IGNORED

Golf Trip in Pattaya Mini Trip Report (9 Days/ 4 Rounds)

Vic D

Hello all, Just want to write my golf experience in Pattaya that I had this year. I was in Pattaya from 12-20 Oct. 9 days total and I played golf on 4 days. Little background on myself. I am an American living and working as a contractor in South Korea. 49 years old, 12 handicap, left handed golfer. I have been coming to Thailand with a great group of friends every year for the past 6 years to play golf and enjoy all that Pattaya has to offer. I keep a set of golf clubs in Thailand so I don't have to bring clubs with me every year. They are my last set and are a set of TaylorMade Rocketbladez irons (4-pw), Cleveland wedges (58' and 64'), TaylorMade R7 Driver and Ping 3 wood. I am currently playing Mizuno JP900 irons, Mizuno wedges (56' and 60') and Mizuno driver and 3 wood.

Monday 14 Oct.

Signed up to play with the Golf Club on LK Metro. Great group to play with. Had breakfast at the bar prior to heading to the course. Good meal and recommend them. Was playing with one of my buddies and it was our first time playing with the Golf Club. We played at Green Valley as the Golf Club plays there every Monday. Arrived at the course in good time. Was worried about the course conditions as we had had quite a bit of rain on Saturday and Sunday. Wasn't expecting much as I had to get used to my old clubs. Was impressed with the course condition. Was a little bit soft but the course never had that soggy feeling to it that you get when a lot of rain has fallen. Me and my buddy had our regular skins and greenies going on. We decided to play 20 bhat skins, birdies, sandies and 100 bhat greenies for par 3's. My buddy was the big winner as he got all 4 greenies and we mostly split on the skins. Was a great day for golf. Weather was good and I had a pretty good round and shot an 88, 4 shots over my handicap. Just couldn't get my tees shots in play but had a good day scrambling. The greens were playing a little slow for what I like and putting wasn't so good on this day. This would be a trend for me for most of the week.

Tuesday 15 Oct.

Most of my group of friends had arrived and this would be our first round together. We setup our tee times through John at the Whitehouse Condotel. We had 6 players total for this day and we would be playing Phoenix Golf Course (Mountain and Ocean). We had our skins, birdies, sandies and greenies game going. Arrived at the course in good time. Hit the driving range and practice putting. Weather was a little hotter than Monday so made the day tough. My troubles off the tee and putting was just terrible and I shot my worst round of the week. I ended up shooting 93 and didn't win anything on skins or greenies. The course was in great shape but the greens played surprisingly slow compared to prior years I had played here. Overall great day for golf and always fun with my friends.

Thursday 17 Oct.

For this day one of my friends had 2 of his buddies join us from Hua Hin. So we had John form the Whitehouse Condotel set us up for tee times at Khao Kheow Golf Course (A & C). Normal skins, birdies, sandies and greenies game going. Arrived at the course in decent time. Didn't hit the range so only got in some practice putting before teeing off. Weather was good and cooler than Tuesday. Was able to get my tee shot in play today but unfortunately my putting woes continued. I ended up shooting an 89 but was sure it could have been better with better putting. I think I won 1 greeny but just a couple of skins. The course was in fantastic shape  but the greens were incredibly fast which didn't help with my putting woes.

Friday 18 Oct.

On this day one of my friends couldn't make it so we had 7 in our group. On this day we all had decided to play in the Tahitian Queen (TQ) Masters Tournament. I have been trying to play in this tournament for several years now. Due to work commitments and not enough vacation days I have not been able to compete in it. This year everything lined up perfectly and I would play in it for the first time. My friends have played in it many times and they say it is a great time. We would be playing on Phoenix Golf Course (Mountain and Ocean). We had our normal betting game going on during the tournament. Arrived at the course in very good time. Was able to hit the range and get in a good warm up and practice putting session. Started off terrible with 2 double bogeys. I thought this would be a terrible day for me. I was able to get things going and had my best day of the week. my tee shot were great and putting was finally going good. I ended up shooting 83 (1 below my handicap). I ended up winning 10 skins and 2 greenies. Weather was great and the course was in great shape. After the round I turned in my scorecard and only hoped for the best. I had shot a decent round but didn't think it was good enough to win the tournament. When we arrived at TQ gogo later that evening for the tournament winner announcements I was shocked to find out that I had not only won my division but the coveted Green Jacket for Tournament winner as well. Couldn't have had a better time this week playing golf.

