IGNORED

About to book Hong Kong Airlines

fatjack1

I've been researching flights to BKK in January.  Leaving from the west coast in the USA.  My requirements are lie flat seat.  No one climbs over anyone else to piss.  Reasonable layover times.  And I need to arrive back in the US early enough to get an onward flight home.  So far the best deal I've found is Hong Kong Airlines.

Their BIZ class price on their webpage (I don't trust kayak or other 3rd parties) is $2400.  And the RT times are around 20 hours between LAX and BKK.  Just enough layover to be certain of connecting.

So I guess I'm asking - any reason NOT to book with them?  Connection is thru Hong Kong but I'm "assuming" any issues there won't be allowed to interfere with the airport.  Open to experience with them or via HK or ???

Heading to the bar to watch the Nationals play the Astros so I'll be back tomorrow or later tonight (possibly intoxicated).

Does your government issue travel advisories? The government here in Australia does so.

You may find that if you travel to a location against which the government has issued a warning, then your travel insurance might be invalid for that country. Even if only transiting??

Worth checking.

Sounds reasonable for biz class from west coast USA.

I’d jump on it and agree going through the website vs Kayak.  That should make things easier for changes if needed without going through third party,

Thanks.  Just checked and HK is level 2 out of 4.  Not really sure who if anyone is giving me travel insurance.  Don't know if I've ever had it.

10 minutes ago, fatjack1 said:

I've been researching flights to BKK in January.  Leaving from the west coast in the USA.  My requirements are lie flat seat.  No one climbs over anyone else to piss.  Reasonable layover times.  And I need to arrive back in the US early enough to get an onward flight home.  So far the best deal I've found is Hong Kong Airlines.

Their BIZ class price on their webpage (I don't trust kayak or other 3rd parties) is $2400.  And the RT times are around 20 hours between LAX and BKK.  Just enough layover to be certain of connecting.

So I guess I'm asking - any reason NOT to book with them?  Connection is thru Hong Kong but I'm "assuming" any issues there won't be allowed to interfere with the airport.  Open to experience with them or via HK or ???

Heading to the bar to watch the Nationals play the Astros so I'll be back tomorrow or later tonight (possibly intoxicated).

I flew them a month ago Bkk Sf Bkk and was very happy not a single issue. All flights were on time and no issues regarding transfer in Hong Kong will book them again for sure

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

Thanks Soi7.  I've transited there once before with I think Asiana and it wasn't a problem.  Their webpage shows a decent interior and seating in the front.  Heck, it is so much cheaper than other airlines.  Might have to pull the trigger tonight.

I don't think a straight transit at HK would be an issue despite what is happening outside.

image.png

1 hour ago, Jebb said:

I don't think a straight transit at HK would be an issue despite what is happening outside.

When it was really hairy the flight crews couldn't get in so that screwed everything up. But no safety issues. 

As for HK Airlines I'd worry more about them being broke which is about how they are right now.

Well now.  Thank you rick toronto.  I just did a quick check on financial stability and the articles I found are not encouraging that this airline will still exists in January-February.  I might have tossed $2400 down the drain.  Bummer too.  Great price.  Good schedule.  

Back to the drawing board.  (sigh)

Thanks again.  Rather back to the board and pay more than have my tickets worthless.

I got 7 days off next week. I'm on the east coast but I see cheap flights out of LAX on China Eastern. Layovers thru NKG and PVG I think.  I'm also wondering what the status of those protests are. I just hate short trips. I need at least 3 weeks now.

I am continuing the search.  I found directly through their web page with China Southern biz class travel LAX-Guangzho-BKK on 380s the long stretch with lay down seats and 1-2-1 seating.  Leaves LAX 10:20 at night and arrives BKK 10:40 AM.  Return leaves 3:45 afternoon and arrives 6:10 PM.  Not perfect arrival but I'll figure it out.

The 2.5 hour flight between GZH and BKK is on a shitty 737 but I can deal with that too.

$2732.  I hate Guangxhou but then last tine I had to stop there.  Maybe transit isn't too bad.

I want to leave from LAX this Saturday for a week trip. But reading the advisories changed my mind. I don't have the time to worry about getting there or back. Cathay Pacific shows 2 advisories for China. One states that the ticket counters are closed for sale. You must already have a ticket to fly when you reach the airport. Things may be worse than what is leaked out of there.

I don't think that would be an issue honestly  If I were leaving this weekend for only a week I'd maybe take the risk they are still in business and honor my ticket.  But heck, look at the China Southern thread.  There is no civil unrest there and they are financially solvent.  And new 380s to CAN.  It's what I will probably book in the next few days.

• Like 1

One states that the ticket counters are closed for sale. You must already have a ticket to fly when you reach the airport.

I am 95% sure this security measure was put into place to limit access to the airport and keep the protestors out.

My understanding is that only ticketed passengers are allowed access to HKG airport (along with employees with proper/appropriate identification).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

You have to overlook the fact that this airline almost bankrupt, but I have flown them the past 2 trips coming back from Bangkok to West Coast Cda.  I booked each flight very close to time of departure so felt that the bankruptcy risk was manageable.  I was very impressed with value and service both times.  First time took them Business and believe was $2000cdn one way.  2nd time chanced their premium economy as was smoking deal - flight oneway was $450cdn and added on seat selection, plus lounge accesses at BKK, HKG, and YVR for about another $300cdn.  I would have no issue recommending them.  

Hong Kong Airlines already has stopped their SFO flights and LAX will be dropped in February:

https://onemileatatime.com/hong-kong-airlines-ending-us-flights/

I assume their financial troubles were magnified by the current political situation in Hong Kong, which reportedly has hit their tourism industry hard.

Really glad now I ponied up for EVA.  Got a bit of a discount on their special via Seattle.  $3800 RT in the front.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

Looks like they're about tits up these days. 

400 more jobs cut.   ALL food, ALL beverages (except water), ALL pillows/blankets and ALL in flight entertainment has been eliminated.   Biz class passengers get a bottle of water.   Economy class get a cup of water.  

Absolutely recommend avoid booking.   

• Like 2