BlooBell

Taxis / Grab in Pattaya

BlooBell

This has been prompted by the thread being bumped in By the Fireside about that girl from Flexx who died in a MC accident (R.I.P).

After reading it a few months ago and hearing various similar stories I have vowed never to use MCs in Pattaya again. I've never felt comfortable on them after an accident as a child and only use them when heading out to Soi Bongkot or late at night if returning to the room with a TG. I'm always nervous and I'm done using them. 

Thing is, I'm five weeks out from a trip and I plan on spreading my wings a little bit and seeing a bit more of Pattaya and the sorounding areas e.g. darkside, Jomtien, kinaree etc and also spending a lot of time at Soi Bongkot.

So, my question, as someone who has only ever used the baht bus or MCs in Pattaya, is how viable an option are grab or taxis? A forum search offers mixed reports. I know it's probably an expensive option but I'm not concerned about spending a few baht. Most trips will be planned so arranging in advance is fine.

Any insight / advice welcome. 

davidge

I use Grab regularly in Pattaya. Download the App, sign up, and away you go.

It generally works very well. Rarely fail to get a taxi - though sometimes have to wait.

Minimum fare now is 190 baht so expensive for shorter journeys.

I always use Grab Taxi not Grab Car. Car is only slightly cheaper and there’s a possibility of hassle from Taxi drivers if you’re picked up near them.

Play around slightly with destinations as you can get cheaper fares by putting somewhere near where you’re going instead of the actual place. Eg if I’m going to Royal Garden I put Ripley’s or Dicey Reilly as destination as it’s 20-30 baht cheaper.

I also use Grab as a basis of negotiation with the taxi drivers. Eg the ones outside the front of Royal will usually bring me back to Jomtien for 200 when I show them 210 on Grab. The ones outside Central are rip off artists so I don’t bother. I just book through Grab.

Fares this trip between Jomtien and various places in Central Pattaya have been between 210 and 240 baht.

There is a Grab Pay option but I just use cash.

Mr_wimpy

Plenty of grab taxis knocking about.  Used them a few times.  Longest I had to wait for one was 5 mins.  Was during the day, not sure about night time.

As above, quite expensive for short trips, but not ridiculous.  Eg.  204 baht from soi 13 to soi 19

BlooBell
3 minutes ago, davidge said:

I use Grab regularly in Pattaya. Download the App, sign up, and away you go.

It generally works very well. Rarely fail to get a taxi - though sometimes have to wait.

Minimum fare now is 190 baht so expensive for shorter journeys.

I always use Grab Taxi not Grab Car. Car is only slightly cheaper and there’s a possibility of hassle from Taxi drivers if you’re picked up near them.

Play around slightly with destinations as you can get cheaper fares by putting somewhere near where you’re going instead of the actual place. Eg if I’m going to Royal Garden I put Ripley’s or Dicey Reilly as destination as it’s 20-30 baht cheaper.

I also use Grab as a basis of negotiation with the taxi drivers. Eg the ones outside the front of Royal will usually bring me back to Jomtien for 200 when I show them 210 on Grab. The ones outside Central are rip off artists so I don’t bother. I just book through Grab.

Fares this trip between Jomtien and various places in Central Pattaya have been between 210 and 240 baht.

There is a Grab Pay option but I just use cash.

Superb, thanks. 

Ohyesuare

After so many trips, I am also hesitant to use moto taxis anymore. More than a few times recently, they speed so fast that I am close to falling off the back at times and they don't give a shit. 190-200 is expensive for a short trip but if you get there alive, that's what matters at the end.

Edited by Ohyesuare

Yagami Light

The price difference is not even that significant. Moto taxis charge me 120 to go from Walking Street to LK Metro area.

MrJ200
11 minutes ago, Yagami Light said:

The price difference is not even that significant. Moto taxis charge me 120 to go from Walking Street to LK Metro area.

Wow, I went from VT 7 in Jomtien to soi buakhow for 100b. 

Itzme
1 hour ago, Yagami Light said:

You know you can counter offer right? 120 is too much. price should be 60-80.

vimto66

I still use them regularly, and like many guys its always in the early hours after a few drinks (often with a girl).During the day its baht bus each and every time, says it all really!

You still have to be very unlucky to be involved in an accident, but its ultimately up to you, chances are you`ll be fine but you only need to be unlucky once.

ractdi

I use grab frequently and have never had any issue with them. It’s a great app. I spotted an advert on Facebook the other day for a new App called InDriver, I’ve downloaded it but haven’t used it yet but it’s an interesting concept in so far as you enter your pick up and destination points as you would with grab and then enter the price you would like to pay, the app will push that out to nearby available drivers to see who’s willing to accept your bid. I’ll play around with it over the weekend and see how good it is.

mirage

I tried motorbike on Day1 and quickly decided cost savings were not worth the safety risks. Turned out to be costly for short trips for decent for longer ones, Uber’s exit created a monopoly I guess.

I shared my observation with one of the drivers and he suggested to always select the oldest looking bike driver, usually the least aggressive in courting customers but also the best bet to drive safely.

JonMcDank

I try to walk if it's within 20 minutes, baht bus if it's an easy route. Usually use grab car for longer trips, it's worth it and never had an issue.

Motorbikes scare the crap out of me, I refuse to use them. 

Livetolearn

Grab is great for longer distances away from the baht bus route or if it is pouring rain....Tried it for the first time in Sept and it worked perfectly,  cheap and fast.

