IGNORED

Elon Musk wins defamation trial against British Cave Explorer

The Pattaya News

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – A federal court jury in Los Angeles on Friday found in favor of Tesla Inc <TSLA.O> boss Elon Musk in the defamation lawsuit brought against him by a British Cave explorer who Musk had branded a “pedo guy” on Twitter. The verdict was delivered on the fourth day of the trial […]

The post Elon Musk wins defamation trial against British Cave Explorer appeared first on The Pattaya News.

Click To View The Pattaya News Website

https://thepattayanews.com/newsletter/

Check out our Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCznGH-m-TAn2iqTYQL5yOcA

I really wanted to see Elon take a dive, pardon the pun! 

• Like 3

edit

Edited by Kahoy

I’d be calling Musk a fucking pedo bully cunt who lawyered up.....it’s just an argument your honour, everyone curses in arguments.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, keepitfun said:

I’d be calling Musk a fucking pedo bully cunt who lawyered up.....it’s just an argument your honour, everyone curses in arguments.

Maybe more to the “pedo guy” than we know.......Elon’s not backed down and “pedo guy” respects the juries decision.......

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, HowieD said:

Maybe more to the “pedo guy” than we know.......Elon’s not backed down and “pedo guy” respects the juries decision.......

Musks defence lawyer said the tweet " was a joking, deleted, apologized for, responsive tweet."

Sounds like he backed down to me .... but he obviously could have the best lawyers that money can buy so won the court case 

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

Elon Musk showed himself at the time to be an utter cunt throughout the whole rescue process and pretty much every week since my opinion of him has lessened. How a jury can vote like that ... well expect your free tesla on your drive any day soon. Myoney can buy you anything, especially if you have enough for the very best lawyers.

• Like 3

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png                                                                                      

The Los Angeles jury made the right decision.

While British expat, Vernon Unsworth, isn't literally a pedophile, I'd be willing to bet 5-million baht that he's a whore monger who pays of-age young Thai prostitutes for sex.  I don't think anyone on this board disbelieves that, or believes a single a 63-year-old Brit of this demographic is in Thailand solely for diving.  Do I know this for a fact?  The answer is no, but I wouldn't hesitate to put down and risk 5-million baht.  Ever since this case started, I said to myself, if Musk  had simply called Unsworth a "whore monger" instead of pedo-man, he probably wouldn't have a leg to stand on.  Even if he claimed he wasn't a so-called whore monger, many might consider whore-monger to be a fitting statement.

The jury wasn't buying this nonsense and dismissed the case because the case was baseless and weak, focusing upon emotions rather than evidence.  I'm glad he got zero;  it was a frivolous lawsuit based on the libel laws.

Unsworth wasted his time and money.

In closing arguments, Unsworth's attorneys asked for $190 million in damages.  

The jury wasn't buying this nonsense.

I'm no fan of Elon Musk, but the members of the  impartial LA jury, based upon a preponderance of the evidence, fulfilled their civic duty.

Edited by 6853395
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

In addition to the above, Musk really stuck it to him.  Unsworth was hoping for a settlement, and Elon probably could have settled for less than he paid in legal fees.

As for the California jury making the right call based on the law, I've served on CA jury trials several times, both criminal and civil, once as jury foreperson.

NPR has a more informative legal summary:

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/06/785747858/los-angeles-jury-finds-no-defamation-in-elon-musks-pedo-guy-tweet

Edited by 6853395

Yes Unsworths (or his lawyers )biggest mistake was asking for $190 million in damages.

If he had asked for $1.0 million, the result might have been different.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Correct decision, which is surprising given how liberal must California jurors are.    In a world of liberals offended by every off hand remark, and who resent those who are successful, it's good to see this result.   As stated within various reports, requesting absurd damage claims with appeals to emotion and not evidence is a foolish strategy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Billyboy294, No, he still would have received zero.  Juries may reduce the amount if libel was substantiated.  I've served on civil trials many times.  Plaintiffs always ask for an exorbitant amount, and even if damages are awarded, the juries have a separate form to analyze damages.  This is standard law in CA Civil Code for Jury instructions, and phase II, monetary damage instructions, only proceeds if part I is yes.

Also, CA Civil Trials have written instructions and forms which go step-by-step.  First question regarding the charge or damage at hand.  If yes, move to step 2.  If no, stop.  The damage phase has its own procedures.  They never reached phase 2.  If a jury is finished within an hour or two, it's generally not good news for the plaintiff.  If takes several hours or days, they're working on the subsequent sections of the instructions.  The foreperson overseas the instruction form.  

