Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Nikon Z6 Mirrorless Camera

Piece Corp

1 hour ago, Halfaboy said:

It seems that the Nikon D850 (a full frame camera) has an option to use it as a DX. Does that mean that using this option also DX lenses can be used ?

Thanks for answering....

The full frame cameras detect DX lenses automatically and switch to DX mode. I haven't yet tried my DX lens on the Z6 but I assume it will work just fine. 

Retired

• 2 weeks later...

ooooh my bloody god Piece,your a lucky bugger....if it were me behind the lens I,m certain a few "wet dreams" would be following the photo shoot :GrinNod1:

Can highly recommend the GODOX 685's. I bought one with ttl and 2 manual. After a couple of months of use confirmed they do exactly what they say on the tin, I flogged off my SB910's and made a nice profit :) They pack a punch, have good battery life usage and the abilty to group and control all the settings from the camera really helps speed up the shoot, I'm a big fan. I use with a Nikon D810 but I am impressed with the z6, the thought of losing a lot of weight in my hand is very appealing.

Edited by Stokielad

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png                                                                                      

The Z6 is noticeably smaller and lighter than my D610, 580g vs. 850g.  However, I think the difference is trivial.  What I like better about the camera is the new mount that allows for better capture, the in-body stabilization so I can use slower shutter speeds, and shooting with the touch screen.  The electronic view finder is very good too, and 'traditionalists' will probably feel most comfortable using the eye piece, but I like being able to frame shots by swinging my arm.  It's no longer a problem if someone steps in front of you :D  and you easily obtain a variety of angles, but more of a challenge keeping the camera level, although this can be tweaked in post processing. 

I haven't done much video, but the Z6 is considered the best video camera Nikon has ever made, even better than the more expensive Z7. The Eye AF wasn't yet available when this review was made.

https://theartofphotography.tv/nikon-z6-video-quality/

• Like 2

Retired

Sexy as fuck Piece....your a lucky barsteward....need anyone to change filters for you,I,m very very cheap :Laugh1:

• 3 weeks later...

You have been sharing a great collection of images, thanks Piece Corp. I'm thinking of leaving my d810 behind and going mirrorless, the weight is just such a faff these days. I'm thing of going down the Fuiji route, there are many who have jumped form Nikon and not regretted it and they are much more value for money. I might rry out an XT-3 soon.

Incidentally where do you source your models from? I'm coming over hopefully in June to Bangkok and Pattaya and would like to get some portrait work done as "other actiivties" :)

53 minutes ago, Stokielad said:

You have been sharing a great collection of images, thanks Piece Corp. I'm thinking of leaving my d810 behind and going mirrorless, the weight is just such a faff these days. I'm thing of going down the Fuiji route, there are many who have jumped form Nikon and not regretted it and they are much more value for money. I might rry out an XT-3 soon.

Incidentally where do you source your models from? I'm coming over hopefully in June to Bangkok and Pattaya and would like to get some portrait work done as "other actiivties" :)

The D810 is an excellent camera.  I didn’t go mirrorless because of the weight difference and remained with Nikon because I had invested in lenses, and I believe their engineers will keep turning out great technology.

modelmayhem.com is a good source for models 

Retired

1 hour ago, Piece Corp said:

The D810 is an excellent camera.  I didn’t go mirrorless because of the weight difference and remained with Nikon because I had invested in lenses, and I believe their engineers will keep turning out great technology.

modelmayhem.com is a good source for models 

I use modelmayhem in the uk, do you use it in Bangkok then?

8 hours ago, Stokielad said:

I use modelmayhem in the uk, do you use it in Bangkok then?

You can hire Xanny lol

Retired

^ I think this is beyond the scope of the thread :rolleyes:

Retired

Sorry, guys, but a number of posts hidden for nudity in the open section of the forum.

Again....NO NUDITY HERE PLEASE 

• 6 months later...

I think this or the camera that replaces it will be my next camera. Trouble for me is most of my lenses are screw drives and the z series will not work with them. A wholesale change is in order. 

I think I could get this camera and a 24-70 and have 90 percent of my shooting taken care of. Still would lust after the 50 mm 1.2. 

• 7 months later...

