IGNORED

HPV vaccinations

Yabusaki

Greetings, 

I want to take my favorite gogo dancers from Hindi Street to a clinic that provides HPV vaccinations ! Could you recommend a public health clinic or not too expensive clinic in Pattaya that has immunization program? As you know, HPV viruses are leading cause of cervical cancer in women! (approximately 5 to 10 dancers)

Thanks.

Edited by Yabusaki
Spell check
  • Like 2

Hang Loose, mongoose!

Good question, it's 3 shots costing circ 2,500 baht each. I'm going to Bangkok to get mine but for Pattaya any hospital. I would check out the Bang Lamung Clinic on Pattaya Tai, close to 3rd road, see if they have it, it would be cheaper there

About 8 years ago, I had a regular, massage girl at my then favourite MP in Jomtien. 
I found out she barebacked at some stage, and took her to Patt International for a check up, plus a stern talk by the woman doc there about the dangers of BB (with graphic pictures and all). The doc suggested the HPV vaccine, and she did a course of three shots.

She went back home about four months later,  got a nice farang who built her a house and looks after her. I occasionally get updates from the mamasan...
I think it is worth doing, but only seems to be worthwhile for younger girls, the older ones often have the bug already... 
Look at the research for the age issue.

Which vaccine is it?  There are several.  Unless you identify the specific vaccine, you can't have a reasonable discussion.

I have been told by my doctor, this vaccine is only good if you have NOT been exposed to the virus.  Basically if you are sexually active, you have been exposed to the virus, this is why it is recommended for teenagers both boys and girls.  If you are on this board it's really too late for HPV vaccines to be effective for us.

• Like 2

I have been told by my doctor, this vaccine is only good if you have NOT been exposed to the virus.  Basically if you are sexually active, you have been exposed to the virus, this is why it is recommended for teenagers both boys and girls.  If you are on this board it's really too late for HPV vaccines to be effective for us.

There are many strains, you may well have been exposed to some already but you will get protection from the others in the vaccine
  • Like 2

Which vaccine is it?  There are several.  Unless you identify the specific vaccine, you can't have a reasonable discussion.
Gardasil 4 seems standard although you may be able to get another

Greetings, 
I want to take my favorite gogo dancers from Hindi Street to a clinic that provides HPV vaccinations ! Could you recommend a public health clinic or not too expensive clinic in Pattaya that has immunization program? As you know, HPV viruses are leading cause of cervical cancer in women! (approximately 5 to 10 dancers)
Thanks.
It's a good idea them getting HPV vaccine for sure but i think a daily dose of PrEP would be better for them. Difficult to get them to do it though

7 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:
3 hours ago, LarryDarrell said:

Gardasil 4 seems standard although you may be able to get another

Strange that Thailand still hasn't approved Gardasil 9.

• Like 2

Greetings, 

Thanks for all your insightful information!  Afterwards, I'm still debating if I should take them for their HPV vaccinations!

Hang Loose, mongoose!

Greetings, 
Thanks for all your insightful information!  Afterwards, I'm still debating if I should take them for their HPV vaccinations!
It's a very admirable thing to do but it will be difficult. Follow up injections needed after 2 months and 6 months, will they be around and you in contact with them to ensure they do it? If not then no point. Unless you can convince them it's a good idea they just won't bother and even then might just not bother anyway.

My experience is thai girls are rubbish at taking medication, they stop taking it quickly
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Roadglide said:

This opinion is indeed held by a lot of doctors,  but if you consider it logically, it is clearly nonsense.   It is OF COURSE possible to be sexually active and not exposed to the virus.  Obviously if none of your sexual partners had the virus,  you can't have caught it from them.  Since young women have been vaccinated in Western countries for many years there could be any number of sexually active members on the board who do not have HPV.

I had this argument with my own doctor a few years back.  He gave me the standard line at first,  but when I put it to him logically,  he agreed that I was right and prescribed the vaccinations for me.

That original bit of statistical analysis served as the excuse for the denial of government vaccine subsidies to everyone except young girls at the beginning of the vaccination program.  When applied to the whole population,  it made sense as a money saving idea for politicians.  That is all it is good for.

If you don't have HPV,  the vaccine will work for you at any age.  If you do have it,  the vaccine does no harm.  In fact the latest vaccines protect against (I think) 9 different viruses.  What are the odds that you don't already have all nine of them?  I would think pretty good. 

The vaccine is still recommended for people who are positive for one or more types of HPV,  as it will immunize them against the other strains that they might be exposed to later.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

• 2 weeks later...

I was reading a bit about the topic and it seems the vaccination can be beneficial for men as well. Besides that it can protect against genital warts, it can also protect from various cancer types (oral, throat, anal, penile). And I am more afraid of a cancer than the genital warts, as many of my family members had cancer and I've seen what it can do. :sad:

For anyone interested here is an article about HPV and oral cancer,  and men are actually more at risk for oral cancer than women. Michael Douglas is one of the people who got oral cancer from HPV by oral sex.

Just a few facts taken from the article linked above:

• HPV is the leading cause of oropharyngeal cancers; primarily the tonsils, tonsillar crypt, the base of the tongue (the very back of the mouth and part of what in lay terms might be called a part of the throat), and a very small number of front of the mouth, oral cavity cancers. HPV16 is the version most responsible, and affects both males and females.
  • White, non-smoking males age 35 to 55 are most at risk, 4 to 1 over females.
  • In the oral/oropharyngeal environment, HPV16 manifests itself primarily in the posterior regions (the oropharynx) such as the base of the tongue, the back of the throat, the tonsils, the tonsillar crypts, and tonsillar pillars.

