IGNORED

Hungry Hippo

Hi guys.

Very quick shout out for the Hungry Hippo diner on soi Buakhao.

I have eaten ther every day for a week and everything has been excellent.

Breakfast specials run til 12.00 with small English with tea or coffee at 68bt which was plenty for me.

large I think was only 99bt.

They run a large selection of meals to suit everyone I'm sure. The Fish and chips were superb at 129bt

and tonight I had sweet and sour chicken and rice also delicious.

no kick back or affiliation to them at all but if someone try's hard they deserve recognition.

Sure you wouldn't be disappointed.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 0903 said:

They run a large selection of meals to suit everyone I'm sure. The Fish and chips were superb at 129bt

no kick back or affiliation to them at all but if someone try's hard they deserve recognition.

I was.  Under Three Hundred Baht ... And Mediocre.

Evil

• Haha 2

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Is there anyone here, who thought Chunky Monkey's food was bland, but has found Hungry Hippo to be better?

Edited by Taa_Saparot

I have eaten in both and like each of them. Not much between them both offer very similar food, just have a slight preference for Hungry Hippo.

From my experience, Hungry Hippo seems to he the busier of the two. One other difference, Chunky Monkey closes later than Hungry Hippo.

Thanks for posting 

I will try it out 

9 hours ago, 0903 said:

Hi guys.

Very quick shout out for the Hungry Hippo diner on soi Buakhao.

I have eaten ther every day for a week and everything has been excellent.

Breakfast specials run til 12.00 with small English with tea or coffee at 68bt which was plenty for me.

large I think was only 99bt.

Have you tried any other restaurants to compare to.?

Sure you wouldn't be disappointed. 555

Edited by Pheat
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Is there anyone here, who thought Chunky Monkey's food was bland, but has found Hungry Hippo to be better?

Yes me

• Like 1

i had beef stew today 139 baht, comes with mash and bread, i expected it to be bland but was very good quality for the price.

it's good that HH isn't just churning out cheap food but also trying their best to produce good food.

Chicken roast dinner also very good

I've eaten a few times there lately and all the meals have been excellent and good value, especially their breakfast 99 baht and mini mixed grill 119 baht.

The breakfast is excellent at 99 baht, the roast chicken not bad , as for the daily specials i would avoid mostly inedible slop. Eaten here about 7 times over the last 2 weeks, for me its only really a breakfast go to, or the sunday roast,  just as bad as the inedible specials was listening to the owner constantly whinging about everything that is life whilst he occupied a table with a friend, happened at  least 4 times and i was 4 tables away each time

just as bad as the inedible specials was listening to the owner constantly whinging about everything that is life whilst he occupied a table with a friend, happened at  least 4 times and i was 4 tables away each time

Was it as bad as the 80s music? i have to put earphones in. But to be fair I don't want to hear farang talking guff, which another reason i go upstairs

I only noticed the music once when I had the first table from the tv, after that I tried to sit up towards the glass doors and away from robin

I had the 99baht breakfast this week and it was just meh! Wouldn't go back, 1 sausage was decent, bacon was poor, eggs were kind of flat looking not much of a yolk, fried potato was cut too small and deep fried. The toast was nice and thick with tiny portion of butter and the coffee was quite good. I'd describe it as average retox was better imo.

Going to give nickys a try tomorrow heard its quite good.

Edited by limirl
  • Like 2

I had the chicken roast dinner today, not as good as the last 2 weeks, i hope their standards aren't slipping i.e different chef

1 hour ago, limirl said:

I had the 99baht breakfast this week and it was just meh! Wouldn't go back, 1 sausage was decent, bacon was poor, eggs were kind of flat looking not much of a yolk, fried potato was cut too small and deep fried. The toast was nice and thick with tiny portion of butter and the coffee was quite good. I'd describe it as average retox was better imo.

We will obviously have to differ. I have eaten the breakfast there multiple times since Retox lengkee shut and I think it is marginally better. Tomatoes have been much better......

2 hours ago, limirl said:

Nicky's is my go,to place   For an English breakfast much better quality than the HH offering but about 60B dearer But inc weetabix or corn flakes which is a nice touch and plenty of butter on the toast.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pheat said:

Nicky's is my go,to place   For an English breakfast much better quality than the HH offering but about 60B dearer But inc weetabix or corn flakes which is a nice Touch and plenty of butter on the toast.

That's funny I haven't eaten weetabix since I was about 12 years old.

1 hour ago, limirl said:

Why would you?

2 hours ago, limirl said:

My dad has 2 every day, with apricots and prunes. Turned 82 on friday :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

My dad has 2 every day, with apricots and prunes. Turned 82 on friday :)

I agree great although personally ,I go with banana +Weetabix!

20 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

Why would you?

Err...some people might like them!

• 7 months later...

Just came across this, which was posted on my FB newsfeed.

How many more restaurants will follow suit following the reopening ?

At those prices, it's a 'Buakhao Bonanza'

Mr magoo

IMG_20200522_143435.jpg

• Like 3

Also added streaky bacon sandwich to the  49 bt menu, including  free tea or coffee 

3 hours ago, striderman said:

i want the pouch eggs

Comes with complimentary kangaroo ,