IGNORED

Survey show’s over 90% of Thai people approve of upcoming single use plastic bag ban starting next year in Thailand

The Pattaya News

BANGKOK (NNT) – A recent survey shows that most people support the government’s No Plastic campaign, which will start on January 1st, and changing consumer behavior to promote a clean environment. The Natural Resources and Environment Minister, Varawut Silpa-archa, said today his ministry has arranged an event to mark Thai Environment Day as well as […]

The post Survey show’s over 90% of Thai people approve of upcoming single use plastic bag ban starting next year in Thailand appeared first on The Pattaya News.

Click To View The Pattaya News Website

https://thepattayanews.com/newsletter/

Check out our Youtube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCznGH-m-TAn2iqTYQL5yOcA

It will be interesting to see what alternative they intend to offer to shoppers who arrive at the cash counter with a full trolley of groceries and no means of carrying those goods away.

22 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

It will be interesting to see what alternative they intend to offer to shoppers who arrive at the cash counter with a full trolley of groceries and no means of carrying those goods away.

It will probably be not different that the way they do in western countries :

- tell you to buy reusable bags available at cashier desk

- may find some used cardboard box if a really big quantity of products.

8 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

So in reality no more that an marketing exercise as most are offering re-usable plastic bags which in effect could, in the longer term exacerbate the problem. Places such as Boots are intending to offer brown paper bags, I can almost hear the Tree protection advocates tooling up from here.

I have noted that places such as Foodland and Villa are offering re-usable bags at a cost varying from 20 baht to 30 baht per bag, which should be an on-going  addition to profits. These continuous spur of the moment solutions rarely end up as such. If they were serious then the alternative should have been thought out more carefully, ensuing it would not merely shift the focus to yet another environmental problem. Then in could have been brought into effect as a regulation with suitable alternatives listed under such regulation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Pattaya News said:

BANGKOK (NNT) – A recent survey shows that most people support the government’s No Plastic campaign, which will start on January 1st, and changing consumer behavior to promote a clean environment. The Natural Resources and Environment Minister, Varawut Silpa-archa, said today his ministry has arranged an event to mark Thai Environment Day as well as […]

The post Survey show’s over 90% of Thai people approve of upcoming single use plastic bag ban starting next year in Thailand appeared first on The Pattaya News.

Click To View The Pattaya News Website

I can give you the "reality" here

I went to Big C yesterday as its right opposite my house

I was almost wetting myself laughing - pretty much EVERY Thai i saw at the checkouts was going ballistic and demanding bags (they were given them) - so i would have to dispute this 90%

90% in theory perhaps - when it came down to reality it was certainly not the case from what I witnessed.

That said, Makro is right next door and Makro has never had bags, as long as i can recall. If they can cope there why not everywhere else.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

1 hour ago, Oukiva said:

55 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

So in reality no more that an marketing exercise as most are offering re-usable plastic bags which in effect could, in the longer term exacerbate the problem. Places such as Boots are intending to offer brown paper bags, I can almost hear the Tree protection advocates tooling up from here.

I have noted that places such as Foodland and Villa are offering re-usable bags at a cost varying from 20 baht to 30 baht per bag, which should be an on-going  addition to profits. These continuous spur of the moment solutions rarely end up as such. If they were serious then the alternative should have been thought out more carefully, ensuing it would not merely shift the focus to yet another environmental problem. Then in could have been brought into effect as a regulation with suitable alternatives listed under such regulation.

They did the plastic  reusable bag where I'm from,  then they went to paper, or you can get an empty cardboard box..

Not many alternatives to that really.

5 minutes ago, whitespider said:

I was almost wetting myself laughing - pretty much EVERY Thai i saw at the checkouts was going ballistic and demanding bags (they were given them) - so i would have to dispute this 90%

90% in theory perhaps - when it came down to reality it was certainly not the case from what I witnessed.

That said, Makro is right next door and Makro has never had bags, as long as i can recall. If they can cope there why not everywhere else.

Because Makro is basically a whole-seller, despite the fact they will let some public register lol

But you are right I have seen Thais letting loose when refused bags and soon got them.

1 minute ago, Harry Brown said:

They did the plastic  reusable bag where I'm from,  then they went to paper, or you can get an empty cardboard box..

Not many alternatives to that really.

I think there are, from fast growth stuff such as hemp, to seaweed and certain other  by-products. It just takes a little more planning than we are seeing. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I think there are, from fast growth stuff such as hemp, to seaweed and certain other  by-products. It just takes a little more planning than we are seeing. :rolleyes:

good points. I know that our city council issues a type of plastic bag that is made out of corn starch so it degrades  this is used for food scrapes in the kitchen and then we put in our biodegradables mate bin for weekly collection.

2 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

good points. I know that our city council issues a type of plastic bag that is made out of corn starch so it degrades  this is used for food scrapes in the kitchen and then we put in our biodegradables mate bin for weekly collection.

Mate it seems crazy, back in the day, biodegradable kitchen waste and rotten veg was picked up by the farmers wagon, boiled up and fed to the free range pigs, no other type then.  They tasted better too :Evil_Grin2:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whitespider said:

I went to Big C Extra yesterday and they were using bags as usual.  Big C Extra only enforced the no bags on the 4th for maybe the first 4 or 5 months, then it was back to normal. However if you use the express checkouts (the first 4) they don't provide bags any day (new policy).  I don't think the plastic shopping bags are the problem as I've only seen a couple on the ground during my daily walks.  The plastic that I see everywhere is the small stuff that the food vendors use.