IGNORED

Is China Garden still open?

SlowlyMan

Anybody know if China Garden Soi Lengkee is still open. I've called and emailed over the last two weeks. No response. They are usually fast to respond. I have a reservation for my up coming trip, becoming a bit concerned,

I got a response from Yuri in October. But now Crickets.

My regular is going to run over there tomorrow. She will get things straightened out.

Edited by SlowlyMan

I was a bit worried when I heard Yuriy had left, as I always dealt with him,but the new owner replied to my email yesterday and said my booking was still valid.

I've stayed for years as well.

I got a response after sending a flurry of emails from several addresses to both contact addresses. He only confirmed they have my reservation, but he didn't answer any of the other questions I asked.

My girl stopped by and spoke with reception. She confirmed my reservation, and confirmed the new owner has not been good about returning emails.

I land in 10 days. I I'll see how it goes. One of the reasons I have stayed here for years is the great customer service Yuri provided. If that has changed, I may need to look elsewhere. But, we'll see.

If you don,t mind, when you arrive could you let us know how things are currently at china garden.

I have also stayed here for a long time and hope I don,t have to go elsewhere, but like you I

suppose I,ll have to wait and see.

The new owner Joe took a little while to get to grips with Yuri's system, all bookings made before I sold are valid. I believe Joe (new owner) has delegated the answering of emails to the cashiers who should reply fairly promptly. The roads works outside which are dogging most of Pattaya seem to be ending with a new layer of cement being poured today. 

Cheers,

Ian (ex-owner)  

Ah, Pattaya road construction. I hope it holds up better then last years work on Soi potthole.

Thanks for the update Ian. As I've told you many times Yuri did a great job. We've all gotten a bit spoiled.

• 3 weeks later...

It slowly been in decline since change of owners

The original owner built such a good reputation 

It was hard to get a room there

It was top place to stay on many peoples list

I believe the name has changed. If I am correct China Gardens is now Steak & CO

I've stayed there when it was the British Chinese restaurant china garden glory days

Also a few times steak and co

Afraid to say that after 32 years of going to Pattaya it's the same old story once hotels owner's sell up and new owner's move in the hotel is never the same as before and yes I have stayed at China Garden when Ian was the owner and it as a great place to stay loved it. Now that Ian has left don't think I will bother to stay there again, same applies to the Boomerang guest house another great place to stay until the owner sold it, today you hardly see Boomerang mentioned on this forum these days another slowly declining hotel.  

God I don't know how many hotels I have used but know it's a lot and ranging from Island View & Cosy in the South, to Apex & Royal Plaza in the Central to D Apartment, Diana-Oasis & China Garden in Soi Buakaow to Beach View, Dusit Resort & Sunshine Garden in the North and many many more and will be staying at Diana-Oasis next trip in May.   

5 minutes ago, Rainsberger said:

Afraid to say that after 32 years of going to Pattaya it's the same old story once hotels owner's sell up and new owner's move in the hotel is never the same as before and yes I have stayed at China Garden when Ian was the owner and it as a great place to stay loved it. Now that Ian has left don't think I will bother to stay there again, same applies to the Boomerang guest house another great place to stay until the owner sold it, today you hardly see Boomerang mentioned on this forum these days another slowly declining hotel.  

God I don't know how many hotels I have used but know it's a lot and ranging from Island View & Cosy in the South, to Apex & Royal Plaza in the Central to D Apartment, Diana-Oasis & China Garden in Soi Buakaow to Beach View, Dusit Resort & Sunshine Garden in the North and many many more and will be staying at Diana-Oasis next trip in May.   

Devee8 (Michael) made it clear Boomerang would no longer be a guesthouse and as far as I am aware contacted and assisted anyone who had a booking before it changed hands.

I believe in "Boomerangs" case the change in "guesthouse rules and regulations" was a contributory factor and possibly will continue to be a contributory factor for many others, it would seem in the case of "China Garden" the new owner realising the restrictions has opted for a "management company".

i have always stayed oin china garden till last oct 

am planning a trip next month  agin .

but see on their sites steak&co that prices have increased to 850b/night.

also wonder if yuri still manages the mails . as he never failed to get me the rooms in wanted . curious to know how its run by the new management. 

5 minutes ago, i_love_3somes said:

i have always stayed oin china garden till last oct 

am planning a trip next month  agin .

but see on their sites steak&co that prices have increased to 850b/night.

also wonder if yuri still manages the mails . as he never failed to get me the rooms in wanted . curious to know how its run by the new management. 

Yuri is gone. It appears the new owner has put management on the Thai staff. Email response has been non existent. The staff is trying hard. No doubt because of the training they received from Yuri and Ian. But Thai priorities just don't align with Western priorities. Not sure where you're getting a rate of 850. The website had 500. 600. 1000. Confirmed by staff. The Chinagarden@gmail is monitored by the Thai staff. Good luck getting a response. I'm booked in for 3 months. But if I can find a suitable substute I'm checking out at the end of the month. They do require payment in full at check-in. I said no way. I'm paying a week at a time. Not sure if they allowed it because I've stayed so many times. Or if it's a flexible policy. 

I don't think this will work if the owner continues to be absentee. He doesn't seem to have a good understanding of the hospitality business.

As with everything YMMV.

• Thanks 1