IGNORED

iPhone XS goes Belly Up

ChiFlyer

This was a bit of a pain.

On Saturday I do an ios upgrade. Sunday Morning my phone is unresponsive to touch (inoperable). We leave for the airport a few hours later to go to Khon Kaen.

I spent Sunday night reading/executing Apple repair scripts that do not resolve the problem. I do a two hour Apple chat with one of their techies. Said techie advises me to go into a support center. Gives me a link to find the nearest one. Link requires a two step notification from my inoperable phone. Tech finds some locations for me and there is one near by at Central Festival in Khon Kaen. Go over there on Monday and am advised that a repair is possible, but will take 14 days. I am only there for two days. Tech was actually quite professional and knowledgeable.

Serious Apple support in Thailand seems to be available through Apple Stores (probably Bangkok only) and iCare support centers. There is an iCare support Center in Pattaya and I will be calling them tomorrow to set up an appointment for Friday when I am back. In case anyone needs to find an iCare Suport Center, here is a link to locate the nearest one.

https://getsupport.apple.com/?metadata=mZYyxzk7WuxwLi%2BPKGw6xkVszyWOct9KdV%2B7IlsTbJpZywI0mJ9RtMs%2B9jYUPw7GMBd41%2B0QSc0jP%2BzJor%2F8AsFQHWPBj%2FhN7Tm7N4Pes8tQk4VXsC3%2FyNCtxsi6BNOiXBaFD9mtfeAbWwf2h%2Ft7TPvWHoiJr8xS0%2Fn%2B0xuxwPCfDB8dDA%2F7fEviGnghO3BsBIBbBihLVeqgh1Q3GAoZwo6UGqchyNUDxzS1oDxv8ld0jlHzMoK67DNQsCTg1TlZRP%2Fnx7hIRNu7lLAe9Eesr4IY%2B8Y1M0LbvRiHvHxxSWaKReHNAM2aSewss6XOed4RR0ouqrz8%2BHJENK6yU04Mcw%3D%3D&storeID=14854686&lat=13.336533&long=100.9697&locale=en_TH&solution=CIN

The phone is only 4 months old and was purchased directly from Apple in the US. I am under warranty for one year so this will not cost me anything dollar wise, but is costing me plenty with regard to time and frustration.

I suspect that the problem was caused by the ios upgrade exposing a flaw in the way the purchased phone software/firmware was initially set up. I have been an iPhone user for 12 years and have been very happy with their product line up until now. Their iPhone 6 in particular had amazing durability. This is the second problem I have had with the XS

I also suspect that because I purchased directly from Apple, I got a lemon. They make sure that their carrier large purchases have no problems, but are less attentive to one off purchases. Paranoid old man? maybe.

btw - my Apple stock is doing very well. :huh:

Every phone model has issues especially with software as the OS is now so large and complicated.

Apple has got some flak for iOS 13 as it has been buggy, so I wouldn’t blame it on the hardware necessarily.

They do have a good support network though just a pain to be without your phone for so long.

I use Samsung and /touch wood have never had an issue yet, but I am sure the time will come.

How was KK?

6 hours ago, article22 said:

How was KK?

Good - I started a separate thread in one of the Isan sections. Here is a link.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2019 at 01:49, ChiFlyer said:

This was a bit of a pain.

On Saturday I do an ios upgrade. Sunday Morning my phone is unresponsive to Touch (inoperable). We leave for the airport a few hours later to go to Khon Kaen.

I spent Sunday night reading/executing Apple repair scripts that do not resolve the problem. I do a two hour Apple chat with one of their techies. Said techie advises me to go into a support center. Gives me a link to find the nearest one. Link requires a two step notification from my inoperable phone. Tech finds some locations for me and there is one near by at Central Festival in Khon Kaen. Go over there on Monday and am advised that a repair is possible, but will take 14 days. I am only there for two days. Tech was actually quite professional and knowledgeable.

