pertho

Best English style Chinese food

pertho

Hey All,

Just wondering where you think is the best english style Chinese take away in pattaya?  Its Something I really missing from home.

Thanks 

MrJ200

Retox used to do a British style Chinese - not sure if they still do. It was alright.

Found some places in BKK but nothing beats home

Mick Pattaya

Apparently Chow Soy on Chaiyapoon makes a decent enough English style Chinese food.

NCWave

so sorry....but what is "English style Chinese food"? any example?

and... let me say that (I'm Asian), actually Thai dish is very similar to regular Chinese food. Just not diversity as the real Chinese food

Edited by NCWave

Pheat
49 minutes ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Apparently Chow Soy on Chaiyapoon makes a decent enough English style Chinese food.

I tried the Chinese chicken curry from Chow Soy about 3 weeks ago it was absolutely dire.

BlooBell
1 hour ago, pertho said:

Hey All,

Just wondering where you think is the best english style Chinese take away in pattaya?  Its Something I really missing from home.

Thanks 

Just be honest. You want chips and curry sauce, don’t you? :D

rog555
1 hour ago, NCWave said:

and... let me say that (I'm Asian), actually Thai dish is very similar to regular Chinese food. Just not diversity as the real Chinese food

I think OP means dishes such as:

Sweet and sour pork

Chicken chow Mein

Chop suey

BBQ spare ribs

Fried rice.

Meat with no bones.  No unidentifiable bits of meat.

I know what the OP means, chinese food in Hong Kong and often in Pattaya just doesnt taste like the UK version. Is less appetizing and seems odd. Menu full of unexpected items that dont appeal.

Edited by rog555

davidge

There was a restaurant doing this but it closed, after changing location.

There’s someone on the Dark Side that delivers Ready Meals, including a range of ‘British-style Chinese’, but this is only useful if you have a Condo.

https://britishop.com/?v=103357e3e40a

It’s difficult to explain to a non-Brit what ‘British-style Chinese’ means! Basically, there are Chinese Takeaways all over the place and they generally have very similar menus. I guess it’s adapted from Cantonese food but aimed at the British market? 

ractdi

Unfortunately, since Wok n Rok closed there has been nobody else able to take up the mantle with the exception of Retox but that was a short lived venture. I am one of many who live in hope that someday, we will see another wok n rok appear

rioman

There a food stand right at entrance to LK Metro(off buakhow) that has pretty standard stuff and good enough value - think it about 100b/plate.  However, I thought Chow soy ok on times that been there and see there are some variance of opinion on that.  

Jo1992

Simple simons in jomtien has a English Chinese section. Yet to try it though. Other food has been nice

cmw
2 hours ago, Pheat said:

I tried the Chinese chicken curry from Chow Soy about 3 weeks ago it was absolutely dire.

I have had it about 50 times at least over the years. Once or twice it was inedible, normally it's decent and a few times has been excellent. Presumably when it was inedible the sauce etc must have been lying about for a while, and freshly cooked when it was good.

Pheat
4 minutes ago, cmw said:

I have had it about 50 times at least over the years. Once or twice it was inedible, normally it's decent and a few times has been excellent. Presumably when it was inedible the sauce etc must have been lying about for a while, and freshly cooked when it was good.

If you think the Chinese food from Chows is excellent you must have very low standards.

This restaurant would go out of business extremely quickly if trading in  the UK

Edited by Pheat

Pheat
1 hour ago, ractdi said:

Unfortunately, since Wok n Rok closed there has been nobody else able to take up the mantle with the exception of Retox but that was a short lived venture. I am one of many who live in hope that someday, we will see another wok n rok appear

Yep Wok n Roc was quality Chinese English food eat there many many times.

Chows in comparison is worse than an Iceland’s supermarket  microwaved 99p Chinese meal.

REAR_ENTRY

I always crave a decent "english Chinese" when I'm hungover. Looked around Pattaya for one and haven't found anything near the standards from chippys back home. 

If anyone knows of a place in Pattaya that does.. 

Singapore vermicelli 

Salt and pepper chicken 

Kung Po char sui

Beef green pepper Black bean sauce 

Chicken ginger spring onion 

Spicy Cantonese beef

That are anywhere near like the dishes from local chippys in England then id like to know too. 

Someone said there's one near the pier for Koh Larn? Never ended up going though. 

Pheat
12 minutes ago, REAR_ENTRY said:

I always crave a decent "english Chinese" when I'm hungover. Looked around Pattaya for one and haven't found anything near the standards from chippys back home. 

If anyone knows of a place in Pattaya that does.. 

Singapore vermicelli 

Salt and pepper chicken 

Kung Po char sui

Beef green pepper Black bean sauce 

Chicken ginger spring onion 

Spicy Cantonese beef

That are anywhere near like the dishes from local chippys in England then id like to know too. 

Someone said there's one near the pier for Koh Larn? Never ended up going though. 

Unfortunately since Rok/Wok shut up shop there is no where in Pattaya which is even up to 30% of this level of quality on the above dish’s 

Edited by Pheat

cmw
3 hours ago, Pheat said:

If you think the Chinese food from Chows is excellent you must have very low standards.

This restaurant would go out of business extremely quickly if trading in  the UK

That's not what I said. I said a few times out of over 50 times the chicken curry has been excellent. Most of the times it has been decent. I'm sure we all have our favourite places to go to eat, and I'm sure we have alsoi tried many other places and I would imagine the reason we are not regulars at those  places is that the food wasn't that great.

daytripperz
11 hours ago, Mick Pattaya said:

Can confirm. Their sweet n sour pork balls are something else!

talung66

leng kee

mmaaarrrkkk
17 hours ago, NCWave said:

If you are Asian and eat real Chinese often , you wont like English Chinese food. Its usually over the top to suit the falang taste ..... too sweet too peppery , too sour etc. One of the few times (just look at me!) in my life I threw away food was in England while trying a Chinese takeaway.

What many will never understand is the simplicity of a fresh fish plainly steamed with a dash of soy sauce and a garnish of spring onion on top.

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk

Rocketboy

I want crispy aromatic duck like I used to get in Manchester!! :Clap8:

Pheat
13 hours ago, talung66 said:

leng kee

Does not sell English style Chinese food.

Gnorman
23 hours ago, Pheat said:

Yep Wok n Roc was quality Chinese English food eat there many many times.

Chows in comparison is worse than an Iceland’s supermarket  microwaved 99p Chinese meal.

Yeah I totally agree about Wok n Rock. I really liked the original China Garden and then Wok n Rock, haven't had anything nearly close to either since they shut.

semi-retired member
On 09/11/2019 at 21:46, rioman said:

There a food stand right at entrance to LK Metro(off buakhow) that has pretty standard stuff and good enough value - think it about 100b/plate.  However, I thought Chow soy ok on times that been there and see there are some variance of opinion on that.  

B120 for their fresh-cooked-to-order Chicken Chow-Mein, last week, take-away or eat off a plate at their tables.

Good but not great, IMO.  But would order it again.