IGNORED

When Will We See the Impossible Whopper in LOS?

Evil Penevil

it's easy: they're certainly not toxic because they're fda approved.
the idea that modern keto diet is healthy because humans always ate this is also wrong. your modern keto diet has more or less nothing to do with what humans ate 10'000 years ago. (and it's also not the case that their diet 10'000 years ago was healthy). 

for the record: i have 0 problems with keto. i have a problem with people thinking it's some kind of miracle diet. it's just a way that works for many people to control their appetite and lead to calories in < calories out, as @JamesFerris mentioned. if it works for you to lose weight and feel healthy, great. 

but up2you (or up2hioctane). 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

I'm in the U.S. now and I have tried the Impossible Whopper.  I wasn't impressed. I don't think the plant-based burger tasted like a beef burger. Without the toppings, the Impossible Burger  didn't have any taste at all aside from The Grill char marks.  The regular beef Whopper tasted like it always does- not great, but definitely an acceptable beef burger.

I had taken advantage of a Burger King special promotion called a Tasting Bundle.  You got an Impossible Whopper and a regular beef Whopper with cheese for $7.00, including free home delivery through DoorDash. That's a really low price for two burgers, not to mention free delivery.  It must be an attempt to win over new customers who normally wouldn't visit a BK outlet. The idea was to compare the burgers "side by side."

The burgers looked similar and both were heaped with lettuce, tomato and thick slices of raw onion, which I don't like at all.  The toppings were also slathered with mayonnaisse and ketchup.  Despite the similarities in appearance, I had no difficulty distinguishing between them even before I tasted them. The patty of the plant-based Whopper was a bit thinner and had a more even surface.  The char stripes were heavier as well.

I guess if you eat the Impossible Whopper with all the toppings and condiments, you might be able to convince yourself it's a regular Whopper. The "mouth feel" is approximately the same.  However, for me at least, Impossible Foods has a long way to go before it developes a plant-based patty with a convincing beef taste. 

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

This stuff is not good for you. This is "healthy" in the same way that margarine is a "better" alternative which everyone should know is not. Impossible Foods put a study out which led white mice to gain more weight and develop liver cancer which ended up with impossible Foods staying the study was not valid. It's fine to say that since humans are not mice. But you're fooling yourself if you believe this is a healthy viable option.

• Like 2

On 28/10/2019 at 11:31, Luv2Phuket said:

I wondered about the nutritional content.  Found this online:

Nutritionally, the two burgers are almost identical. The Impossible Whopper will save you about 30 calories and a gram of saturated fat. It’s got nine more grams of carbohydrates and one more gram of sugar. With 25 grams of protein, the Impossible Whopper has just three grams fewer than the original. Additionally, an Impossible Burger also doesn’t contain the same antibiotics or hormones as ground beef.

The funny part of this is ...

For a long time, fat has been condemned, so low fat and non-fat alternatives were offered. However these alternatives were always higher in sugar content to make up for the lack of taste when fat is removed. We've come to find out that some fat is good to have and that sugar to be an unhealthy cause of concern. 

The funny part of this is ...
For a long time, fat has been condemned, so low fat and non-fat alternatives were offered. However these alternatives were always higher in sugar content to make up for the lack of taste when fat is removed. We've come to find out that some fat is good to have and that sugar to be an unhealthy cause of concern. 

Totally correct! Now I eat fatty steak.. (ohh so juicy!), butter, fatty parts of pork, etc.. I am losing weight.. at my ideal body weight and I stopped needing to take meds. All my quarterly blood tests show I am within normal range vs when I was on a low fat, moderate carb diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 31/10/2019 at 05:04, Kickoff said:

This stuff is not good for you. This is "healthy" in the same way that margarine is a "better" alternative which everyone should know is not. Impossible Foods put a study out which led white mice to gain more weight and develop liver cancer which ended up with impossible Foods staying the study was not valid. It's fine to say that since humans are not mice. But you're fooling yourself if you believe this is a healthy viable option.

do you have link to this study?

7 hours ago, hioctane said:

Totally correct! Now I eat fatty steak.. (ohh so juicy!), butter, fatty parts of pork, etc.. I am losing weight.. at my ideal body weight and I stopped needing to take meds. All my quarterly blood tests show I am within normal range vs when I was on a low fat, moderate carb diet.

You sound like my brother in law, who was recently in hospital with gallstones due to all the fat he eats. He lost weight in hospital though ...he would’ve killed for a big mac lol

Eating lots of bad fats is ludicrous. At least the stuff in these veg burgers should be the healthier type.

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 13:00, Mognam said:

I'm sure burger king and maccas would have conducted the own studies and came to the decision that this would increase, or prevent the decrease, of their profit margins. 

so did coke when they came up with a new formula

Please remember to like and subscribe.

You sound like my brother in law, who was recently in hospital with gallstones due to all the fat he eats. He lost weight in hospital though ...he would’ve killed for a big mac lol
Eating lots of bad fats is ludicrous. At least the stuff in these veg burgers should be the healthier type.

Veggie burgers are not necessarily healthier. I still won’t eat it because it is full of fake chemicals. Fast food chains are adding these to their menus to try to keep customers from fleeing due to the health craze.

Gallstones are caused by high cholesterol. My cholesterol levels are perfectly fine. The high fat diet needs to done in combination with low to no carbs.

7 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Gallstones are caused by high cholesterol. My cholesterol levels are perfectly fine. The high fat diet needs to done in combination with low to no carbs.

