QuotaMan

Age difference in relationships

QuotaMan

Anyone out there have experience with being in a relationship with very big age differences? I'm talking greater than 15, 20 years.

I assume it would be more frequent in Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia because of older foreigners.

Lately I've been chatting with ladies online that are significantly younger than I am. It's not like I specifically chose a certain narrow young age range I prefer in my profile, and I am passive in letting the ladies initiate contact with me. So we have these young ladies contacting me. Ideally I'd prefer someone closer to my age but no lady I met in that age range clicked with me looks or personality wise.

I do realize many people around the world still have a very negative opinion on significant age differences in relationships. I've even seen it on this forum where younger guys have expressed their disdain at seeing very old guys with much younger women. Some of their opinions are valid.

I seriously wonder which would cause me to lose 'friends' more back home, if I came out as gay in a relationship, or if I introduced my girlfriend/wife who is 20+ years younger than me.

Should we even care about age gap relationships in 2019?

Dalef65

The way the western world is going ( or has already gone) you would be looked down upon more for having a younger woman on your arm than you would for being gay (or even transgender.)

bungee
45 minutes ago, QuotaMan said:

I do realize many people around the world still have a very negative opinion on significant age differences in relationships. I

Is it age difference or wealth difference? Is it some people don't like the idea of a usually younger poorer person hooking up with a more wealthy older person?

Mr_wimpy
52 minutes ago, QuotaMan said:

Lately I've been chatting with ladies online that are significantly younger than I am. It's not like I specifically chose a certain narrow young age range I prefer in my profile, and I am passive in letting the ladies initiate contact with me. So we have these young ladies contacting me. Ideally I'd prefer someone closer to my age but no lady I met in that age range clicked with me looks or personality wise.

Which site?

Noticed you always ask a question and never bother to answer after the OP?

dean2926

I'm now 75 and have a handful of good thai ladies between 30 and 48 years old who I've known for many years.

As my physical life and future sex life is getting shorter I personally couldn't give a stuff what other people think and this especially applies to my family and friends back in Australia.

I'm thankful every day for still being so healthy and active and I certainly have no intention of stopping until mother nature taps me on the shoulder and tells me "that's enough". 

iddqd

You rock dude! Love your attitude! I hope I can do the same when im old, just do what i want and just dont give a fuck what people think! I would not care a second if im 70+ and have a 30 yesrs younger lady to entertain me :D

GoodMan555

Chatting is one thing ... I wouldn't give it a thought

Playing p4p is one thing ... I wouldn't give it a thought

Dating is one thing ... I wouldn't give it a thought

Getting committed and financially entangled and thinking about marriage is something else and I would give it a whole lot of thought and vet the living hell           out of her and everyone around her...

cumflywme69
2 hours ago, QuotaMan said:

Anyone out there have experience with being in a relationship with very big age differences? I'm talking greater than 15, 20 years.

I assume it would be more frequent in Thailand and other parts of Southeast Asia because of older foreigners.

I do realize many people around the world still have a very negative opinion on significant age differences in relationships. I've even seen it on this forum where younger guys have expressed their disdain at seeing very old guys with much younger women. Some of their opinions are valid.

I seriously wonder which would cause me to lose 'friends' more back home, if I came out as gay in a relationship, or if I introduced my girlfriend/wife who is 20+ years younger than me.

I would not worry about what people say about an age difference. I would not tell your family the true age if you are really worried about it. It is so hard to tell the age on most Asian women. 

While 20+ years is not usually an optimal difference in a relationship, you might be at the point in your life where you just want someone to take care of you and hopefully not worried so much about any social stigma.

momo5
50 minutes ago, GoodMan555 said:

Chatting is one thing ... I wouldn't give it a thought

Playing p4p is one thing ... I wouldn't give it a thought

Dating is one thing ... I wouldn't give it a thought

Getting committed and financially entangled and thinking about marriage is something else and I would give it a whole lot of thought and vet the living hell           out of her and everyone around her...