I had a great time golfing with my friends as always. Thailand is such a good time every year I come here. Special thanks to Jon Emerson and the rest of the staff for running such a great tournament by TQ.  Hope you all enjoyed this mini report.

My playing group

On course

My 2nd Division winner trophy.

Div winner

My Green Jacket

Winner-2

On 30/10/2019 at 10:37, Vic D said:

Hello all, Just want to write my golf experience in Pattaya that I had this year. I was in Pattaya from 12-20 Oct. 9 days total and I played golf on 4 days. Little background on myself. I am an American living and working as a contractor in South Korea. 49 years old, 12 handicap, left handed golfer. I have been coming to Thailand with a great group of friends every year for the past 6 years to play golf and enjoy all that Pattaya has to offer. I keep a set of golf clubs in Thailand so I don't have to bring clubs with me every year. They are my last set and are a set of TaylorMade Rocketbladez irons (4-pw), Cleveland wedges (58' and 64'), TaylorMade R7 Driver and Ping 3 wood. I am currently playing Mizuno JP900 irons, Mizuno wedges (56' and 60') and Mizuno driver and 3 wood.

Monday 14 Oct.

Signed up to play with the Golf Club on LK Metro. Great group to play with. Had breakfast at the bar prior to heading to the course. Good meal and recommend them. Was playing with one of my buddies and it was our first time playing with the Golf Club. We played at Green Valley as the Golf Club plays there every Monday. Arrived at the course in good time. Was worried about the course conditions as we had had quite a bit of rain on Saturday and Sunday. Wasn't expecting much as I had to get used to my old clubs. Was impressed with the course condition. Was a little bit soft but the course never had that soggy feeling to it that you get when a lot of rain has fallen. Me and my buddy had our regular skins and greenies going on. We decided to play 20 bhat skins, birdies, sandies and 100 bhat greenies for par 3's. My buddy was the big winner as he got all 4 greenies and we mostly split on the skins. Was a great day for golf. Weather was good and I had a pretty good round and shot an 88, 4 shots over my handicap. Just couldn't get my tees shots in play but had a good day scrambling. The greens were playing a little slow for what I like and putting wasn't so good on this day. This would be a trend for me for most of the week.

Tuesday 15 Oct.

Most of my group of friends had arrived and this would be our first round together. We setup our tee times through John at the Whitehouse Condotel. We had 6 players total for this day and we would be playing Phoenix Golf Course (Mountain and Ocean). We had our skins, birdies, sandies and greenies game going. Arrived at the course in good time. Hit the driving range and practice putting. Weather was a little hotter than Monday so made the day tough. My troubles off the tee and putting was just terrible and I shot my worst round of the week. I ended up shooting 93 and didn't win anything on skins or greenies. The course was in great shape but the greens played surprisingly slow compared to prior years I had played here. Overall great day for golf and always fun with my friends.

Thursday 17 Oct.

For this day one of my friends had 2 of his buddies join us from Hua Hin. So we had John form the Whitehouse Condotel set us up for tee times at Khao Kheow Golf Course (A & C). Normal skins, birdies, sandies and greenies game going. Arrived at the course in decent time. Didn't hit the range so only got in some practice putting before teeing off. Weather was good and cooler than Tuesday. Was able to get my tee shot in play today but unfortunately my putting woes continued. I ended up shooting an 89 but was sure it could have been better with better putting. I think I won 1 greeny but just a couple of skins. The course was in fantastic shape  but the greens were incredibly fast which didn't help with my putting woes.

