IGNORED

Golf Clubs cancelling bookings

farcanal

I just read a disturbing report in the Pattaya Sports Club about clubs cancelling bookings or upping fees once you get there.

The report came from the Bunker Boys club who arrived at Pattana only to be told their fees would be 400 baht more . I believe they had pre-booked their game.

They made a quick phone call to Pattavia (or Parichat) and got in straight away, so made the 15 minute drive .

Never happened to my group in 20 golfing trips to LOS.

• Like 1

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

That's disturbing, I want to play at Pattana too. Will let you know what happens on Tuesday if I play there

I read Green Valley fucked the golf club guys around a bit with prices. They play there every Monday 20 guys plus each Monday. Not sure what happened but they have been going there for about 10 years. 

It seems to be sorted now as it’s back on there weekly list. Was off it for a two weeks. 

someone said Emerald closed?

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

8 hours ago, Joethescot said:

I read Green Valley fucked the golf club guys around a bit with prices. They play there every Monday 20 guys plus each Monday. Not sure what happened but they have been going there for about 10 years. 

It seems to be sorted now as it’s back on there weekly list. Was off it for a two weeks. 

I heard from my regular Emerald caddie that it has a new owner, but nothing since.

• Thanks 1

Let’s me ask around, I can’t remember who told me.

Perhaps I read it wrong

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 06/01/2020 at 00:26, Joethescot said:

Green Valley did the same to our group a few years ago. Arrived with 20-odd players. They said no walking so must have cart each. Phoned to Emerald and they wanted us at a decent rate, so off we went. Never been back to GV.

Re. Emerald, played there until high season started (now double the price) and our caddies also told us that there was a new owner. And that there would be a few improvements made to the course.

Whether that means the course being closed, not sure. But it probably means higher rates.

• Like 2

On 05/01/2020 at 07:51, farcanal said:

I just read a disturbing report in the Pattaya Sports Club about clubs cancelling bookings or upping fees once you get there.

The odd "lost" booking has always been an issue here but many courses now take bookings via Line so in those cases you have some extra ammo as it were. That also goes someway towards the first point that BB made which I have just read after seeing your post. 

The group that I tend to play with also get a call from certain courses to confirm the booking and it should be good practice for any group to do so anyhow especially as it may have been booked some weeks in advance.

As to rates again occasionally some courses try to take the proverbial and charge weekend rate on certain days they have decided are holidays even when you previously agreed it. However in the instance quoted by BBs it is a shame they did not quote the actual prices. PSC sheets show 850 green fee in November and 1200 in December although I played in a group on Xmas day at Pattana and paid only 1000 (the BB report was 23rd I believe?

So in summary it can happen, especially around high season and holiday days, and players should be aware of it. Reconfirming the day before is good practice. Remember TIT :Chokdee:

NB -  am not suggesting BB did not do this and they may just have been very unlucky. Glad to hear it worked out for them at Pattavia.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kanga said:

The odd "lost" booking has always been an issue here but many courses now take bookings via Line so in those cases you have some extra ammo as it were. That also goes someway towards the first point that BB made which I have just read after seeing your post. 

The group that I tend to play with also get a call from certain courses to confirm the booking and it should be good practice for any group to do so anyhow especially as it may have been booked some weeks in advance.

As to rates again occasionally some courses try to take the proverbial and charge weekend rate on certain days they have decided are holidays even when you previously agreed it. However in the instance quoted by BBs it is a shame they did not quote the actual prices. PSC sheets show 850 green fee in November and 1200 in December although I played in a group on Xmas day at Pattana and paid only 1000 (the BB report was 23rd I believe?

So in summary it can happen, especially around high season and holiday days, and players should be aware of it. Reconfirming the day before is good practice. Remember TIT :Chokdee:

NB -  am not suggesting BB did not do this and they may just have been very unlucky. Glad to hear it worked out for them at Pattavia.

Thanks Kanga, appreciate the feedback.

I was surprised when I read the report particularly the fact that it was Pattana because we have found this club by far the most welcoming and accommodating out of all the ones we play at. We had one instance where we fully expected to pay the PSC rate but were told it would be cheaper because they were having a Sport Day. From memory it was a 200 baht reduction..

And I love the saluting doorman. 

A possible temporary increase in green fee can arise with public holidays. Up in Udon Thani where I play the courses charge more on those days. We get particularly  aggrieved when the holiday falls on a weekend, but when we rock up on a Monday the club claims that extra cost - “roll over from the weekend “....we boycotted one particular club after that stunt.

Edited by LOTTELLEE WINNA

Plutaluang cancelled at 9am one day with 30+ guys in the bar about to leave, apparently an admiral was in town and he wanted the course so fuck everyone else. We managed to book elsewhere and never played there again.

Just boycott clubs that charge more than that agreed or even cancel

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

Plutaluang cancelled at 9am one day with 30+ guys in the bar about to leave, apparently an admiral was in town and he wanted the course so fuck everyone else. We managed to book elsewhere and never played there again.

Just boycott clubs that charge more than that agreed or even cancel

Thai logic at it's best

• 1 month later...

Recently played with the Links Bar on Soi Buakhow who had booked a day at Khao Kheow . Close to 50 golfers in the outing show up to be told the agreed to price on booking would not be honoured and there would be a 400 baht increase . The organizers did an outstanding job of securing times at nearby  Pleasant Valley  .  The entire group seemed to be OK with the delay as I heard no complaints and there was a great deal of satisfaction in the "Fuck You Khao Kheow mangement "  Over 100,000  Baht  in green fees , buggy fees , caddy fees etc were allowed to walk .

I suspect they had overbooked or got a better offer but nevertheless not surprised at the attempt to "Fuck the Falang " . Over the years I have seen various golf groups give various golf courses the finger for mismanaging or attempts at overcharging . Just a reminder that you can not apply western standards for customer service in Thailand. Fortunately it is just golf and the worst that can happen is you miss a day of " wack , fuck " . You are well advised to have phone numbers for nearby courses as a back up .

I’ve read most of the thread.I don’t play golf like to watch it though.Seen a few courses mentioned.So how many courses roughly do you have to choose from in the Pattaya area.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Gaztop08 said:

I’ve read most of the thread.I don’t play golf like to watch it though.Seen a few courses mentioned.So how many courses roughly do you have to choose from in the Pattaya area.

Cheers

More than 20, assuming a 40 min car ride.

January and February is when the Koreans hit town in large numbers. They like to play 36 holes a day. They will turn up early morning at  golf course mob handed (50+) and the club management will take their cash and fuck any other bookings. 

October - (early) December is a much more pleasant experience for golf in Thailand IMO. Many courses get scruffy due to lack of water and heavy footfall in Jan-Feb.