IGNORED

How would you split up Bangkok Pattaya and Phuket

tobeornottobe

Been to Pattaya 5 times , Bangkok once and I've never been to Phuket . I'm looking to book a 3 week trip at the end of March and how would be best to split up these places over 3 weeks or if I should even not bother with Phuket at all? I'm definitely thinking  first 3 days and last 3 days bangkok 

• Thanks 1

In my book, and if the price was right; I would fly in to Phuket - transit  to BKK and straight to Pattaya.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn’t bother with Phuket.  I go to Koh Chang and/or Koh Kood when I want an island getaway, but it depends on what your interests are.  I go to Koh Chang and Koh Kood for the escape rather than mongering, but mongering is better and less expensive in Pattaya than Phuket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Retired

Keep in mind, you'll lose most of a day each way traveling to and from Phuket (going there, you have to get to BKK, fly to Phuket and then it's like an hour drive from the airport to Patong Beach), so it's only worth it if you stay at least four nights. I really enjoyed visiting the various beaches as well as taking the James Bond Island boat tour, so I recommend going. I'm also a guy who likes picking up girls at the freelancer discos and Bangla Road has some great ones.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Piece Corp said:

I wouldn’t bother with Phuket.  I go to Koh Chang and/or Koh Kood when I want an island getaway, but it depends on what your interests are.  I go to Koh Chang and Koh Kood for the escape rather than mongering, but mongering is better and less expensive in Pattaya than Phuket.

How do you find the best way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?  I've wondered about flying in but don't know anyone who has.

2 minutes ago, Ludhamlad said:

How do you find the best way to get to Koh Chang from Bangkok?  I've wondered about flying in but don't know anyone who has.

I have, it cost 2600 one-way on Bangkok Air.  It’s in my trip report where most of the photos were lost during a forum software upgrade. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Retired

5 minutes ago, Piece Corp said:

I have, it cost 2600 one-way on Bangkok Air.  It’s in my trip report where most of the photos were lost during a forum software upgrade. :rolleyes:

Thanks am I right thinking that the flight is into Trat airport and then you have to transit and ferry from there? what's the total time from Bangkok?

7 minutes ago, Ludhamlad said:

Thanks am I right thinking that the flight is into Trat airport and then you have to transit and ferry from there? what's the total time from Bangkok?

In my trip report, I estimated I saved 2 hours 30 minutes over taking a minibus.  Left the condo at 9:30 and arrived at the resort at Khlong Prao at 2:00 PM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Retired

Definitely recommend Koh Chang if you are considering it. Abundant but very relaxed bar scene in whitesands Beach and kae bai beach areas. Complete different scene to Phuket. I fell in love with the place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Piece Corp said:

Is there any mongering to be had in koh Chang or kood 

EVA Air starting in April 2020 will be flying to Phuket 3 days a week from Taipei.  

So basically like flying to BKK with EVA but to Phuket.

Air Asia to Pattaya or Bangkok for the domestic airfare.

Opens up new options now.

• Thanks 1

Just few years ago , I always include Bangkok in my annual 6-8 weeks trip .. I stay at Guesthouse at third rd near Pattaya Klang first , then in the middle of the trip , I go to Bangkok for 3 days leaving behind 2 luggage’s in Guesthouse ,bringing just a small cabin bag which is handy , rather than bring the three luggage’s  to Bangkok . I like Bangkok but not for over three days , Pattaya is like a second home to me , I would never be bored in Pattaya . 

Sorry , just found out that this thread is about Phuket also , I have never been there . Maybe in a foreseeable future , had to be a long trip or a expat. 

Edited by jocky king
  • Thanks 1

On 29/12/2019 at 02:57, tobeornottobe said:

Is there any mongering to be had in koh Chang or kood 

Yes in Koh Chang, no in Koh Kood 

• Thanks 1

Retired

If I were to do these three locations on a three week trip, I would head to Pattaya on arrival for 10 nights, then fly to Phuket for 5 nights and finish in Bangkok for 5 nights. I don’t see the point in both starting and ending in Bangkok. I would pick one or the other for one less change of location/hotel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe some shopping in Bangkok if necessary. Bangkok for me is polluted and way too big place to handle.  Phuket is way overpriced compared to Pattaya with some nice beaches. My preference is 100&% Pattaya when you have 3 weeks. I was living in Pattaya over 2 years and never had urge to go to Phuket or any other place in southern Thailand. Hua Hin was nice enough for couple of yearly visits to see my friends. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, jpmelville said:

. Bangkok for me is polluted and way too big place to handle.  Phuket is way overpriced compared to Pattaya with some nice beaches. My preference is 100&% Pattaya when you have 3 weeks.

Pretty much how I feel about it.

Bangkok only for arrival and departure (airport).

Spend the rest of the time in Pattaya with maybe a few day side trip from Pattaya and then back there.

LeoTex

• Thanks 1

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

I'm burned out on Pattaya.  This will be my third trip without hitting Pattaya.  

I was hesitant about Phuket due to the talk about prices.  The price difference is marginal (exception being taxi/baht bus fees... WAY HIGH in Phuket).  I rent a bike, problem solved.  Phuket has it all and it's nice too!  Now I'm adding Ko Samui to the itinerary.  I'll be in Phuket (26 nights) Samui (13) nights and the rest in Bangkok.  No Pattaya this time.  

• Thanks 1

My March trip plans sounds like the op's except will be only two weeks. So far I only have flight tickets into HKT and three nights booked at the Amata Resort hotel, may stay another night or two before going somewhere else. Was thinking about flying to Koh Samui for a few nights as they have a "night life" there too but the airfares there and then again to BKK are kinda expensive, about $200 usd total vs about $35 HKT to BKK or UTP. I have two free nights at the Hyatt and Marriott that I have to use soon so will use them in Bangkok before or after my stay in Pattaya. Any thoughts?? I been to Bangkok a few times and Pattaya 6 or 7 times. Happy New Year everyone.

