IGNORED

Why bother with an unblocked phone?

Danolo

I looking at buying a phone (Thanks @soi7 ) but before I pull the trigger...

Why do you want an unlocked/unblocked phone?

I have good credit with Virgin and I'm pretty sure I can get a good phone for free, on a contract. What are the pros and cons of a contract phone?

What is it that makes sit worthwhile to spend a few hundred dollars on a phone?

Thanks

41 minutes ago, Nando9999 said:

Can be used on other networks, doesn’t come with bloatware from the provider.

I ,like the bloatware issue... 

As for using it on other networks, I'm not sure how that is an advantage?  Do tell?

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Danolo said:

I ,like the bloatware issue... 

As for using it on other networks, I'm not sure how that is an advantage?  Do tell?

Thanks

If you go to Thailand you can remove your SIM card and put in a thai SIM card and use the phone.

I buy my phones unlocked, (1) you can use them on another network, or outside your home country. Such as Thailand. (2) resale value is higher. 

In the USA, don't know about Canada, You can require your provider to unlock your phone if you are going overseas.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/technology/personaltech/unlock-phone-overseas-travel.html

Edited by Biennial
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nando9999 said:

If you go to Thailand you can remove your SIM card and put in a thai SIM card and use the phone.

In Australia if you are on a contract the phone is unlocked - therefore you can use it with a thai sim card.

They dont need to lock the phone as the contract locks you in

• Like 2

12 Pints in Know it all

The UK has sim-only packages. 2000 minutes, texts and data for £5 month. 

You need an unlocked phone of course. 

When I went I just went to a phone shop and had them unlock my phone, can't do it with most Sprint Phones but I have done it with the same phone from another provider like ATT, sprint just makes it so if you have there phone you can not use it with another network that uses sim cards. I think the new phones made in the last few years have built in SIM cards so go into a phone store and ask them if they can unlock your phone and they will help you. 

• Like 2

If you thought I was that advanced would you ask me if I understood?.” 

SN7tukw.gif

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm gonna pull the trigger.. my old Samsung Galaxy grand prime cell phone continues to burp, so its past time to upgrade.

But first I need to clarify.

I am looking at @Soi7 's suggestion to buy the Umidigi A5Pro.  

UMIDIGI A5 Pro
  • CPU: Helio P23 Octa Core 2.0GHz.
  • RAM+ROM: 4GB RAM + 32GB ROM.
  • Display: 6.3 inch 2280*1080P.
  • Battery: 4150mAh.
  • Camera: 16.0MP + 5.0MP + 5.0MP back, 8.0MP front.
  • Memory – RAM- 6GB LPDDR4, 1600MHz | ROM 64GB External Memory Support Up to 256GB (Uses SIM 2 Slot)

As noted RAM+ROM 4GB RAM + 32GB ROM.

Then I Looked at a typical Samsung phone available to me on Virgin for 0$.

Samsung Galaxy A10e

HARDWARE & PERFORMANCE

System chip: Samsung Exynos 7884

Processor: Octa-core, 1600 MHz, ARM Cortex-A73 and ARM Cortex-A53, 64-bit, 14 nm

GPU:Mali-G71 MP2

RAM:  2 GB

Internal storage: 32 GB

Available to use: 21.3 GB

Storage expansion: microSDXC up to 512 GB

So, it looks like the Umidigi has more built-in RAM than the Samsung.

Both are expandable with the second sim slot.

Am I understanding that right?

I'm gonna buy the Umidigi, I think. The lack of bloatware and the freedom of hooking with any provider is what moves me.

I'd be glad to hear your comments.

Edited by Danolo

I think if you research this the A10e will be a single Sim slot and a single SD slot

The UMIDIGI has two SIM slots BUT heres the rub the second slot is an either /or,  you EITHER have a SIM in it OR an SD card (not both) - so its two SIMs or one SIM and an SD card.

No worries if your a 'one SIM' guy, if you want two then the lack of SD may be limiting

Hiya @regyai  I thi nk you are incorrect.

Here's an image for the phone listing as shown on Amazon.

3 slots.jpg

However you make a good point for those who need the 2nd SIM.