There’s a lot of truth in this. 

It’s maturity level that counts; though often times maturity comes with age.  I’m bored with most 20yo after an hour or two.

I find the girls in their 30s to be the sweet spot for me.  That puts them about 20 years younger than me.  So what.  If she and I don’t have a problem with it, if she gets along with my kids then that’s all that matters to me. 

JINROP

FYI as far as "socially acceptable" goes, theres a rule/formula floating around out there many subscribe to

Half your age + 7 

I say screw it and dont care very much, but Ive heard that as the magic formula quite a few times.

geezerrb
2 hours ago, Mr_wimpy said:

Which site?

Noticed you always ask a question and never bother to answer after the OP?

Maybe a "generator" keeping the forum alive?

Daz Manc

Yes, the formula for the perfect female companion is HALF YOUR AGE + 7 YEARS

bigmac9899

I'm 60 and she is 35.  Met 2 years ago, decided to bring her to the states and get married.  I can honestly say I dont even think about the age difference.  Family and friends not only have accepted her, but are glad she is here.  I'm quite lucky.  But boy does she do a good job of keeping me young and happy.

Cerberus
3 hours ago, QuotaMan said:

12 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

Maybe a "generator" keeping the forum alive?

In my humble opinion an unlikely post from Qoutaman so one has to consider geeserrb comment.  I have found that posts on age difference are usually started by younger guys and are generally negative in nature. Therefore, those in relationships with a large age gap rarely respond to posts like this one, often due to that negativity and the lack of experience generally demonstrated by those denouncing/criticizing such relationships.

I have never throughout my life followed the accepted norm and prior to becoming a statistic never gave age and relationships the slightest consideration. I then became one without it being of question to me. That changed after the fact due to the behavior of others, which for the sake of my lass I had to then revue. Once I did so, I found that many people viewed and even commented on our age difference with varying degrees of rudeness or ignorance either openly or behind our backs. Initially my lady did not understand their reasoning, the result of which was often anger and aggression on her part.

This was resolved somewhat, following my showing her an alternative way in which to react to such incidences. So time passed and although the age difference remained the same, unfortunately, our reaction to others judgement changed and it became my lady’s turn to advise me as regards aggression.

Now some 17 years later we have found ourselves in a similar response, which is generally one initially of humour. So yes people always look for a negative reason as to why a couple should have larger than average age gap, failing or refusing to accept that the relationship might be based on genuine feelings, perhaps because they themselves have yet to reach a level of maturity which allows them to cease making judgements on others.

mr21
1 hour ago, JINROP said:

FYI as far as "socially acceptable" goes, theres a rule/formula floating around out there many subscribe to

Half your age + 7 

I say screw it and dont care very much, but Ive heard that as the magic formula quite a few times.

I just reached the milestone where I can use the formula "half your age - 7" and it's completely legal :GrinNod1: 

32 minutes ago, Daz Manc said:

Yes, the formula for the perfect female companion is HALF YOUR AGE + 7 YEARS

chris2004

My tgf is 33 years younger than me. Never been a problem for me or her. Might be if i ever took her back to the UK but then i don't give a stuff what anyone thinks.

udontony

My Thai wife is over 22 years younger than me and we have been together for the last 13+ years.  She came and lived in UK for quite a while and yes, there were some funny looks but we never were bothered by any one really.   I am sure more was said behind my back than I ever knew!.   The agent and the embassy when we got her visa for UK both said that this age difference was  absolutely normal, I had worried what the embassy might think.

Thinking about the many expats around here that are married to Thai ladies it does seem that over 20 years age difference is normal but I do know one Thai lady with husband just a bit younger than her.   That is probably the exception that proves the rule! 

geezerrb
28 minutes ago, mr21 said:

I just reached the milestone where I can use the formula "half your age - 7" and it's completely legal :GrinNod1: 

I have reached the age where half my age -7 gives me a girl in her late twenties and over the last few trips that has suited me although I am more frequently now drawn to the "thirties" I am "picky" but women so far in the majority have not disappointed.