• 3 years later...

Reviving this old thread so I can rant without starting a new topic....

The past few nights have changed my thinking 180 degrees.  I used to be a "get your ass to Pattaya" guy, but the gogo prices in Pattaya are just absolute nonsense these days....and I'm a LDOP/two week millionaire!

I went to XS and PU 2 of the past 3 nights, added a stop in Soi 6 last night, and hit Bangkok and Nana tonight.

IMHO, the "talent" level in Billboard is as good, if not better, than XS and PU, and the BF is still 700 baht....NOT 2000 baht. The girls are NOT cheap (3500 baht ST in Billboard), but the girls in XS and PU reportedly are not going for that these days (and, again, the eye-watering BF is tacked on).  All in, 4200 baht for ST is high, but pretty consistent with 2019.  Pattaya is hitting guys for 6000-7000 baht these days (and then there's the drink quota tacked on).

I know I will get pushback from the XS and PU fan club that my numbers are out of whack and they get much better deals (by spending tons of time and money there, no doubt), but I'm a guy who is lucky to get here every 6 months, if that.  Plus, if I have to drop 15,000 baht to save 2,000 baht on the girl's rate/barfine, I'm not really "saving," am I?

Another big plus for Bangkok (at least for me) is the hotels.  I like really upscale hotels, and Bangkok has them in droves; Pattaya does not.  I'm at the Hyatt Regency, which is FAR from one of the top hotels here and it kicks the ever-living dogshit out of the Hilton, which is one of Pattaya's reputed top hotels.

As a guy who prefers gogos to Soi 6 of TF, I honestly don't know if I will be back to Pattaya after this trip.

Have not been inclined to spend any more time than is necessary in Bangkok, preferably just a day trip and move on if possible…….

Have popped down to Pattaya when I have had a couple of days or so to spare……

Have  enjoyed pottering around Phuket (not just Patong) on a motorcycle….

Visited other places too, renting a motorcycle to toddle around. 

Obviously not travelling just to consort with comely maidens…. Pattaya has them in spades, but companionship can be found everywhere, or find someone compatible and take her along for the ride.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

The past few nights have changed my thinking 180 degrees.  I used to be a "get your ass to Pattaya" guy, but the gogo prices in Pattaya are just absolute nonsense these days....and I'm a LDOP/two week millionaire!

I went to XS and PU 2 of the past 3 nights, added a stop in Soi 6 last night, and hit Bangkok and Nana tonight.

IMHO, the "talent" level in Billboard is as good, if not better, than XS and PU, and the BF is still 700 baht....NOT 2000 baht. The girls are NOT cheap (3500 baht ST in Billboard), but the girls in XS and PU reportedly are not going for that these days (and, again, the eye-watering BF is tacked on).  All in, 4200 baht for ST is high, but pretty consistent with 2019.  Pattaya is hitting guys for 6000-7000 baht these days (and then there's the drink quota tacked on).

I know I will get pushback from the XS and PU fan club that my numbers are out of whack and they get much better deals (by spending tons of time and money there, no doubt), but I'm a guy who is lucky to get here every 6 months, if that.  Plus, if I have to drop 15,000 baht to save 2,000 baht on the girl's rate/barfine, I'm not really "saving," am I?

Another big plus for Bangkok (at least for me) is the hotels.  I like really upscale hotels, and Bangkok has them in droves; Pattaya does not.  I'm at the Hyatt Regency, which is FAR from one of the top hotels here and it kicks the ever-living dogshit out of the Hilton, which is one of Pattaya's reputed top hotels.

As a guy who prefers gogos to Soi 6 of TF, I honestly don't know if I will be back to Pattaya after this trip.

I’m not even a gogo guy and on my two post-pandemic trips I spent twice as much time in Bangkok than I did in Pattaya. I still enjoy both places and find their differences compliment each other when I’m on vacation. I just find more options both mongering and non-mongering in Bangkok for the type of things that interest me. I do appreciate the fresher air and typically lower temperatures in Pattaya, though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

It's quite a change isn't it ? Paying 2000 vs. 700 bf. The girls at XS and PU are very aware of the high bf too as I have a few who suggested to meet up after the bar closes or on their day off. Regarding ST fees, they are pushing 5000 in PU (and as a long time customer, the mamasan is giving me 4000 as a discount 555..., very funny of her !!!).

I just come back to Bangkok  yesterday too and Nana Plaza is rocking with girl quality, not just Billboard but also at several other gogobars. Butterflies took my money last night, 700 bf and she was awesome. Life is good:-)))

Edited by h.harris

10 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

💯 spot on.  But don't say it too loud, lets try to keep barfines  at 700b 😆

I consider myself a two week millionaire as well, but I do not hesitate saying that pattaya BFs and the greediness is insane.  

BKK has it all.  Better hotels, better food and a lot more to offer in general.     Also quality is much better in BKK.  You won't see many fatties and older girls..    it's just not  about working girls or freelancers either, the amount of quality pussy from regular girls is plentiful.  

Bkk has hot girls in massage shops and many good BJ bars as well (something pattaya is lacking these days).

Now I'm not a pattaya hater.  I love it, love the atmosphere and the beach vibe,   and the club scene, but only in short bursts these days.  That's why BKK will most likely be my home base when I move next year.

Nothing wrong with change ...   and we all know change is constant in the world.

Edited by HimBadMan