Jump to content
karandy

ive got a big one

Recommended Posts

karandy

After a very arduous trip driving to pattaya and back this week ,one thing that really has struck me  over my 11 hour journey each way ,

and that is the amount and  size of the huge  pick up trucks and the sizes of their wheels ,

some of the isuzus ,fords -mitsus etc

i have an ordinary saloon car and the wheels and arches on these things came up to eye level as i was driving .

i know its personal choice ,but why do people choose such massive machines?

is it purely ego  and as the thread says -i have got a big one -mine is bigger than yours?

i was severely cut up 3 times by these monster trucks ,once on the way down and twice driving home .

got to wondering if the ego thing is small guys  big car ,or big guys small dick syndrome ?

the one pictured  had 2 small chinese older buisness gentlemen  in it ,

016.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
keepitfun

There was one in our street in suburban  Melbourne the other day ...it was a big chev with the extra wheels at the back.  Shiny as.  Never seen a dirt road or a tool box in its life.  Didn’t even have a tow bar.

I gave him the universal symbol of small dick syndrome as he went past ...extended little finger....fair to say he was not happy, but kept driving....

F0155F34-09F0-444E-8275-9107DC808366.png

Edited by keepitfun
Added the pic....not required in Melbourne suburbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Garzan

I bought a four door pickup since I knew I was going to be living in northeast Thailand. If I had been planning on staying in Pattaya, I'd have bought a small sedan like yours. I think it's been a practical choice for where I live. Whenever we haul stuff around for ourselves or family, the stuff can be in the back, and the people can be inside. Soil, building materials, plants are all better in the back that in the front. Being a bit higher than small sedans, it's easier to see in traffic, both others seeing us, and us seeing others. The truck also has a solid frame rather than a no steel frame unibody. I don't know if one is better than the other in a crash, but my own biased opinion, if I'm going to be in a crash, I'd rather be in the truck than in a small sedan. 

I personally don't think my choice of what to buy had anything to do with how big or small my "package" is, it had more to do with how big or small my wallet was when I was buying it. :-) My truck was almost double what your sedan was. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2dave
3 hours ago, karandy said:

After a very arduous trip driving to pattaya and back this week ,one thing that really has struck me  over my 11 hour journey each way ,

and that is the amount and  size of the huge  pick up trucks and the sizes of their wheels ,

some of the isuzus ,fords -mitsus etc

i have an ordinary saloon car and the wheels and arches on these things came up to eye level as i was driving .

i know its personal choice ,but why do people choose such massive machines?

is it purely ego  and as the thread says -i have got a big one -mine is bigger than yours?

i was severely cut up 3 times by these monster trucks ,once on the way down and twice driving home .

got to wondering if the ego thing is small guys  big car ,or big guys small dick syndrome ?

the one pictured  had 2 small chinese older buisness gentlemen  in it ,

016.JPG

I've got an Isuzu but use it mainly around the farm areas. I do agree that it is an ego thing with "small man/big car".

Also when many are on the road, they drive so slowly (40 to 50kmh) on an open highway that you wonder why they bought this type of vehicle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bukone

They don’t seem overly big to me, not standard but not custom either, some of the ones I see in Australia are huge, but they are usually used for 4 wheel driving, not to do the kids run or shopping in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zeconrad

That truck is tiny compared to what you see in the USA. Like 7km/liter of gas, they don't use it for anything but driving to work. From what I understand is it's just a cultural thing or maybe it has something to do with sitting up real high and not feeling small, I don't know, I drive a normal car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mikemikemike

The Ford Ranger in the first post would be considered a smaller truck in America. It's a huge craze over here now with the big full size trucks being lifted and most of them with diesel engines. And don't get me started on "rolling coal". I actually have a 2000 Dodge Ram extended cab with 6' bed. The only time I drive it is if I need to haul anything. My main vehicle is a 2000 Saturn. I don't need to take up three spaces in a parking lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
delbhoy
8 hours ago, karandy said:

After a very arduous trip driving to pattaya and back this week ,one thing that really has struck me  over my 11 hour journey each way ,

and that is the amount and  size of the huge  pick up trucks and the sizes of their wheels ,

some of the isuzus ,fords -mitsus etc

i have an ordinary saloon car and the wheels and arches on these things came up to eye level as i was driving .

i know its personal choice ,but why do people choose such massive machines?

is it purely ego  and as the thread says -i have got a big one -mine is bigger than yours?

i was severely cut up 3 times by these monster trucks ,once on the way down and twice driving home .

got to wondering if the ego thing is small guys  big car ,or big guys small dick syndrome ?

the one pictured  had 2 small chinese older buisness gentlemen  in it ,

016.JPG

Did they have a ladder to get into it:Laugh1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
udontony

My pickup is just a standard Isuzu four door, exactly what we needed for living here.  Good for five passengers and a decent load space for what we need on the farms etc.   So far it has been perfect for what we need.   The added advantages of being able to see better and some safety in the size of the crumple zones is a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobSL1

Yea just get out of the way, or I will run you over. On the roads here it is all about Size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thumper64
50 minutes ago, bobSL1 said:

Yea just get out of the way, or I will run you over. On the roads here it is all about Size.