I'm still not sure if getting the addition RAM takes up the 2nd SIM slot or the Micro SD card slot,

Edited by Danolo
  • Like 2

From your specs they are both 32GB internal memory

The Umidigi  can take SD only up to 256GB, whereas the Samsung can take a 512GB card

If you get true two SIMs plus SD card with your Virgin Samsung as per your photos then it has an edge over the Umidigi

BUT double check that's the model Virgin are punting as many Samsungs come in two variations - one SIM and Two SIM 

1 hour ago, Danolo said:

Ok, I'm gonna pull the trigger.. my old Samsung Galaxy grand prime cell phone continues to burp, so its past time to upgrade.

But first I need to clarify.

I am looking at @Soi7 's suggestion to buy the Umidigi A5Pro.  

UMIDIGI A5 Pro
  • CPU: Helio P23 Octa Core 2.0GHz.
  • RAM+ROM: 4GB RAM + 32GB ROM.
  • Display: 6.3 inch 2280*1080P.
  • Battery: 4150mAh.
  • Camera: 16.0MP + 5.0MP + 5.0MP back, 8.0MP front.
  • Memory – RAM- 6GB LPDDR4, 1600MHz | ROM 64GB External Memory Support Up to 256GB (Uses SIM 2 Slot)

As noted RAM+ROM 4GB RAM + 32GB ROM.

Then I Looked at a typical Samsung phone available to me on Virgin for 0$.

Samsung Galaxy A10e

HARDWARE & PERFORMANCE

System chip: Samsung Exynos 7884

Processor: Octa-core, 1600 MHz, ARM Cortex-A73 and ARM Cortex-A53, 64-bit, 14 nm

GPU:Mali-G71 MP2

RAM:  2 GB

Internal storage: 32 GB

Available to use: 21.3 GB

Storage expansion: microSDXC up to 512 GB

So, it looks like the Umidigi has more built-in RAM than the Samsung.

Both are expandable with the second sim slot.

Am I understanding that right?

I'm gonna buy the Umidigi, I think. The lack of bloatware and the freedom of hooking with any provider is what moves me.

I'd be glad to hear your comments.

Did I miss where the Umidigi is unlocked and the Samsung is not ? If so and you want to use the phone in Thailand you need an UNlocked phone, no ?

I've never heard of Umidigi. But what happens if you need support while you're in Thailand ? I assume, since Virgin is selling it they would have support in your home country, but in Thailand ?

What do you primarily use your phone FOR ? Pictures ? Internet ? Phone calls ? Text ? That might have a bearing on some answers you receive.

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

20 minutes ago, regyai said:

If you get true two SIMs plus SD card with your Virgin Samsung as per your photos then it has an edge over the Umidigi

Nope its the umidigi that has these slots... that was a pic of the Amazon listing for the Umidigi A5 pRO

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TFZS9MW/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

8 minutes ago, sulu said:

I've never heard of Umidigi. But what happens if you need support while you're in Thailand ? I assume, since Virgin is selling it they would have support in your home country, but in Thailand ?

You make good points.  Virgin is NOT selling it.... my only support would be through Amazon or directly with Umidigi.

This is akin to plaiting fog

The specs you gave are diametrically opposed to the photo you show

I think you need ascertain just what attributes you are buying

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm still undecided...

I have been considering the unlocked Umidigi A5 Pro as suggested by Larry.

But I want to buy through Amazon so I'm protected if I must return it. And in looking at Amazon, I saw their reviews for this phone and there were a lot of negative reviews that seemed to be centered around  "fit and finish". 

I am a Virgin customer here in Canada and I went to a Virgin booth at a local mall, and discovered that to stay at the same monthly cost, I am limited in the choice of phones.  The Samsung alternatives are their low end, least powerful phones.

The rep there also told me that in Canada they do not sell dual sim phones, except for Apple phones. So, I'm rethinking the whole issue of how much do I need two sims?

I dunno what to do, so I'm gonna do nothing. My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy grand Prime and it continues to burp when I try to load a new app, but otherwise it works just fine. 

6 minutes ago, Danolo said:

and discovered that to stay at the same monthly cost

What does that mean? are you on a sim only package or what? 

In Canada all phones must be unlocked upon request if not already unlocked.

Call virgin and verify your phone is unlocked.

Then on arrival get a Sim at the airport or through klook.

Why buy a new phone if yours is still good.

I'm on Telus and works fine everytime I'm in Pattaya.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

leave phone in room on wifi, get youself a wearable with eSim, cheaper than a new handset and you can still do everything you need to without a wedge of black mirror in your pocket
I'm considering the Xiaomi Mi Watch.