On the other side of the coin, when I was 19 my boss' got a new Secretary late twenties who did not drive and lived in a village a few miles away, her husband dropped her off each day but needed a lift home, I was paid overtime and fuel to take her home.

Well you can guess the rest but at the time my friends could not understand why I got involved.

GoodMan555
14 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

I have reached the age where half my age -7 gives me a girl in her late twenties and over the last few trips that has suited me although I am more frequently now drawn to the "thirties" I am "picky" but women so far in the majority have not disappointed.

On the other side of the coin, when I was 19 my boss' got a new Secretary late twenties who did not drive and lived in a village a few miles away, her husband dropped her off each day but needed a lift home, I was paid overtime and fuel to take her home.

Well you can guess the rest but at the time my friends could not understand why I got involved.

Haha, I perfectly understand you.  As a teen I was in love with my teacher.  As a middle aged man I was in love with my student.  The way we evolve, huh?

Captain Dave
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, QuotaMan said:

My Thai wife is 27 years younger than I am.

I have to say this has never been a problem and we are happily devoted to each other ten years after we met.

I've not encountered any negative vibes from family or friends back in the UK - she gets on great with my 3 kids - though several friends seem a Touch jealous.

Incidentally, this sort of thing was quite common in the UK until a few decades ago, my widowed father remarried a woman 20 years younger

in 1960 and this wasn't considered anything abnormal at the time.

It is only fairly recently that society seems to think it isn't the done thing - heaven knows why?

Edited by Captain Dave

Captain Dave
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, momo5 said:

There’s a lot of truth in this. 

It’s maturity level that counts; though often times maturity comes with age.  I’m bored with most 20yo after an hour or two.

I find the girls in their 30s to be the sweet spot for me.  That puts them about 20 years younger than me.  So what.  If she and I don’t have a problem with it, if she gets along with my kids then that’s all that matters to me. 

A lot of truth in this too, there is a heck of a difference between a 20 yr old and one in their late 20's.

The same is true of us all, if we think back honestly.

Edited by Captain Dave

geezerrb
15 minutes ago, Captain Dave said:

My Thai wife is 27 years younger than I am.

I have to say this has never been a problem and we are happily devoted to each other ten years after we met.

I've not encountered any negative vibes from family or friends back in the UK - she gets on great with my 3 kids - though several friends seem a Touch jealous.

Incidentally, this sort of thing was quite common in the UK until a few decades ago, my widowed father remarried a woman 20 years younger

in 1960 and this wasn't considered anything abnormal at the time.

It is only fairly recently that society seems to think it isn't the done thing - heaven knows why?

Very broad "personal" statement, recently I believe "some society" has accepted particulrly in media, men and women marrying much younger partners, I believe in the lesser classes in 1960 a man marrying a woman 20 years younger would have been exceptional but hey you have come out of it well.

petermik

23 years...but this will change shortly as I,m negotiating terms for a newer model to take over......:WhoSaw1:

p.s. anyone who knows Lek say nowt as she will bloody kill me if she finds out  :GrinNod1:

ex-pat

If you (generic 'you') are concerned what other people think to the point of being embarrassed or worried about losing friends, respect, etc. then stick to your own age bracket. Personally I routinely go with women 1/3 my age (and they are past what is legal), and closing in on 1/4, and don't really give a shite what others think, whether it's disdain, disgust, or jealously or whatever. It didn't bother me in Canada either when I brought back my wife who was 32 years younger than me. I've got enough things to keep me occupied in my own life, and my loved ones lives, without worrying about strangers or even friends.

Occasionally I come across a 30 year old with a 20 year old body - got one right now. All other things being equal, that is my preference but there is not a lot of those around.

Fistful
13 hours ago, bungee said:

Is it age difference or wealth difference? Is it some people don't like the idea of a usually younger poorer person hooking up with a more wealthy older person?

Tiesto (50 yo.) just married a 21 yo., there's wealth then there's Wealth.