filipef

Morcela and Black Pudding. What's the difference?

filipef

First of all, excuse me for eventual mistake on my writing, due to lack of english skills.

I come from Portugal and we have a product, called "morcela", wich is is translated for...black pudding.

I like morcela a lot, in a dish called "cozido à portuguesa" (portuguese stew), or in the oven. Never, never tried it at breakfast, in a sandwich, etc.

As i never tried black pudding in the UK (or in a english BF), i wonder is there anyone of you guys, who have tried morcela AND ALSO black pudding and tell me what is the difference (is there is any).

Thanks

gitteyman

Black pudding is made from pigs blood.

Evil Penevil
1 hour ago, filipef said:

As i never tried black pudding in the UK (or in a english BF), i wonder is there anyone of you guys, who have tried morcela AND ALSO black pudding and tell me what is the difference (is there is any).

Short answer is: there is a big difference in taste, appearance and ingredients.

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.8e2acbbcb220d47cdc8871610c54db16.jpg

As you look at the picture, morcela is on the left,  black pudding on the right.

Morcela is a blood sausage made from pieces of pork, onion and seasonings with pig's blood as a binder.  It is also smoked.  Black pudding uses  pig's blood with a high percentage of cereal (oatmeal and/or barley) as filler, but few other ingredients. Of course, there are many regional variations for both morcela and black pudding.

I can't speak from personal experience about the taste of morcela.  I have had cozido à portuguesa,  but wasn't aware it contained blood sausage.  However, a bit of research on a food site indicated morcela is very different from black pudding.

And there's only one way to know if you'll like black pudding- try it!

Evil

Edited by Evil Penevil

Mickyboy

If the Marcela was fried it would look and taste like the black pudding on the right of the photo

Evil Penevil
8 hours ago, Mickyboy said:

If the Marcela was fried it would look and taste like the black pudding on the right of the photo

That's unlikely considering the ingredients and how each is made.  Above all, morcela is a smoked sausage.

Evil

filipef

Sausage made with a combination of bread, blood, seasoned with a broth resulting from the cooking of bones, cumin, olive oil, garlic, onion and salt. After filling it will then benefit from its thermal process (cooking), after which this process will be rapidly cooled, then dried to dryers for about 24 hours and then packed.
It has a horseshoe shape and is cylindrical has a grayish black appearance with a length of 15 to 25 cm, a diameter of 17 to 18 cm and the weight of 200 to 300 grs.
Its casing is salted cow's gut (caliber 55/60), and its interior appearance consists of a homogeneous mass of brownish black color perfectly linked and with an intense flavor of olive oil and cumin.

Evil Penevil
1 hour ago, filipef said:

Sausage made with a combination of bread, blood, seasoned with a broth resulting from the cooking of bones, cumin, olive oil, garlic, onion and salt.

...  and with an intense flavor of olive oil and cumin.

That doesn't sound like English black pudding!  default_smile.png.412fd4b5e36b64bfa9b4c8ca3ffcba90.png default_smile.png.412fd4b5e36b64bfa9b4c8ca3ffcba90.pngdefault_smile.png.412fd4b5e36b64bfa9b4c8ca3ffcba90.png