Edited by 6853395

@heytc , agreed these matters are based upon facts, evidence, the law, and judicial guidance and instructions.  Civil cases are not the result of liberalism as juries follow the law (as in this particular case) even if they don't agree with it.    

The only notable challenge (told from a Republican-appointee judge I served with), stated that marijuana trials were a challenge in SF (this was humourous at the time).  Furthermore, plaintiffs have the right to ask for a bench trial, which is oftentimes the route taken when there's a case with merit.

Finally, it wasn't the amount that was foolish.  It was the meritless case that was foolish. 

BTW, I report for jury duty Monday morning.  As always, I'm looking forward to it!

Edited by 6853395
  • Like 2

Maybe the judge and some of tbe jury are Pattaya visitors and didn't want too much attention drawn to this place and its 'activities'

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

1 hour ago, heytc said:

Correct decision, which is surprising given how liberal must California jurors are.    In a world of liberals offended by every off hand remark, and who resent those who are successful, it's good to see this result.   As stated within various reports, requesting absurd damage claims with appeals to emotion and not evidence is a foolish strategy.

I'd normally agree with a comment like this ... and, I mean, I do agree with the whole 'people are way too easily offended these days' stuff, but it was far from just an offhand remark, mate.

Have a read of this email from Elon Musk and see if you still think the 'pedo' tweet and it's follow-up insinuations were just off-the-cuff remarks:

sub-buzz-18491-1536093230-2.jpg?downsize

The big winners again are the lawyers,dread to think what there final bill was,sometimes a sorry and a handshake is all that's needed 

American wins court battle in America against Brit shock

Lewis v Holyfield Madison Sq Garden 1999 revisited 

59 minutes ago, simon6666 said:

I'd normally agree with a comment like this ... and, I mean, I do agree with the whole 'people are way too easily offended these days' stuff, but it was far from just an offhand remark, mate.

Have a read of this email from Elon Musk and see if you still think the 'pedo' tweet and it's follow-up insinuations were just off-the-cuff remarks:

I agree with you.  From all the evidence we have been shown publically, it appears that Mr. Musk wanted his 22m followers to believe that Vern was a paedophile.   That seems beyond doubt to me.  Tweets, emails and actions over a period of time, all consistent.

If I were Mr Musk, I would feel disapointed by the outcome.  I would feel that I have won the court case, but only by lying.  I have had to lie in court in order to win.  I would know that I went out of my way to try and convince my twitter fans that Vern was a paedophile. And yet I have had to stand up in court and deny that I said Vern was a paedophile.  Thats a big thing to do. 

If I were Mr Musk I would be upset that I have done this.  Winning a court case is a hollow victory as the world has seen how I dealt with this issue, and I come off in a poor light, not a good guy.  

Thats my view.   A phyrric victory - had to google that to check what it meant. 555.

In a more perfect world, Mr Musk will now sincerely apologize and give Vern some money.  This may help restore his reputation a bit.

Edited by rog555

17 hours ago, simon6666 said:

I think folks can’t ready that clearly, maybe why no one responds to it? Could one just make up that 12 year old marriage stuff etc and get away with it? Maybe that letter is a hoax? 

This is from the image of text, Simon6666 put up....maybe why Pedo guy thanked the jury??

41EA7229-2984-4B1A-AEE4-1EA4F89FE8E8.jpeg

Sorry I didn't read all of the supporting docs, but somebody who did, can maybe answer the questions...

Did the guy actually go after a 12 year old bride or did he actually perv after under-18 year old girls?

What was the basis for the jury rejecting the defamation claim? Musk's statements are clear.

Or were the jury just unclear whether Musk's charges were true?

Did they just assume that such a man (an older falang in Thailand) must be a pervert? If so, we should all be outraged.

23 hours ago, Stokielad said:

How a jury can vote like that ... well expect your free tesla on your drive any day soon. Myoney can buy you anything, especially if you have enough for the very best lawyers.

After the OJ verdict, are your really surprised with any decisions that come out of LA anymore? 

3 hours ago, Biennial said:

Did the guy actually go after a 12 year old bride or did he actually perv after under-18 year old girls?

What was the basis for the jury rejecting the defamation claim? Musk's statements are clear.

The 12 year old bride thing was apparently info given from the conman private investigator. Musk asked for copies of the proof but never got it.

The jury rejected the case because the entire thing came off as a petty argument between two grown men. An argument instigated by the guy seeking the damages.