DxOMark came out with camera sensor ratings, the Nikon Z6 scored very well at 95 for a combination portrait, landscape, and sports, tied for 16th place with the highest rated Canon camera, the Canon EOS R5 which costs twice as much.  Of all the camera sensors rated higher, only the Pentax K-1 is less expensive (by $200).  The highest rated camera sensor is in the Hasselblad X1D-50c, which is a $9,000 camera.  Interestingly, 10 of the top 25 rated sensors were in cameras manufactured by Nikon, with the D850, Z7II, Z7, D810, and D800E  scoring higher than the Z6.  That said, most of the sensors in Nikon cameras are actually manufactured by Sony, including in the D850, Z7, and Z6.  Does that matter?  Doesn't matter to me, Nikon has always been an optical company and I'm betting on their engineers to come out with some great lenses for the new Z-mount.  

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/

I was ready to invest into some new glass for my Z6.  Nikon recently released a 70-200 mm f/2.8 S, which would be a great compliment to my 24-70 mm f/4 kit lens.  I found some camera shops in Bangkok that had them but they were priced at 83,000 baht, which is more than I spent on the camera and kit lens combined.  If that sounds outrageous, I looked in the Sony store and they wanted 90,000 baht for theirs.

I'm sure it's a fine lens but with the shooting I do I rarely go above 100 mm, basically just wildlife shots, and I can use my 28-300 mm FX lens through the FtoZ adapter.  Here are some examples I shot at Lumpini Park at 250 mm.  The adult Monitors have few predators and are not afraid of you, but you don't want to get too close because they might wack you with their tail.

DSC_4315.thumb.JPG.cdd960a4d98596d52dc40c815998cbb1.JPGDSC_4369.thumb.JPG.2791e148f4317f7414ebb6c37bc4da75.JPGDSC_4467.thumb.JPG.ab8edbf8f20ce489a3e8e0b4088b121a.JPGDSC_4471.thumb.JPG.b304f784306d24bfff79253ee9243036.JPGDSC_4489.thumb.JPG.bcea36d6bbb7b6c0b38d929b5b2d8a42.JPG

Alternately, I purchased the 85 mm f/1.8 S lens for 24,500 baht.  I could have bought the equivalent F-mount lens for half the price and used it with the adapter, but there's no sense having a camera with new lens mount unless you're going to buy lenses engineered for it.  The throat size for the new mount is 52 mm, largest in the industry for a full-frame camera, and significantly wider than the 44 mm in the F-mount.  The flange distance, i.e. distance between the lens and sensor, decreased from 46.5 mm to 16 mm without the mirror, so the angle of incidence was increased from 12 degrees to 44 degrees, resulting in much more light hitting the sensor.

I was anxious to try out the lens with some street photography in lower Sukhumvit last October.

Soi Nana, heading north, just before the Nana intersection.

DSC_1992.thumb.JPG.fac4e04992413ece1674cb396e35c749.JPG

DSC_1991.thumb.JPG.e127c894b280a5e3d3c7e93d0341df4c.JPG

Bully's Pub

DSC_1986.thumb.JPG.60ee16f22057ca16320c52cc3778d0bf.JPG

Soi 11

DSC_2021.thumb.JPG.84d20dff7a2eea795b5b49d0ec1c7417.JPG

Soi 13

DSC_2025.thumb.JPG.47ff2ab2080aa759c51329577d152fa5.JPG

Here I wanted to test the In-Body Image Stabilization of the camera, so set the shutter to 0.5 seconds.  This is at the Westin hotel waterfall on Soi 19.  You can see the flags flying but the Asoke BTS lettering is quite clear, and this is hand-held, would have been blurred by camera shake using the Nikon D610 at this slow shutter speed, the D610 has no IBIS.  This lens has no vibration reduction since it's considered a 'fast' lens, but many lenses do have vibration reduction and the IBIS in this camera is designed to compliment any vibration reduction in the lens.

DSC_2068.thumb.JPG.d00e83e59ed2adc3c5ace0ffffbe01b4.JPG

Here's a uncropped night shot from my room at the JW Marriott.