His cholesterol levels were also perfectly fine. What was obvious (and still is) is that being 20 stone/127 kg is not. His skin turned yellow and he had some real nasty emergency op.

Nobody needs to do a high fat diet with or without, low to no carbs. You’ve been brainwashed cus you can’t give up bacon & eggs for brekky. Convenient excuse.

My diet for the last few decades is reasonably balanced, but i try for 50/50 low fat protein and sensible carbs, but not at the weekend. Now who has the beach body for the last 20 years, me or you? 

6 hours ago, mmaaarrrkkk said:

so did coke when they came up with a new formula

you're missing the point. it doesn't matter if they make are profit or not, the point is they are doing because they think they will.

2 hours ago, hioctane said:

I still won’t eat it because it is full of fake chemicals.

what fake chemicals exactly?

On 28/10/2019 at 14:30, mixedberrys said:

I can never understand why vegans would want to eat something that looks and tastes like meat. 

Most Vegans do not become Vegan because they don't like the taste.

Veggie burgers are not necessarily healthier. I still won’t eat it because it is full of fake chemicals. Fast food chains are adding these to their menus to try to keep customers from fleeing due to the health craze.

There are no chemicals in the impossible burger

Edited by Lhasa

43 minutes ago, Lhasa said:

There are no chemicals in the impossible burger

Seems almost,,,,,,,, ummmmm,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,,,,,, impossible,,,,,,,,,,,

Edited by sulu

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

These veg burgers must still need a lot of fat, or oil in this case, to make everything stick together. 

I cook 5% beef mince at home, which would never stick together, it crumbles which is good for a bolognese.

1 hour ago, taylor1975 said:

These veg burgers must still need a lot of fat, or oil in this case, to make everything stick together. 

I cook 5% beef mince at home, which would never stick together, it crumbles which is good for a bolognese.

have you tried adding an egg?  that's what I use to help my burgers stick together.   :)

On 31/10/2019 at 02:04, Kickoff said:

This stuff is not good for you. ...

Impossible Foods put a study out which led white mice to gain more weight and develop liver cancer which ended up with impossible Foods staying the study was not valid. It's fine to say that since humans are not mice. But you're fooling yourself if you believe this is a healthy viable option.

On 01/11/2019 at 06:29, Mognam said:

do you have link to this study?

I couldn't find a link to the study itself, but here's a link to an article about it:  Rat Feeding Study Suggests the Impossible Burger May Not Be Safe to Eat   Please note this link goes to the Web site of a group which is opposed to genetically modified foods, so the article is not exactly objective.

The controversy centers on an ingredient in the Impossible Burger called legume hemoglobin, aka soy leghemoglobin. It is a protein found in plants that carries heme, an iron-containing molecule.   Heme is much more abundant in meat than plants and is what gives beef its red color and what causes a steak or hamburger to "bleed" when you cut or bite into it.  According to Impossible Foods, it's heme that gives beef its characteristic flavor.

In the study in question, a small group of rats was fed high levels of soy leghemoglobin for 28 days. These levels were much higher than a human could be expected to consume on a daily basis. The study did NOT show that the rats gained more weight or developed liver cancer.  An analysis of the study by two scientists opposed to GM food pointed to a decrease in the rate of expected weight gain and blood changes that could be an indication of serious health issues.  

However, even these scientists didn't claim soy leghemoglobin CAUSED any health problems.  The FDA said "some incidental clinical observations"  about the study were "toxicologically not relevant.”

It's a very thorny subject, albeit an importatnt one.  The following links have more information.

Key ingredient in Impossible Burger gets FDA approval

FDA has no further questions over the safety of Impossible Foods' star ingredient

The magic ingredient in Silicon Valley's favorite 'bleeding' veggie burger is under fire

Are GMOs safe to eat?

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

5 hours ago, Mognam said:

you're missing the point. it doesn't matter if they make are profit or not, the point is they are doing because they think they will.

what fake chemicals exactly?

I must be ........ coz with your new statement I am now clueless to what you are saying!

Coke tried and tested the new formula and thought the world would buy more and they will make more money...... or you know something I don't ..... maybe they change to the new formula coz they were concern for the consumer's health?

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk

On 31/10/2019 at 09:03, hioctane said:

Well wouldn't say that's healthier long term as it's recommended to cook with coconut oil instead of butter. You'll have to supplement your fiber somehow if you've cutout carbs.

Shouldn't a debate over the health aspects of vegan burgers be discussed in the "Health Issues" section of this forum?

Anyhow:

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

6 hours ago, QuotaMan said:

Shouldn't a debate over the health aspects of vegan burgers be discussed in the "Health Issues" section of this forum?

I decided I would never take anything Joe Rogan said seriously after I watched one of his podcasts where he expressed doubts over some of the moon landing footage released by NASA.

• Thanks 1

Last week I ordered the meatless burger at Sizzler restaurant in Terminal 21, North Pattaya. The order came with French fries and their famous salad bar. They had a promotion which included a free pressed fruit and vegetable juice. Cost was I think 495b total. I thought the burger tasted much better than the black bean burgers and veggie burgers I have eaten in California. My gut feeling is it won’t be successful due to the high price but what do I know. 

Edited by Cheetos

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:35, QuotaMan said:

Anyhow:

we wont know much much till after we're gone or its too late , will we? Isnt every new discovery/invention/study hailed as the lastest and most definite? Only many years later for another invention/discovery/study to show us how bad it was?

Unless the "impossible" burgers begin to be manufactured IN Thailand... I suspect the import tax alone would make the burger unaffordable in Thailand...