MunterHunter

HPV

MunterHunter

Have any of you guys had the shots? I called my local NHS GUM clinic. I never expected to be asked questions on the phone. Was hoping for an appointment where I could say I holiday in SEA and sleep with sex workers.

i got asked if my sex partners were men or women. I said women and she said then it’s a no.

Probably need to wait a while, call back up and say ‘men’ to her answer. I got the feeling if I said both men and women and still was a no. She said gay men only. 

There is an age cut of for getting this in some places. Anyone had the jabs? 

Sargon76

American here, I am going to ask my Dr about getting the shot when I next see him. Just started a new job and should have insurance soon. I bet I will have to pay for it because I am not a teenage girl but i think it is better than getting warts on my dick.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

fostraswift

your around a long time..

you probably have it

i dont think its any good if you have already??

RWallace

American here as well.  I’ve looked into it, but my understanding after taking to a doc is that nearly 100% of adults already have HPV (thus the age cutoff), and there’s no proven benefit for men getting the shot after the fact.

Please weigh in if I’m wrong about this.  The research I’ve seen on post-exposure vaccination benefits is almost exclusively talking about women, and I haven’t seen anything that points to a benefit for men.

Edited by RWallace

RWallace
1 minute ago, RWallace said:

Edited by RWallace
Deleted duplicate post

dawg73
1 hour ago, Sargon76 said:

American here, I am going to ask my Dr about getting the shot when I next see him. Just started a new job and should have insurance soon. I bet I will have to pay for it because I am not a teenage girl but i think it is better than getting warts on my dick.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Warts on your dick - sure you're not thinking of Herpes?

Loranga
2 hours ago, RWallace said:

American here as well.  I’ve looked into it, but my understanding after taking to a doc is that nearly 100% of adults already have HPV (thus the age cutoff), and there’s no proven benefit for men getting the shot after the fact.

Please weigh in if I’m wrong about this.  The research I’ve seen on post-exposure vaccination benefits is almost exclusively talking about women, and I haven’t seen anything that points to a benefit for men.

It is good if both men and women take HPV so they do not pass on the infection to any other person who does not have it.
The vaccine will only help if you have not had HPV before.
So it is good to start vaccinating both boys and girls before having their sexual debut.

Edited by Loranga
Wrong writing

englishman

My understanding is that it is only effective for males when they are early teens ..and like other said you most likely already have it ..I was told by my Dr years back that for our generation as soon as you had sex for the first time you have it..!

Loranga

Can you get vaccinated after the sexual debut?

Yes, but since the HPV vaccine seems preventative, it gives the best effect before the sexual debut. The vaccine has no effect on ongoing HPV infection or cell changes that have already occurred prior to vaccination. The effect of vaccination can therefore be less after sexual debut, but it is seldom that the vaccine has no effect at all as it is very uncommon for people to be infected with all types that are included in the vaccine at the same time. It is not dangerous to be vaccinated if you are already infected with HPV.

hioctane

I have researched this before. Guys need the vaccine BEFORE they start having sex. I think that RULES most of us out! :D Odds are you have already contracted HPV if you had sex so the vaccine would be useless.

RRosenberg

There is no "age cutoff" because you can get the vaccine at any high street chemist these days (multiple shots though not once).

The age thing is more to do with them assuming you've already contracted it at some point in your life, hence why people think you need to have it as a teen in order for it to be effective.

You can test for it, so the logical thing would be to get tested and if you are clear, get the jab.

The reason (at least in the UK) that only girls get it is simply because it's cheaper. In theory it should work. If you only slept with vaccinated women in the UK everything should be ok, the obvious issue though is that people travel and have sex with people that are un-vaccinated and they get it. Again, it's cheaper to vaccinate women as the problems it causes men are deemed to be "not as bad".

So if you are thinking about it, get tested. If you don't have it then you can start thinking about the jab. However, I don't think you will be given it for free due to your age so you will most likely have to self fund from a high street clinic.

It would be worth looking into further though as I don't wish to sound like an "anti vaxxer" or whatever, but they are some pretty nasty side effects including death associated with the jab.

Edited by RRosenberg

RWallace
21 minutes ago, RRosenberg said:

You can test for it, so the logical thing would be to get tested and if you are clear, get the jab.