I would be curious if any one of you have been vaccinated against HPV as I am seriously thinking about it. It seems that Gardasil 4 should be sufficient for men, as it can protect against strains causing both oral cancer and genital warts. Anyone has any experience with Gardasil 4 vaccination at Pattaya? 

I would be curious if any one of you have been vaccinated against HPV as I am seriously thinking about it. It seems that Gardasil 4 should be sufficient for men, as it can protect against strains causing both oral cancer and genital warts. Anyone has any experience with Gardasil 4 vaccination at Pattaya? 

I've just kicked off the vaccinations, I'm 49. They use Gardasil 4 which includes HP16. I read loads of stuff on it and i think it's a good idea. Bare in mind most advice online won't take account of the risk of people that have sex with sex workers

I get mine in Bangkok, 2,300 each vaccination of 3. In Pattaya, clinics don't have it but the hospitals will

2 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

I've just kicked off the vaccinations, I'm 49. They use Gardasil 4 which includes HP16. I read loads of stuff on it and i think it's a good idea. Bare in mind most advice online won't take account of the risk of people that have sex with sex workers

I get mine in Bangkok, 2,300 each vaccination of 3. In Pattaya, clinics don't have it but the hospitals will

Mind sharing exactly where you got it in BKK? I am interested in getting this too.

Greetings,

The best/cheapest clinic to be vaccinated in Bangkok is the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute! You can get all sort of vaccinations at a very reasonable cost!  The clinic is located just front of Snake Farm in Bangkok. Just don't go there on Mondays because the line could be very long!

Hang Loose, mongoose!

Greetings,
The best/cheapest clinic to be vaccinated in Bangkok is the Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute! You can get all sort of vaccinations at a very reasonable cost!  The clinic is located just front of Snake Farm in Bangkok. Just don't go there on Mondays because the line could be very long!
How much is it? Bangkok Red Cross is 2,300

Mind sharing exactly where you got it in BKK? I am interested in getting this too.
I go to the Bangkok Red Cross, it's only worth going there if going to Bangkok anyway, otherwise you might as well get in Pattaya for a bit extra. If you want to save money try Bang Lamung Hospital near Naklua

The Thai Red Cross AIDS Research Centre
104 Rajdumri Road Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10330 Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10330
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uTvD1niXDEwoJqc8A
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

I go to the Bangkok Red Cross, it's only worth going there if going to Bangkok anyway, otherwise you might as well get in Pattaya for a bit extra. If you want to save money try Bang Lamung Hospital near Naklua

The Thai Red Cross AIDS Research Centre
104 Rajdumri Road Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10330 Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10330
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uTvD1niXDEwoJqc8A

Greetings, 

I also go to Bangkok Red Cross for complete blood testing, testosterone level and HIV test at a reasonable cost! You just have to exit at Silom MRT Station and catch a motocy to go to both clinics! 

Hang Loose, mongoose!

I would ask an OB/GYN if they have any idea when Gardasil 9 will be approved in Thailand.  It might be soon?

I have received the full series with Gardasil 9. 

I would ask an OB/GYN if they have any idea when Gardasil 9 will be approved in Thailand.  It might be soon?
I did read the other day that Gardasil 9 covers more strains that effect women. Gardasil 4 covers the main strains that effect men. By the time we've waited for Gardasil 9 to come out we may have got the HPV strains

2 hours ago, LarryDarrell said:

As Scuba already mentioned, Gardasil 9 is more beneficial for the women as it should protect against additional strains causing cervical cancer. Actually from what I've read the scientist don't even know if those additional strains are causing cancer, they just know that they were found together with those other strains which are known to cause cancer.

3 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

How much is it? Bangkok Red Cross is 2,300

Is it complete price including everything or is there some additional clinic/doctor/vaccination fee? When you go to the clinic do you need any appointment in advance or you just show up and tell them what you want? Didn't they give you any strange looks as you were over the recommended age for vaccination?

Is it complete price including everything or is there some additional clinic/doctor/vaccination fee? When you go to the clinic do you need any appointment in advance or you just show up and tell them what you want? Didn't they give you any strange looks as you were over the recommended age for vaccination?

I go there to get PrEP, they are not judgemental at all, you just show up no appointment necessary, you say what you want, you get a ticket, and wait for your number to come up. Eventually you see a doctor\nurse who checks what you want (she thought i wanted Hep AB, she said sorry...), HPV, you then go and pay for it and go back to the doctor to inject. Total 2,300, includes everything. Follow up injections after 2 months and 6 months. Careful she wants to do follow up injection after 1 month, usually its 1-2, I've decided on 2

Dark Red,

If the doctor give you a strange look, just tell him that recently you had an exchange of sexual fluid! 

Hang Loose, mongoose!

Thank you Scuba for the detailed answer. Seems easy enough. I might try to do it in Pattaya.

11 minutes ago, Yabusaki said:

Dark Red,

If the doctor give you a strange look, just tell him that recently you had an exchange of sexual fluid! 

In case of HPV vaccinations it wouldn't be wise, because if you have been already in the contact with the virus they say the vaccination will not work. For some other vaccinations it might be a good argument. But it seems that it is fine in Thailand, the approach is definitely different than in my home country. :)