Serious Apple support in Thailand seems to be available through Apple Stores (probably Bangkok only) and iCare support centers. There is an iCare support Center in Pattaya and I will be calling them tomorrow to set up an appointment for Friday when I am back. In case anyone needs to find an iCare Suport Center, here is a link to locate the nearest one.

https://getsupport.apple.com/?metadata=mZYyxzk7WuxwLi%2BPKGw6xkVszyWOct9KdV%2B7IlsTbJpZywI0mJ9RtMs%2B9jYUPw7GMBd41%2B0QSc0jP%2BzJor%2F8AsFQHWPBj%2FhN7Tm7N4Pes8tQk4VXsC3%2FyNCtxsi6BNOiXBaFD9mtfeAbWwf2h%2Ft7TPvWHoiJr8xS0%2Fn%2B0xuxwPCfDB8dDA%2F7fEviGnghO3BsBIBbBihLVeqgh1Q3GAoZwo6UGqchyNUDxzS1oDxv8ld0jlHzMoK67DNQsCTg1TlZRP%2Fnx7hIRNu7lLAe9Eesr4IY%2B8Y1M0LbvRiHvHxxSWaKReHNAM2aSewss6XOed4RR0ouqrz8%2BHJENK6yU04Mcw%3D%3D&storeID=14854686&lat=13.336533&long=100.9697&locale=en_TH&solution=CIN

The phone is only 4 months old and was purchased directly from Apple in the US. I am under warranty for one year so this will not cost me anything dollar wise, but is costing me plenty with regard to time and frustration.

I suspect that the problem was caused by the ios upgrade exposing a flaw in the way the purchased phone software/firmware was initially set up. I have been an iPhone user for 12 years and have been very happy with their product line up until now. Their iPhone 6 in particular had amazing durability. This is the second problem I have had with the XS. 

I also suspect that because I purchased directly from Apple, I got a lemon. They make sure that their carrier large purchases have no problems, but are less attentive to one off purchases. Paranoid old man? maybe.

btw - my Apple stock is doing very well. :huh:

Had the exact same thing happen to me about 3 months ago, thankfully I still had a month left on the warranty. They gave me an iphone 8 as a replacement whilst my XS was in the shop. I got a message a day later saying they couldn't fix and gave me a new phone.

Pain in the ass but at least I got a shiny new phone and battery once more.

The shitshow continues.

Apple decided to replace my iPhone XS at no charge under warranty. Picked up the new phone today and they had recovered nothing including my AIS e-sim. Not a big deal I thought as I could recover everything except Line and the e-sim from my last iTunes backup. After that I can get AIS to redo the e-sim and then I can do the Line recovery. Talked to AIS about this and they said it should be fine.

Went home and tried the iTunes recovery and it failed because the new phone was not at as high a software level as the iTunes backup. Had the same problem using the side by side method, when I first bought the XS last August. I have to first turn up the iPhone as a new phone to bring the software current. Unfortunately, that process requires a 2 step verification to the now non-existent e-sim number.

I had to click on some I don't have an Apple device that is operable bullshit and I provided them a number for a phone that some kindly soul had lent me. They said they need a full day to check out that I am who I say I am and then will e-mail directions on how to change the phone number on my AppleID account.

After that I can reset the software on the replacement XS, recover the iTunes backup, go to AIS to reactivate my e-sim, change my AppleID phone number back to the e-sim, and recover Line.

Could they possibly have made this more fucked up? :ThumbDown1:

Short answer no they couldn't.

Almost the same thing happened with me on a galaxy s6. The thing kept rebooting non stop. Went down to my local shop and they pulled a not-another-one face. 

Wound up with a brand new motherboard and screen. The replacement loaner was a chunk of shit and very soon after I got a S8 which was much better. 

Now using a galaxy a50 which I must say has been great. Battery life is very long for what it is. I'm on my phone for hours a day. Even so solid performance. 

I had to buy an i7 a few years ago for testing an app I was building. That was my first apple phone. It was and still is quite reliable but now I needed an Android again to test a different app so I bought a OnePlus 7T. Great phone and while not available in Australia except on Kogan (from the US) I saw that PowerBuy in Central Festival had them.

The only issue I have with it is its size. The iPhone was a standard size and felt comfortable in my pocket but the OnePlus is too big.

Edited by Kahoy