I don’t believe there’s a test for men.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

RRosenberg
6 minutes ago, RWallace said:

I don’t believe there’s a test for men.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv-and-men.htm

I've just had a quick look and it seems you are right, however I could have sworn my doctor was telling me it would show up on a general STD test when I asked him. Maybe I'm confused with something else.

phenixr

Whereas there is no age cut off, the practicality of it is that it should really be given to those who have never had sexual intercourse. Hence precoital teenagers, both boys and girls. The prevalence of HPV infection (both with visible warts and preclinical) is so high that medical experts consider all those sexually active as exposed. Public health recommendations in most jurisdictions tend to favor girls because in fact HPV infection in women causes precancerous changes in the genital tract invariably, and causes the extremely high incidence of cervical cancer in the third world for example where preventive pap smears are not routine. So in the same vein as Pap smears, HPV vaccination is of immense public health benefit. This argument cannot be made for men or boys. Its for this reason that we do not screen for HPV related precancerous changes in men. There is no public health cost benefit. The same argument is true for HPV vaccination. However, the benefit of providing the vaccination to boys is self evident in this argument on the basis on benefits other than public health. So if not paid for by public funds, boys are free to get it in the restrictive jurisdictions. I would get it for a son if I had one. But again I'd not expect public funds to pay for it.

Now, older people who have already started having sex can also get it but good practice would be to obtain testing for the HPV subtypes for which vaccination is available prior to getting the vaccination.

Edited by phenixr
clarification

MunterHunter

thanks for the reply’s. I know it can be in your body already. I reckon it’s worth getting but I know other people think differently 

GeeGee20

Early 30s and american, my doc just added it to the other vaccines for the trip. Insurance covered at 100%. He said they target teenagers but is better than nothing for everyone else. 

thenamelessjohn

Hi guys! Sorry for highjaking the thread, I did not want to start a new one, but has anyone here had the vaccine in Pattaya? I saw there are several options in Bangkok, but no one is mentioning Pattaya

fatfrank
6 hours ago, dawg73 said:

Warts on your dick - sure you're not thinking of Herpes?

Nope one of the main symptoms of HPV in men is genital and anal warts, herpes gives you sores like cold sores (which are a form of herpes) not warts.

dawg73
1 hour ago, fatfrank said:

Nope one of the main symptoms of HPV in men is genital and anal warts, herpes gives you sores like cold sores (which are a form of herpes) not warts.

I stand corrected - I have been known to be wrong on occasion; hard to believe, I know.  It's funny - I've spent literally years of my working life recording HPV vaccines on a government database, but never learned much about the actual virus except that it causes certain cancers.

Whalley
3 hours ago, fatfrank said:

The main symptom of an HPV virus is zip.  

It is a virus of your DNA and most often you will never know that you have been infected.  And generally an HPV infection will clear on its own without intervention in healthy people within a two year period.

Of the 40 plus HPV strains, very few will ever lead to an outbreak of warts.

Whalley
10 hours ago, Whalley said:

Should read, Of the 40 plus sexually transmitted HPV strains, very few will ever lead to an outbreak of warts.

There are more than 120 HPV strains recognized and most not related to STDs.

zeconrad

I went to a clinic 10 years ago before the shot was provided to men except in trials, asked for it, and was given it with no issue. If x won't give it to you just try y or z 

Edit: it was 3 shots over the course of a year. You will not be immediately immune (to the strains it protects against)

Edited by zeconrad

Xayd

The level of disinformation or outright ignorance in this thread is astounding. It terrifies me that people so uneducated about sex are out there doing it. This is like going to a public shooting range on a Saturday. If the information below was already posted, I apologize for repeating — I read a couple stupid posts and skipped straight to my comment because I can’t handle the stupidity.

* HPV has many strains.

* According to the US CDC, there is NO test for any strain of HPV in men.

* There are TWO FDA-approved vaccines for HPV: Gardasil and Gardasil 9. Both vaccines vaccinate against different strains.

* In October 2018, the FDA changed their guidelines and approved Gardasil 9 for men up to age 45, regardless of past sexually activity.

In summary, there is NO reason to NOT get Gardasil 9 if you’re a man between 27 and 45 and you’re approved to get the shot by your doctor. If you have HPV already and are asymptomatic (meaning you don’t show so you can’t know), the vaccine won’t cure you but it also won’t hurt you. In fact, it could vaccinate you against other strains of HPV you might not already have. If you DON’T have HPV, getting the vaccine will protect YOU AND YOIR PARTNERS. All you people saying “don’t worry about HPV, it doesn’t do anything to men” - first, you’re wrong, and second, it’s dangerous for women and you should consider that.

GO GET GARDASIL. GO GET PREP. PRACTICE SAFE SEX. STOP BEING DUMB.

Edited by Xayd

fatfrank
17 hours ago, Whalley said:

The main symptom of an HPV virus is zip.  

It is a virus of your DNA and most often you will never know that you have been infected.  And generally an HPV infection will clear on its own without intervention in healthy people within a two year period.

You are of course correct, what I should have said was one of the main visible symptoms when there are any at all of e.t.c.

Whalley
3 hours ago, Xayd said:

According to the US CDC, there is NO test for any strain of HPV in men.

You are adding to the long list of misinformation posted in this thread.

20 of the 40 sexually transmitted strains of HPV are detectable by way of a blood test.  20 are not.