Friday 18 Oct.

On this day one of my friends couldn't make it so we had 7 in our group. On this day we all had decided to play in the Tahitian Queen (TQ) Masters Tournament. I have been trying to play in this tournament for several years now. Due to work commitments and not enough vacation days I have not been able to compete in it. This year everything lined up perfectly and I would play in it for the first time. My friends have played in it many times and they say it is a great time. We would be playing on Phoenix Golf Course (Mountain and Ocean). We had our normal betting game going on during the tournament. Arrived at the course in very good time. Was able to hit the range and get in a good warm up and practice putting session. Started off terrible with 2 double bogeys. I thought this would be a terrible day for me. I was able to get things going and had my best day of the week. my tee shot were great and putting was finally going good. I ended up shooting 83 (1 below my handicap). I ended up winning 10 skins and 2 greenies. Weather was great and the course was in great shape. After the round I turned in my scorecard and only hoped for the best. I had shot a decent round but didn't think it was good enough to win the tournament. When we arrived at TQ gogo later that evening for the tournament winner announcements I was shocked to find out that I had not only won my division but the coveted Green Jacket for Tournament winner as well. Couldn't have had a better time this week playing golf.

I had a great time golfing with my friends as always. Thailand is such a good time every year I come here. Special thanks to Jon Emerson and the rest of the staff for running such a great tournament by TQ.  Hope you all enjoyed this mini report.

My playing group

On course

My 2nd Division winner trophy.

Div winner

My Green Jacket

Winner-2

Nice report. My 1st trip to Pattaya was in 2008 for 1 week of golf with 3 mates. It was going to be a "one off".....I have now done 20 trips.

I couldn't agree with you more, Thailand is just a great golfing destination.

I must say, we've never gone to the range to warm up. Just a couple of swings to loosen up , it's already warm.

I thought your report could have had a few comments about the lovely caddies. I know there's a couple of expats who hate paying for caddies but we love 'em. Most of them know the game, read the greens better than any of us and are a lot of fun.

I only wish I'd known about this forum when I started, I could have submitted a few golf reports.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

@Vic D Many thanks for your golfing trip report...a great read. Congrats on your win!

13 hours ago, farcanal said:

I thought your report could have had a few comments about the lovely caddies. I know there's a couple of expats who hate paying for caddies but we love 'em. Most of them know the game, read the greens better than any of us and are a lot of fun.

Something like this, perhaps?

http://www.panyagolf.com/en/pretty-caddies-2/

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Really good TR.  I honestly had no idea that a golf trip was even feasible in Thailand.  So much of Asia is lined with overly expensive green fees and a lack of quality courses.

Where do you keep your clubs when you are away OP?  Is there a home club for you or do you have a place that you own in Patts?

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/06/2020 at 20:14, The Goose said:

Really good TR.  I honestly had no idea that a golf trip was even feasible in Thailand.  So much of Asia is lined with overly expensive green fees and a lack of quality courses.

Where do you keep your clubs when you are away OP?  Is there a home club for you or do you have a place that you own in Patts?

Lots of the golf bars have lockers. I have previously stored my clubs at Thaigerline golf on soi choiapoon.

Golf club on LK and Travellers Rest on Soi Lengkee both have lockers at reasonable rent

A locker for rent is great.  Makes it much easier than lugging your sticks through airports and in transport constantly.

• 1 month later...
On 03/06/2020 at 16:14, The Goose said:

We arrange all of our golf and taxis to golf ourselves. Don't use any of the golf bars.

Bring our clubs from home and leave them in a store room at our hotel every night.

THE MAIN THING IS TO KEEP THE MAIN THING THE MAIN THING

• 11 months later...

Sounds like a full on week and a half mate. I too did 4 rounds in 9 days playing bangpra(shit), st Andrews, lamchebang and pattana. Had a great time but would play over longer time in future. I felt I didn't  see enough other stuff there as I would of liked. Drinking heaps of piss didn't really help either😂