IGNORED

J C not happy in Thailand?

danny78

3 hours ago, sulu said:

May I ask how you know "immigration pocketed 13K Baht" ?

So you've circumvented the law and illegally got an agent to help you do that and if you're found out you'll be mad at Thailand, yes ? Again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

And how would your depositing 800K Baht in YOUR account be them "getting (y)our money" ?

I paid the agent 15,000. He took 2,000 and gave the other 13,000 to the bank employee who gave it to the Immigration official.

The Thai Immigration law has a weasel clause that allows senior Immigration officials to waive the "seasoning" on the 800k in the bank so technically it is not illegal.

The 800k pays a measly 1 pct. I am sure they invest that money and earn at least 5 - 10 pct. That is why I did not want to deposit the money. I kept it in the stock market where I have averaged over 10 pct for the past 15 years. 

It is also questionable what would happen if someone hacked into that account and stole the 800k or if there is another coup or another Asian financial crisis like 1997. I feel much more comfortable keeping my money in the U.S. where I am a citizen and have legal rights.  

The wife and I were very happy for 20 years, then we met.

3 minutes ago, cjtrader said:

I paid the agent 15,000. He took 2,000 and gave the other 13,000 to the bank employee who gave it to the Immigration official.

The Thai Immigration law has a weasel clause that allows senior Immigration officials to waive the "seasoning" on the 800k in the bank so technically it is not illegal.

The 800k pays a measly 1 pct. I am sure they invest that money and earn at least 5 - 10 pct. That is why I did not want to deposit the money. I kept it in the stock market where I have averaged over 10 pct for the past 15 years. 

It is also questionable what would happen if someone hacked into that account and stole the 800k or if there is another coup or another Asian financial crisis like 1997. I feel much more comfortable keeping my money in the U.S. where I am a citizen and have legal rights.  

Why was the IO even there ? 

The 800K pays a measly 1% ? And they make 5%. Well, I NEVER !!! What nerve !!!  Dirty bastages !!!  :SoWhat1:

Surely you realize that banks all over the world borrow money at one rate and loan it out at a higher rate, no ? How else do you think they make money ? Or should they make money ? :rolleyes:

Did you ask about simply showing the 800K bank in a US bank account ? I'm not sure how that'd work but the current (US) Visa requirement for an O-A is simply showing you have that amount in AN account, not that it must be in a THAI bank account. https://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-oa/

Hacked the account ? Oy. You should probably just be a US citizen and visit Thailand as much as you can,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :Fuck_Knows:

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

On 20/11/2019 at 09:19, robhardwire said:

They want tourists nothing else, still a hell of a lot more generous on their definition of a "tourist" than most of the countries we're from

Exactly. There are few countries that I can go to and just 'retire', good luck trying to do that coming to Australia, unless it's by illegal boat ! :)  

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

4 hours ago, sulu said:

Actually a bungled analogy - kind of a Yogi Berra-ism ("Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded. :laugh:). Hope that's not the best he's got.

Point is, put a frog in hot water and he jumps right out. Put him in cool water (that's getting hot) and turn up the heat and he'll boil to death.

"Go to your friend's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours" Yogi Berra.

image.png

I'm currently getting 1.85% with Krungsri bank (the yellow one) for 18 months, getting a whopping .7%  on my funds at my credit union back in California.  The Thai banks do take out 15% of the interest you earn but if you do the necessary paperwork you get that refunded by the Thai Revenue Dept the following year.  Personally I think one should keep funds here in case of an emergency and I sure wouldn't pay someone 15K baht to get around the requirement, as that is a waste of baht.  Now that one has to now go to immigration 90 days after to show that they still have at least 800k in the bank I wonder if an additional payment will have to be made to get around the legal requirement.

7 hours ago, usexpat46 said:

Now that one has to now go to immigration 90 days after to show that they still have at least 800k in the bank I wonder if an additional payment will have to be made to get around the legal requirement.

When you use an agent, you do not need to show your bankbook after 90 days - so no additional payment.

Archived