IGNORED

US Global Entry Program

ChiFlyer

I did a search on this topic and found several references to it, but not a recent main thread.

After a recent debacle of an entry at DFW, I thought it was time to get off my butt and create a Global Entry account. It costs $100, but I think I get a refund with my Capital One Venture card, as long as I pay for it with said card. Global Entry includes TSA PreCheck. I have TSA PreCheck already, but it expires May 2020. The earliest I can renew that one is 6 months prior to the expiration. So I will file the Global Entry application on or after November 2019.

I am in Thailand and will continue to be here through April 2020. I see at some point in the GE process I will need to do an interview and the scheduling options are all in the US. There seems to be an acceptance upon arrival option. Has anyone ever done that? My next US arrival will be at ORD (Chicago) in April 2020, which supports all CBP processes. Just trying to think this through and find the least painful route, admin wise.

I'm on my 2nd GE card, it's great to have. Been awhile, but I think I was approved in less than 2 weeks, so you might want to wait to apply until your about a month away from going back to the U.S. since you will need to go a interview. The interview itself was very simple, and basically just asked me the same questions that were asked on the application.

When I get off the plane at LAX, I go to a self-service kiosk. Then can go to a special line at customs, if I didn't have luggage, can probably get off the plane and out of the terminal in less than 10 minutes.

The interview process is pretty straight forward. The information below comes from the CBP website. If your arrival coincides with the operating hours it should be easy enough.

Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD) Global Entry enrollment on arrival

1000 West O'Hare Avenue
Chicago, IL 60666

Hours of Operation:8:15 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday
Enrollment on Arrival available at Booth 58 if returning from foreign. 

Contact Information:

I'm only flying back to the US once a year now, but will renew my GE. Worth the $100 over five years to be spared the immigration inquisition. Plus the TSA pre-check makes going through the security theatre process much faster. As another BM posted, apply about a month before your trip back to the US and pick a date and time for the interview that's convenient for you. I did mine at MKE and was in and out in about 15 minutes. In a few weeks you'll receive a GE card, but you don't need to carry it as the GE number is linked to your passport.

thanks all - The Enrollment on Arrival option sounds good. I am due in at about 11:30 AM, so that should work well. I am guessing I apply online and there will be an option for this?

And here is my answer - I think

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-arrival

I just recently renewed my global entry/TSA pre-check.  I applied on-line, submitted 100 usd, and 2 months later my new global entry card showed up at my home.  No interview needed since it was my first renewal.  I dont know if all are like that but mine was.

This just makes me lough. Complaining about Thai plans to get 100 baht payments for foreigners entering the country, but finding it normal to pay 100$ to return in the own country without to much hassle. Welcome to the land of the free!

3 minutes ago, Hot&Spicy said:

This just makes me lough. Complaining about Thai plans to get 100 baht payments for foreigners entering the country, but finding it normal to pay 100$ to return in the own country without to much hassle. Welcome to the land of the free!

If you've ever been stuck behind a horde of people trying to get out of immigration at LAX or were rushing to make a connection from an International flight arriving at DFW, you would understand the incredible value of Global Entry.

Global Entry was the best $100 I've ever spent, and I have renewed it once (which effectively was free, given the credit I received from my credit card). 

Also, it's not $100/year - it's $100 every 5 years.  I fly Internationally an average of at least 3 times a year.  Setting aside that my credit card covers it (as does the OP's), that's 15 trips for $100 or $6.67 to skip the hordes of people at LAX and breeze through.  Once I have gotten my bags, I have never waited behind more than 2 people at customs.  

You also get PreCheck for free with Global Entry, which again allows me to skip long TSA security lines, keep my shoes on and keep my laptop, phone and iPad in my bag.  With 72 airline carriers now participating in it AND a TSA PreCheck line now in place at the Tom Bradley Terminal, it's just another reason why Global Entry is an incredibly sweet deal.

I have considered signing up for Clear, which is another $100 per year, but it allows you to cut in front of everyone with PreCheck.  I get to airports absurdly early, so I can't justify that one....YET!  5555

1 minute ago, Hot&Spicy said:

OK, got it. So its more like the fast pass in Thailand. The previous postings however lead to think that it is to avoid some extensive security checking and interviewing.

The times I traveled frequently to the US also arriving at Dallas,  there were the usual queues at Immigration, but it never took too long to go through. That was more than 20 years ago.

In looking over the GE web site, I noticed that they have a backlog at this time. It appears that some of their funding has been rerouted and they have had to reduce staff. One should probably add a month to their planned submission date.

1 hour ago, Hot&Spicy said:

These days DFW queues are variable to say the least. They tend to be miserable in the Summer due to Asian tour groups.

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

If you've ever been stuck behind a horde of people trying to get out of immigration at LAX or were rushing to make a connection from an International flight arriving at DFW, you would understand the incredible value of Global Entry.

Global Entry was the best $100 I've ever spent, and I have renewed it once (which effectively was free, given the credit I received from my credit card). 

Also, it's not $100/year - it's $100 every 5 years.  I fly Internationally an average of at least 3 times a year.  Setting aside that my credit card covers it (as does the OP's), that's 15 trips for $100 or $6.67 to skip the hordes of people at LAX and breeze through.  Once I have gotten my bags, I have never waited behind more than 2 people at customs.  