I definitely advocate it instead of those crazy motorcycle taxis, also scare the crap out of me.

gshock

I can see your concern about Moto taxi's but I think it's part of the fun of Pattaya . You have to remember these guy's drive all the time and I'm sure they don't fancy falling off as well. I can understand if there are two or three people as it's almost the same price for a taxi. You would miss out on racing your teelak along the road whilst high five her on your way past. Moto taxi's get their faster as they can weave in between traffic. Bhatt bus through the day for shade and a relaxing ride. I have only been in two taxi's and it's been around the 200 mark from Central  to Jomtien .It could be quite costly if you are travelling around a lot. Having said all that I don't fancy sliding down the road wearing only some shorts and t-shirt. OW!!

Safe travels. All the best.

talung66
13 hours ago, BlooBell said:

This has been prompted by the thread being bumped in By the Fireside about that girl from Flexx who died in a MC accident (R.I.P).

After reading it a few months ago and hearing various similar stories I have vowed never to use MCs in Pattaya again. I've never felt comfortable on them after an accident as a child and only use them when heading out to Soi Bongkot or late at night if returning to the room with a TG. I'm always nervous and I'm done using them. 

Thing is, I'm five weeks out from a trip and I plan on spreading my wings a little bit and seeing a bit more of Pattaya and the sorounding areas e.g. darkside, Jomtien, kinaree etc and also spending a lot of time at Soi Bongkot.

So, my question, as someone who has only ever used the baht bus or MCs in Pattaya, is how viable an option are grab or taxis? A forum search offers mixed reports. I know it's probably an expensive option but I'm not concerned about spending a few baht. Most trips will be planned so arranging in advance is fine.

Any insight / advice welcome. 

if your only doing short distances batter of doing a baht bus private for the forward journey as it might be hard picking one up on return journey is of the track places.

dingbat22
4 hours ago, gshock said:

I can see your concern about Moto taxi's but I think it's part of the fun of Pattaya . You have to remember these guy's drive all the time and I'm sure they don't fancy falling off as well. I can understand if there are two or three people as it's almost the same price for a taxi. You would miss out on racing your teelak along the road whilst high five her on your way past. Moto taxi's get their faster as they can weave in between traffic. Bhatt bus through the day for shade and a relaxing ride. I have only been in two taxi's and it's been around the 200 mark from Central  to Jomtien .It could be quite costly if you are travelling around a lot. Having said all that I don't fancy sliding down the road wearing only some shorts and t-shirt. OW!!

Safe travels. All the best.

Think I would rather get to my destination slower in one piece rather then being scooped up like a pound of strawberry jam smashed on the tarmac after weaving around traffic trying to get there faster.... I am already at the point in life that I know I have less time to live then the time I have already lived, So I would prefer not to risk shortening whatever time I actually do have left to live,. My time is worth the 200 baht taxi fare, even if I have to spend a bit more of the precious time I have left sitting in a Taxi, so be it

Edited by dingbat22

hioctane
I use grab frequently and have never had any issue with them. It’s a great app. I spotted an advert on Facebook the other day for a new App called InDriver, I’ve downloaded it but haven’t used it yet but it’s an interesting concept in so far as you enter your pick up and destination points as you would with grab and then enter the price you would like to pay, the app will push that out to nearby available drivers to see who’s willing to accept your bid. I’ll play around with it over the weekend and see how good it is.

Please let us know if indriver works in Pattaya. I used it in another country. Awsome concept and saves you money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom345

I've never used a moto taxi in Thailand. If I wouldn't get on a bike here in Australia, there is no way I'm doing that in Thailand. Of all things that I cringe about the most in Patts it's those moto taxis. When you look at the statistics of motor cycle deaths in Thailand and then see people flying around without helmets, you realise the disasters waiting to happen. Saw one nasty crash on beach road while on a baht bus. Driver and passenger were knocked out. Strengthened my resolve to avoid moto taxis.

I actually don't think dying is the worst thing that could happen to you from a moto bike accident. It's potential range of life altering injuries. Think being paraplegic, quadriplegic etc.

Happy to pay the 200baht for a taxi for short trips. 

Ohyesuare
13 hours ago, Itzme said:

You know you can counter offer right? 120 is too much. price should be 60-80.

You can't negotiate with the Walking Street moto taxis, they're the scummiest ones in all of Pattaya because I guess they pay extra to be in that spot too. If you just walk up one of the side Walking Street sois even, you will get a better price.

markland1510a

Grab works fine most of the time. It does have some glitches with routes in Pattaya (or Pattaya roads have glitches).  Awhile ago, if I try to take a Grab from the Phratamnak Hill area it often routes in a weird way that can add a lot of extra distance to the trip (maybe they fixed it by now). Grab is the clear way to go in Bangkok, not so clear in Pattaya.

I used to own a motorbike in Pattaya and used it all the time. I gave it up about 4 years ago, Pattaya traffic is just too crazy and dangerous now, that along with more police enforcement. Motorbike is now a no-go.

I now take my travel very near 100% by baht bus. Other has said so, I will just emphasis Baht bus is the way to go in Pattaya and I now book all my housing and near all of the places I go on if I can get there on the BB. If not, then I use Grab.

shared-mobile-open-air-passenger-vehicle-baht-bus-songthaew-tuk-tuk-B4TTHB.jpg