Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

How is it flying out of U-Tapo?

Chicagoarc

I am thinking of booking a 3-4 day trip during my stay in February to either Phuket or Koh Samui for the chance to explore a place I’ve not been to yet. I will probably be leaving from Patts, but will need to come back to Bangkok after the trip fairly quickly (might be able to squeeze 1 more Patts day in before the flight home if the fares and days line up). My only experience with the airports over there is Suvarnabhumi, so if there is any tips for making a trip like this, feel free to share them too. Thanks in advance.

I've flown to Koh Samui from there.  It was ok.  I wouldn't  recommend it if you're budget watching.  It can be far easier and cheaper to get to those places if you just travel to BKK.. 

• Like 2

Book a one way ticket from U-Tapao to Phuket, and then a one way from Phuket to BKK, saves you a long ride from Pattaya to BKK.

Air Asia to Phuket is cheap. Bangkok Air not so cheap, but has propellers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

U-Tapao is fast and easy. I used it for some super cheap fares on AirAsia. If you search around, there is a mini bus for about 250b each way as ground transportation.

• Like 2

I have used it numerous occasions for both Thai domestic and international flights. My experiences are as follows:-

• departing from Pattaya to U-Tapao is a lot more convenient with less travel time required to get to airport
  • the cost either by taxi or bus is not very high, though the bus to U-Tapoa is more expensive than to Suvarnabhumi,
  • at the airport the security is less onerous and quicker;
  • for international departures the desks are less crowded and a lot quicker;
  • the catering and shopping facilities do not a great range of choice, if you are interested in that sort of thing.

For arrivals:-

• quicker,
  •  easier to manage than Suvarnabhumi;
  •  there are number of travel options;
  • more convenient and
  • quicker to get to Pattaya  

Overall I rate it as a positive experience.   

• Like 4

UTP is a great place to fly out of if you can make it fit with your schedule.

A private car from Patts to UTP is cheaper and the ride is shorter than to BKK or DMK

UTP airport is not busy at all.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

There is an Antonov 124 parked at UTapao now.

Also, prices at the Duty Free shop for liquor are pretty low.

• Like 1

I have done Phuket to UTP, and it was perfect. Cheap and quick minibus to Patts hotel too.

If you fly out from UTP with AirAsia,  make sure to book from Pattaya City, on their website. That includes a minibus ride from Central Festival to UTP at a discounted price. 

• Like 1

Me and a friend used it when flying to Chiang Mai last month.

It beats going al the way to Bangkok for the flight.

Only problem nothing was open in the early morning to get coffee before the flight.

Make sure you arrange transportation from the airport back to your Pattaya hotel.

At least don't take the mini bus at U-Tapo as it took over 2 hours after being handing over to mini vans once in Pattaya.

LeoTex

• Like 2

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

21 minutes ago, rioman said:

Any car service types - IE Nam - offering service there yet?  What about taxi rates from there to Pattaya?

Besides the minibus, they have a window outside for taxis as well as limo service.

I didn't check prices with them, my mistake.

I know Nam's cars don't go there because I guess of the hassle they get at the airport not having the proper permits.

Not sure if the other car service do.

I know that the little travel booth in LK Metro, second one in from Soi Diana where we made the air/hotel reservations for Chiang Mai could have arranged the pick-up for us.

I think the charge was the same as the 800 baht we paid to go out to the airport.  Next time I will do this.

LeoTex

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

I have traveled through Utapo a few times. When I did so last year the road construction caused it to be a longer drive than Suvarnabuhmi (BKK) would have been. I do not know what the current state of the road delays are.

I have had no problems finding drivers for UTP. Nam did not want to schedule the route, but that was during Songkran on relatively short notice. I found the 250 baht bus to be ok and would go that route again in the future. Since I have written off Koh Samui, I am unlikely to use UTP again as I prefer using Thai Smiles out of BKK.

UTP is rather thread bare, so to speak and I do not find domestic check-in and security to be much of a problem when using Thai Smile at BKK.

If you fly out from UTP with AirAsia,  make sure to book from Pattaya City, on their website. That includes a minibus ride from Central Festival to UTP at a discounted price. 

Ok, always wordered how you book that minibus from CF.

22 hours ago, izzyg said:

Ok, always wordered how you book that minibus from CF.

I only did it on the return. When we entered the terminal, the guy at the first desk suggested making a reservation, so we gave it a try. It was pretty painless and they left everyone off at their individual lodging. As we live in Jomtien, we were an earlier drop off. I am sure you can book it for the outbound as well, but sorry in that I do not remember the name. Maybe one of the other BMs can help out.

Any idea of the AirAsia bus schedule from Central to U-Tapao? Is there a regular schedule? I’m wondering how to get a minibus to the airport. Taxis have quoted me between 700 and 1100 baht.

I have found Utapo easy to get thru - you can be off the plane and in your taxi within 15 minutes.

I recommend booking a taxi as the mini bus can take ages, particularly if you are booked in central Pattaya or beyond

I have been charged 700 baht when booking with a taxi service.