You also get PreCheck for free with Global Entry, which again allows me to skip long TSA security lines, keep my shoes on and keep my laptop, phone and iPad in my bag.  With 72 airline carriers now participating in it AND a TSA PreCheck line now in place at the Tom Bradley Terminal, it's just another reason why Global Entry is an incredibly sweet deal.

I have considered signing up for Clear, which is another $100 per year, but it allows you to cut in front of everyone with PreCheck.  I get to airports absurdly early, so I can't justify that one....YET!  5555

If you live in SoCal I would suggest going the SENTRI card route.  It gets you an entry card similar to the Global Entry but for the Mexican land borders, once you have this card it automatically includes Global Entry privileges on your passport, and extends to PreCheck with domestic airline travel.

8 hours ago, Roadglide said:

If you live in SoCal I would suggest going the SENTRI card route.  It gets you an entry card similar to the Global Entry but for the Mexican land borders, once you have this card it automatically includes Global Entry privileges on your passport, and extends to PreCheck with domestic airline travel.

I am 90% sure that I got a SENTRI card with my Global Entry.  I think I checked a box to get both, but I can't recall fro shit now.  I know that I DO have some kind of card for land borders, but I have never used it (primarily because I can't recall the last time I did a land border crossing!  555)  

Is it valid for Canada, as well?

Is there an expedited lane at the border crossing for people who have it?  That would be HUGE!

I have GE and like it alot.  Agree what others have said.

The GE and SENTRI are similar except SENTRI is used for autos at the border.  Your car has to be registered and inspected by CBP.  

You can use GE in the pedestrian SENTRI line or as a passenger in a SENTRI registered vehicle.

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I am 90% sure that I got a SENTRI card with my Global Entry.  I think I checked a box to get both, but I can't recall fro shit now.  I know that I DO have some kind of card for land borders, but I have never used it (primarily because I can't recall the last time I did a land border crossing!  555)  

Is it valid for Canada, as well?

Is there an expedited lane at the border crossing for people who have it?  That would be HUGE!

If you look on the back of your GE card, it should have the sentri logo on it, mine does.

And yes it's the nuts at land crossings at both Canada and Mexico if you walk across the border. I've seen people waiting over 2 hours to cross into the U.S. and with the GE card you walk in a special line and it takes 2 minutes to get across. It is HUGE!

Global entry is awesome.  On one of my last trips back home to LAX I even got out faster than the flight crew.  The funny thing is I get out so fast I still end up waiting for my bag to come out every time so priority bag handling helps there. 

When I scheduled my interview there was a huge backlog for LAX.  I noticed the smaller airports have less of a wait but if you recheck the website you can reschedule if someone cancels.

1 hour ago, wdogg said:

Global entry is awesome.  On one of my last trips back home to LAX I even got out faster than the flight crew.  The funny thing is I get out so fast I still end up waiting for my bag to come out every time so priority bag handling helps there. 

When I scheduled my interview there was a huge backlog for LAX.  I noticed the smaller airports have less of a wait but if you recheck the website you can reschedule if someone cancels.

I suggest frequently checking.  I got incredibly lucky back when I applied, as I think someone cancelled an LAX appointment right before I looked, so I got a spot about a week out.

Same with me on bags -- I;m always waiting at the carousel, but priority tag usually means mine come early (although not always!).  If I had carry-on only, i would be door of plane to exit door of airport in less than 10 minutes almost every time.

Sounds pretty similar to the automatic gate entry system they have in Japan. Except that Japan' is free of charge. 

The last few years I have saved myself hours at immigration using this system. Funny thing is most Japanese don't know about it so I clear faster than them even. 

I've probably put five other expats onto their gate entry/exit system and they all swear by it as well. 

I don't have a Global Entry card, I have a SENTRI card.  The SENTRI card includes Global Entry.

It is totally worth it when crossing the land border to Mexico (some of you guys might use this one day to go to Tijuana).

While applying for Global Entry, I strongly recommend applying for the APEC Business Travel Card, which allows you to use the special/diplomat lane when entering and leaving about 20+ countries.  I have not tried using the card in LOS, but it has saved me a huge amount of time in other countries.

1 hour ago, philkrenshaw said:

I applied for renewal 2 months ago. Still waiting for approval.

That's an unusual amount of time to be waiting for approval. In case you didn't already know you can check the status online (https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/). Perhaps that will show the reason for the delay. If not, if it were me I'd be sending out an email or making a call to find out the reason for the delay.

8 hours ago, Vondeth said:

I use going into lax Mobile Passport a free app from The U.S. CBP takes me thru customs faster

Spot on.  Mobile Passport is another good free option.  No TSA pre check features though.

On 19/09/2019 at 23:32, Hot&Spicy said:

Actually, you missed the first post in which the OP said it is FREE.

For those of us who carry Cap 1 Venture, and for half a dozen other card types, the entry fee is refunded in full.  Meaning the benefits are FREE.

It is just paperwork.

Be careful with interview on entry -- make sure your flight is going to arrive during their very limited hours of operation.

I have GE and had my interview on arrival. Very informal, couple of questions then entered both my UK passports on their system... It's worth every penny to beat the queues....

Archived