Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Question about a LOOONG layover

Chicagoarc

I am looking at tickets right now from the US to LoS in February of next year. Sadly most of the more reasonable fares have a long scheduled layover in either Tokyo (JAL), Doha (Qatar), or Abu Dabi (Ethiad). Are there anything in the areas of the airports that would make finding an 18 hour or so layover worth it? I’d imagine Tokyo has some cool stuff to see, but the 4pm arrival for those flights may have more to do with whats open upon arrival. Thanks!

Just make a stopover out of it. Spend a night in Tokyo in a nice hotel, have some nice sushi. Then catch the flight the next day and get to bkk well rested.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

9 hours ago, Chicagoarc said:

Sadly most of the more reasonable fares have a long scheduled layover

Long lay-overs is a trick airlines use for the cheapest fares in hope passengers will pay the few extra bucks for a smooth transit.
Whats the price differanse between a ticket with short lay-over and the combined cost of a cheapo ticket + 18 hours in e.g Tokyo?

if your layover is too long you are gonna end up spending more cash while in transit than paying a bit more fare with less time between flights. it ain't worth it

17 hours ago, Kandinski said:

Long lay-overs is a trick airlines use for the cheapest fares in hope passengers will pay the few extra bucks for a smooth transit.
Whats the price differanse between a ticket with short lay-over and the combined cost of a cheapo ticket + 18 hours in e.g Tokyo?

About 40% differences in price. 

So more than the price of a hotel room for the night. 

View it as an opportunity rather than an inconvenience. I would opt for Tokyo for a short visit. IMHO definably to be avoided is any stopover in excess of three hours in any airport. Not a good start for a vacation!! 

Do some research into Qatar+. At one point they offered free hotel stays and transit for layovers over 12 hours. I think it's a way to promote future tourism. Just not sure if the program is still operational, as they were originally planning to end it this year. If still running, you could take a tour of the city and get a room to rest/clean up with the transportation on them.

Tokyo is great...but if you have never been, the cheapest option to get to the city (from Narita) is the bus route which is about $15 USD...good luck finding your way.  The next cheapest (best) option is the Narita Express which is about $35 USD and still takes an hour to Tokyo Station.  Narita airport sucks...not sure about Haneda....but at 4PM you're right...it's almost useless to go into the city IMO.  I would say suck it up and take the 6 PM to BKK.  Another option is doing a Round Trip from LAX or SAN to BKK and then another from one of those to Chicago...you'd get a layover in a cool city that has lots close by...TJ is only 35 minutes from SAN...just saying.  I have friends flying in December and all found cheap flights from LAX ….like $400-$600 on skyskanner...I would say keep searching or suck it up and get a more direct flight.

OP.  What airport are you flying out of in the USA?

Eva, China Air, JAL have relatively short layovers from LAX or SFO or SAN (JAL).

I use Kayak for my search.

1 hour ago, Little Evil said:

Do some research into Qatar+. At one point they offered free hotel stays and transit for layovers over 12 hours. I think it's a way to promote future tourism. Just not sure if the program is still operational, as they were originally planning to end it this year. If still running, you could take a tour of the city and get a room to rest/clean up with the transportation on them.

I had a long (16 hours) layover in Shanghai last year with China Eastern. They have a form you fill out online to request a hotel and transportation. I believe they'll only reject it if there's a problem with your passport. It's not advertised so you have to proactively find it on the website. It's worth doing a search. It was actually much more relaxing than the "ideal" 2 or 3 hour layover I'd hope for when buying a ticket under normal circumstances.

I would agree with any of above suggestions that you may want to do some more flight shopping - I never book flights this far ahead and think I get reasonable deals.  Here is my horror story from Tokyo:

Was flying back through there from Hong Kong years ago, met pretty jap girl on flight who invited me to come downtown Tokyo for some sightseeing on my "long" (6hr) layover.  Everything went well and we just through some Sushi, had couple hrs left and planned on taking train back to airport.  All of a sudden she looked at her phone(Asians had flip type smart phones before had ever seen them in NA) and her face went white.  Some Jap decided to commit hari kari just out of Shijuku station and she was not sure how we would ever get to airport in time.  Got a limo, think it was about $500 cdn, she came with me, and was whiteknuckling the whole way - I do not even remember enjoying the blowjob.  Barely made it onto later night flight for Hawaii - if would have missed would have been even more expensive night in Tokyo.   It was an experience, but unless you familiar with layover places and transit times/costs would not look to do it.    

For any layover 3hrs to 6 I always book into one of the airport premium lounges and quite enjoy that - some better than others.  

8 hours ago, duke main said:

I had a long (16 hours) layover in Shanghai last year with China Eastern. They have a form you fill out online to request a hotel and transportation. I believe they'll only reject it if there's a problem with your passport. It's not advertised so you have to proactively find it on the website. It's worth doing a search. It was actually much more relaxing than the "ideal" 2 or 3 hour layover I'd hope for when buying a ticket under normal circumstances.

of course it is more relaxing...but 16 hours vs 2 hours...can't imagine that choosing the 14 hour delay to stay in a hotel....like a wasted day

of course it is more relaxing...but 16 hours vs 2 hours...can't imagine that choosing the 14 hour delay to stay in a hotel....like a wasted day

It depends - if it means arriving at 2 pm instead of 2 am, it may not impact the trip all that much.

I was stuck with a 10+ hour layover on my last trip, but it was on my way home and I was able to catch up with friends who were in Osaka on business.

One thing that makes a long layover in Tokyo suck is that you’re still looking at a 6 hour flight AFTER the layover. At least with Hong Kong or Singapore, you’re only looking at a 2+ hour flight and can hit the ground running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP.  What airport are you flying out of in the USA?
Eva, China Air, JAL have relatively short layovers from LAX or SFO or SAN (JAL).
 I use Kayak for my search.

Same question. I don’t know anywhere in the US with such long layovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived