to concur, I asked about the “pass” the last time I flew in and was told to just show my boarding pass.

I have an ASEAN Business Traveler card, so I also keep that out to show them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for why people would sell the old passes, I occasionally was not asked for it, and noticed that I still had it with me after I left the airport.

I assume that others found a way through without using it or perhaps got extras on board, then sold them to get a little $$$ for something they didn’t really need (like the crap I’m trying to sell on eBay! 555)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I have had to show my boarding pass 3 or 4 times over the years I have been coming.

Theses have been in the regular immigration queues.

I think they were checking for date and time of arrival before the immigration counter.

Remember one time the guy in front of me was asked for his and he told them that he had left it on the plane and was told to go back and get it.

I just whispered to him and told him to try a different line and later he was at the luggage carousel and said that worked as he wasn't asked.

LeoTex 

• Like 2

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.