DSC_1980.thumb.JPG.3771814dda2d56d68bb4e96f16531bba.JPG

I bought the lens for model shoots.  I like the shallow depth of field, here with Tangmo's face in sharp focus even with the lens wide open.

DSC_0179.thumb.JPG.63c62c222865597765e98b37be749da6.JPG

Here are a few more with the lens wide open.

DSC_2598.thumb.JPG.0c899ffe4fbabfa366ceeb6a015bd14c.JPGDSC_3045.thumb.JPG.6e95f89a088082d51599a7d8581723b5.JPG

@ f/2.8

DSC_8836.thumb.JPG.f46ec5b5f21b456f888305274ffff0db.JPG

@ f/7.1

DSC_2200.thumb.JPG.a5000156f5e0e4944bb14e4d30aac37b.JPG

I like the lens.  I'd like a larger aperture but they're not available yet and will be both expensive and heavy to carry around.  "The Fro" gives his reviews the lens.

Retired

@Piece Corp 

Maybe have a look at the Sigma Art series , great optics as well . 

1 hour ago, jerry said:

@Piece Corp 

Maybe have a look at the Sigma Art series , great optics as well . 

At the current time, there are only rumors of Sigma and/or Tamron making lenses for the Z-mount.

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/12/06/sigma-rumored-to-start-making-mirrorless-lenses-for-nikon-z-mount-in-2021.aspx/

Retired

Using a prime lens with the Z6 really showed the advantage of IBIS, something that is lacking with my D750.

• 1 month later...

Today, Nikon announced a new camera, the Z fc, an APS-C 20 MP retro-styled mirrorless camera with analog dials for setting ISO, shutter speed, and exposure compensation, for around a thousand bucks.  I really like the look of this camera, and it comes in 6 colors.  Specifications are similar to the Z50 but with improved auto-focus.

Retired

2 hours ago, Piece Corp said:

Today, Nikon announced a new camera, the Z fc, an APS-C 20 MP retro-styled mirrorless camera with analog dials

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. That looks like quite the interesting camera. :-)

Nice "looking" camera but $1000 for a APSC camera??? that's a little steep

Nikon is a little late to the party on this front, the Fuji XT-3 and XT-4 massively outshines it in sensor and autofocus specs. Fuji are also the market leaders IMHO when it comes to retro looks.

The big difference though is the price of the glass, much more value and still very high quality in the Fuji range.

Edited by Stokielad

The introduction of the camera is a direct attempt to compete with Fuji and take some of their market.  It’s notable one of the options as a kit lens is a retro-styled 28 mm f/2.8 FX, leading to speculation Nikon may be planning a full frame retro-styled camera.  Here’s another review.

Retired

1 hour ago, Piece Corp said:

The introduction of the camera is a direct attempt to compete with Fuji and take some of their market.  It’s notable one of the options as a kit lens is a retro-styled 28 mm f/2.8 FX, leading to speculation Nikon may be planning a full frame retro-styled camera.  Here’s another review.

A Df, mirrorless body?

1 hour ago, Roadglide said:

A Df, mirrorless body?

The Df didn’t sell well, an expensive full frame without video.

Retired

I was thinking of buying a 35 mm f/1.8 S for my Z6 for $800.  I think I’d rather spend $1200 and buy a ZfC with the 28 mm f/2.8, which I could also use as a full frame lens on the Z6.  There will be situations where I want In-Body Image Stabilization, better low light capabilities, or higher resolution, so I’ll still use the Z6, but for most other situations I think this camera would do just fine, and I can use all my glass with it.  This isn’t a professional camera, this is for a hobbyist who wants to look and feel cool. As the last reviewer said, it’s sexier than the Fuji’s. 

Retired

Great shots and like Jerry said, nice to talk machines, but your eye is the most important part of the "machine".  

Question, how to the welcome girls react to your having a full sized camera and taking their photos in the gogo areas.  I have heard that they are generally not pleased, now the seven thousand Chinese tourists snapping them with the Oppo, no problem.

Once we get back to a normal normal, I want to be able to shoot on Walking Street in Pattaya with my Lumix G9, 42.5/1.2 Leica but I don't want beer bottles thrown at me.  Any suggestions?

Joker...