Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

SETV help

harrygrout

I've just been to get a single entry visa and got it issued but I've got to email them my flight details,first hotel booking and bank details. My trip is 5 months as usual so the return flight is no good as it has to be within 3 months. How do you guys stopping for longer than 3 months get round this ? Buy a cheap flight to anywhere or is a bus ticket enough ?

TIA

• Like 1

I always buy an outgoing ticket to a neighboring country that is leaving within 2 months that's very cheap. I often don't use it but it fulfills the immigration requirement. There are probably more economical ways to do it but that's worked for me.

• Like 2

I've had 3 trips since 2014 to Patts of 6 months.

Always got SETV (once I was allowed to get 2 at once). Always had the return flight for the end of the 6 month trip and not once had a(nother) ticket out of Thailand within 3 months.

Never questioned about it.

U.S. site says "4. Copy of flight confirmation/reservation

showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)."

Note it says nothing about WHEN the return flight has to be. Perhaps the Thais view payment for a tourist visa, as opposed to no payment for "visa exempt", should allow a tourist more flexibility ? LOL As in extend, get a new SETV after the extension, come back in and go home much later ? :Dunno:

Things change though but the requirements for a SETV on the USA site says nothing about a return ticket or a ticket for any onward travel.

For "visa exempt", yes, it does say you must have an onward ticket within 30 days - then again, I am assured here on P-A that a visa exempt CAN be extended, so who knows ?

They ARE getting a bit stricter lately though so you might want to check with the Thai Embassy in England. Don't email them though as I can't get an answer from the US Thai Embassy. LOL I'd either call or go there.

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

3 hours ago, harrygrout said:

I've just been to get a single entry visa and got it issued but I've got to email them my flight details,first hotel booking and bank details.

Email who?

11 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Email who?

Whoever he got the SETV from ? (Just a guess)

4 hours ago, ginseng said:

I always buy an outgoing ticket to a neighboring country that is leaving within 2 months that's very cheap. I often don't use it but it fulfills the immigration requirement. There are probably more economical ways to do it but that's worked for me.

A couple of times, when I have applied for a visa before turning up, I have done this - a super cheap ticket with Air Asia to Malaysia or Vietnam within a months time. An email from a guest house to say I am staying there from arrival date to super cheap ticket to Malaysia date and a letter from my bank, stamped and signed.

Super cheap ticket, no luggage one way gets binned, but got me my visa with no dramas or mucking about.

Yes a bus ticket is enough to prove you are leaving Thailand.

Be like a dog,

" if you cant eat it, play with it, or fuck it. Piss on it and walk away."

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I got my SETV processed at the LOs Angeles consulate the same day.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/10/2019 at 00:23, harrygrout said:

I've just been to get a single entry visa and got it issued but I've got to email them my flight details,first hotel booking and bank details. My trip is 5 months as usual so the return flight is no good as it has to be within 3 months. How do you guys stopping for longer than 3 months get round this ? Buy a cheap flight to anywhere or is a bus ticket enough ?

TIA

the ticket s only a requirement for visa on arrival though you might have to blag your way on plane buy showing visa + take a copy of TM7 and tell check in you plan to extend then say your over land to Cambodia.

Some have suggested onward ticket booking site that just is a booking and it will be cancelled in 2 days for a small fee or use Expedia and tick the fee cancellation box heaps of way around it.

TM7.pdf

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

To be clear, if you apply for an SETV, you are required to show proof of onward travel within 58 days of initial entrance into Thailand. 

Some people are lucky, and can get visas without the necessary documentation.

Forget this thread gents.

The OP's been back since he started it and hasn't commented once in 5 WEEKS.

[/thread]

On 26/10/2019 at 04:14, Taa_Saparot said:

Email who?

Hull consulate.. they said if I didn't I would struggle to get a setv Next time I apply

58 minutes ago, harrygrout said:

Hull consulate.. they said if I didn't I would struggle to get a setv Next time I apply

Wont make any difference if the rumour is correct that all Consulates are closing.

• Confused 1

I just arrived in Thailand on a SETV. During my trip at various ticket counters, including when I was changing plans, I was asked for proof of onward travel. I showed a print out of my cheap ticket and they were satisfied. I have been asked at the point of departure before, but this was the first time I was asked while in Transit. I will add there was a flight delay and a change of flight so that likely is why.

33 minutes ago, ginseng said:

I just arrived in Thailand on a SETV. During my trip at various ticket counters, including when I was changing plans, I was asked for proof of onward travel. I showed a print out of my cheap ticket and they were satisfied. I have been asked at the point of departure before, but this was the first time I was asked while in Transit. I will add there was a flight delay and a change of flight so that likely is why.

Who asked you for proof of onward travel?

11 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Hull consulate

• Like 1

On 02/12/2019 at 05:54, Taa_Saparot said:

We were asked by the original ticketing agent who was with Jet Blue at JFK. We were asked again by a China Airlines ticketing agent in Taipei after we were rerouted.

• 1 month later...

I came to Thailand on a SETV, and then made a minor error.

I stayed initially for just under 60 days, left the country, with intent on coming back just before the expiration of the visa, so I could get another 30 days. So, I took a cruise from Singapore, with one stop being Phuket. Since I got off the boat without my passport, I forgot about my Visa requirements, and there was no immigration at Phuket. When my passport was returned at the end of the cruise, I discovered that my SETV was marked 'used', so upon return to BKK, it was up to the Immigration officer if I could enter, and for how long. Fortunately, I got the 30 days anyway.

Which begs the question of why the SETV is considered a 90 day visa, when the bearer stays for only 60 days before leaving.

13 hours ago, Explorer8939 said:

I stayed initially for just under 60 days, left the country, with intent on coming back just before the expiration of the visa, so I could get another 30 days. So, I took a cruise from Singapore, with one stop being Phuket. Since I got off the boat without my passport, I forgot about my Visa requirements, and there was no immigration at Phuket. When my passport was returned at the end of the cruise, I discovered that my SETV was marked 'used', so upon return to BKK, it was up to the Immigration officer if I could enter, and for how long. Fortunately, I got the 30 days anyway.

Which begs the question of why the SETV is considered a 90 day visa, when the bearer stays for only 60 days before leaving.

Most people just use them as a Single Entry, however there is the option to extend (at immigration for 30 days) or buy a re-entry stamp and come in on it again for 60 days, then extend another 30 at immigration. So, one could get 149 days out of a 90 day visa.

If it floats, flies or fucks, RENT IT!!!!! "He who hesitates, masturbates"

13 hours ago, Explorer8939 said:

SETV has to be used (enter by date) within 90 days of issue.  It only allows a visit up to 60 days and expires when you leave Thailand unless you purchase a re-entry permit. As the name implies it is for single entry. It would have been marked 'used'  when you first entered Thailand. I do not understand why you thought it would allow a further 30 days.

You fly a USA flag so would be entitled to a 30 day visa exempt entry.

It's not rocket science  :Laugh1:

32 minutes ago, freedom42 said:

Most people just use them as a Single Entry, however there is the option to extend (at immigration for 30 days) or buy a re-entry stamp and come in on it again for 60 days, then extend another 30 at immigration. So, one could get 149 days out of a 90 day visa.

No. A re-entry permit does not add more time to the original visa (or its extension if you extended it before leaving). It does allow you to leave and re-enter Thailand and use the remaining days of the existing visa or extension. 

• Like 2