IGNORED

US Global Entry Program

ChiFlyer

While applying for Global Entry, I strongly recommend applying for the APEC Business Travel Card, which allows you to use the special/diplomat lane when entering and leaving about 20+ countries.  I have not tried using the card in LOS, but it has saved me a huge amount of time in other countries.

I also have the APEC Business Travel Card, and used it on my last trip to Thailand - unless i got lucky and they waved me over because nobody was there, I think you use the diplomats/flight crew lane in the Premium immigration, which tends to move even faster.

I plan on using it in November for Singapore, Bangkok and Tokyo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I landed at Newark Liberty at 4.00 p.m. Wednesday and had never seen the Immigration & Customs busier.  The lines were massive.  I'm sure glad I had Global Entry.  There was a 15-minute wait to use one of the GE Kiosks, but I imagine the people in the ordinary lines had to wait an hour or more just to clear Immigration.

The big delay would have come at the Customs check.  There aren't separate lanes for U.S. citizens and non-citizens, only a special lane for Global Entry (no one in that one) and a lane for all the rest.  I had no checked luggage and breezed through.  The endless "ordinary" lane was packed with Chinese, Indians and Israelis,  each of whom was traveling with six suitcases and 27 boxes.  I don't even want to think about how long that would have taken to clear.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

I just read that they are testing a pilot program at a few airports using facial recognition instead fingerprints.

While that sounds promising, I can never get my face in the frame for the photo system they currently use!  5555

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

I landed at Newark Liberty at 4.00 p.m. Wednesday and had never seen the Immigration & Customs busier.  The lines were massive.  I'm sure glad I had Global Entry.  There was a 15-minute wait to use one of the GE Kiosks, but I imagine the people in the ordinary lines had to wait an hour or more just to clear Immigration.

The big delay would have come at the Customs check.  There aren't separate lanes for U.S. citizens and non-citizens, only a special lane for Global Entry (no one in that one) and a lane for all the rest.  I had no checked luggage and breezed through.  The endless "ordinary" lane was packed with Chinese, Indians and Israelis,  each of whom was traveling with six suitcases and 27 boxes.  I don't even want to think about how long that would have taken to clear.

Evil

Similarly, some 10-12(?) years ago, I came back from Costa Rica only to encounter a 2 HOUR wait to get through immigration.

That did it. Got GE shortly thereafter.

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

This was a good reminder to apply. Fingers crossed there are interview times available

7 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I just read that they are testing a pilot program at a few airports using facial recognition instead fingerprints.

While that sounds promising, I can never get my face in the frame for the photo system they currently use!  5555

My flight back from the US in August Delta was using facial recognition for boarding. No need to show passport or boarding pass, just look at the camera. 1 sec later the system confirmed my identity and I boarded. Pretty slick system. Faster and more secure than presenting documents.

Archived