Exactly. I always hire the biggest pick up I can find when driving in Thailand.

And always buy some of those flower tributes and put them on your rear view mirror. The cops mistake you for a local and wave you through at checkpoints. Works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
udontony
9 hours ago, thumper64 said:

Exactly. I always hire the biggest pick up I can find when driving in Thailand.

And always buy some of those flower tributes and put them on your rear view mirror. The cops mistake you for a local and wave you through at checkpoints. Works for me.

Check points in this part of Issan stop and check everyone, Thai or expats, flowers make no difference.   Local police still stop me every time even though they know I have license etc all in order, my wife asked why they stop me when they know I OK.  Police answer was that if they let me drive through without a check other locals in the queue would complain, seemed a reasonable explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Colin back in Pattaya

Hi Karandy,

Just about everywhere, cars bigger than a Fiat 500 are marketed as being an extension of our manhood. For some strange reason, I take the opposite view, that they are for getting from one place to another.

In Thailand, we started with a Toyota Vios, then got a Honda City. But in 2013, Mrs Colin won about 1,000,000 baht on the lottery which she insisted on converting into a Mitsubishi Triton 4 door pickup. I sold the City this year and plan to quit driving when my Thai license expires next summer. (At the moment, it only does a short run to the shops every couple of weeks.) Then Mrs Colin will really have to sell the Triton as she's afraid to drive it.

So as you can see, I'm absolutely not a petrolhead and I HATE Jeremy Clarkson! Even so, once I'm behind the wheel, I have an unfortunate tendency to defend 'my' right of way against all comers - though I try not to cut up small family cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kcappa

In a lot of ways, I view this the same way I see people driving BMWs in the US.  If it's an import that costs a lot, they're driving it to brag.  The thing about these Ford Rangers, nobody is going to miss this thing, it's like the freaking Titanic.  I used to live in Norway, and people would buy Hummers as status symbols, even though they had to buy a parking spot 2 blocks away because those monstrosities did not fit in street parking!  :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by kcappa
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr Wombat

It's the same in Oz. If you wanted to impress everyone in the past you bought a porsche. Now you buy a ford ranger and put huge wheels on it.

At least they are cheaper - and have 4 doors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
thegrogmonster
1 hour ago, kcappa said:

In a lot of ways, I view this the same way I see people driving BMWs in the US.  If it's an import that costs a lot, they're driving it to brag.  The thing about these Ford Rangers, nobody is going to miss this thing, it's like the freaking Titanic.  I used to live in Norway, and people would buy Hummers as status symbols, even though they had to buy a parking spot 2 blocks away because those monstrosities did not fit in street parking!  :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I watched a show about BMW having a car manufacturing plant in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
td5855
On 10/11/2019 at 21:55, udontony said:

My pickup is just a standard Isuzu four door, exactly what we needed for living here.  Good for five passengers and a decent load space for what we need on the farms etc.   So far it has been perfect for what we need.   The added advantages of being able to see better and some safety in the size of the crumple zones is a bonus.

As you know I have same, it has been invaluable in Chaiyaphum, had freezers, motorbikes, an outdoor kitchen/range and my two purpose built (To fit) dog cages.  Picking up a wash machine soon from her mum, cardboard and old sheets prevent scratches etc.

Getting into the thing is high enough without raised suspension and balloon tyres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
td5855
On 11/11/2019 at 13:08, Mr Wombat said:

It's the same in Oz. If you wanted to impress everyone in the past you bought a porsche. Now you buy a ford ranger and put huge wheels on it.

At least they are cheaper - and have 4 doors

Also cheaper than an evening inside a lap dancing club in Perth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danolo

I had a Ford F250 Diesel. When I hit the gas it was connected directly to my scrotum. Loved it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hatguy

Not a huge car but I bought a Subaru Levorg here in Japan. Not especially practical on the small roads. Planning to downsize in the next few years. Got to enjoy it while got it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Garzan
7 hours ago, hatguy said:

Not a huge car but I bought a Subaru Levorg here in Japan. Not especially practical on the small roads. Planning to downsize in the next few years. Got to enjoy it while got it. 

Wow. This is another time when I wish PA had a "Wow" emoji in addition to the simple "Like" emoji. 

My "I wish" car right now (limited to what is available that is manufactured in Thailand) is a Mazda CX-3. Maybe by 2022... :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hatguy

That video is pretty much bang on but here you can either buy the 1.6 or 2.0 liter. Mine must be an earlier model because its got the 2.0. Same creed as the rally car and currently in the British touring car championships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.