IGNORED

Tipping a waiter to drink

hioctane

So I am out with Thai girls and I occasionally see them offer the waiter a drink and then tip him 100 baht. Is that the customary amount? Are you supposed to tip 100 baht every time? I ask this because I was playing drinking games with my TG for shots. A waiter comes over and wants to play too.. He loses and my TG reaches into her purse for 100 baht. We do this a couple of times and to be friendly, I tip too. Pretty soon a whole hoard of waiters come. Probably because I keep tipping this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you find waiters(male) playing drinking games? Why would you tip the loser? Of course if someone is handing out 100 baht notes all the employees want to join in. 

Just because you see a TG do something doesn't mean you should too. That could be her friend, or she could just be showing off because she has Farang. And don't assume that your or any TG is the sharpest knife in the drawer, most of them are kids away from home for the first time.

He saw that we was playing drinking games and playfully wanted to join in. In order for waiters/waitresses drink with you in discos, you need to tip them. I have seen this many times over the years. I was curious about this practice.

17 hours ago, hioctane said:

In order for waiters/waitresses drink with you in discos, you need to tip them. I have seen this many times over the years. I was curious about this practice.

I am curious why you would frequently want them to drink with you?

Giving a 100 baht to a service staff/security/dj occasionally because they have been helpful/look after you etc I have seen and experienced but not even on every visit.

Doing it every time you buy a drink........ supposedly should be up to you but your creating a rod for yourself and everybody else and the Thai's won't respect you for it.

25 minutes ago, Kanga said:

the Thai's won't respect you for it.

100% correct, they just think you are a prick and laugh at you and any Thai company you may have will be laughing along too. Not sure why so many guys find this difficult to comprehend.

I think you guys are not understanding the concept. I have seen with own eyes over the years where a Thai girl... not necessarily the one I am with, but her female friends... as well as neighboring tables where they offer the wait staff a drink (from their bottle) and then tip them 100 baht to drink it. I don’t recall Thai guys doing it.. but then I don’t hang with many Thai guys. If you don’t believe this happens, ask your TG.

You tip whatever you want my friend,we are only on this earth once and you,ll be a very popular chap in this establishment :WhoSaw1:

What?  Tipping drinks to wait staff let alone 100baht.   Wot u thinking.  Stop it at once.

Plenty of mongers on here will let you buy them drinks all night and get paid 100 baht to drink it with you,especially if your chick your with is fit.

P.s would you also take us for something to eat at the end of the night?

In Chiang Mai i went few times for drinking session in Thai Bars with a Thai Buddy.

He was in general chatty with the waitress but never seen that happen.

But maybe it is because we were drinking beers and not a bottle of whisky.

1 hour ago, hioctane said:

I think you guys are not understanding the concept. I have seen with own eyes over the years where a Thai girl... not necessarily the one I am with, but her female friends... as well as neighboring tables where they offer the wait staff a drink (from their bottle) and then tip them 100 baht to drink it. I don’t recall Thai guys doing it.. but then I don’t hang with many Thai guys. If you don’t believe this happens, ask your TG.

Are you talking about local bars for mostly Thai people?

It's said that the best tippers are those who work in service professions, like waiters, waitresses, bargirls, masseuses.

Seemingly, these off-duty BGs are acting like us farang.

Maybe in a role reversal, these "rich" bargirls fling cash at lowly Thai men to feel power over them.

Are you talking about local bars for mostly Thai people?
It's said that the best tippers are those who work in service professions, like waiters, waitresses, bargirls, masseuses.
Seemingly, these off-duty BGs are acting like us farang.
Maybe in a role reversal, these "rich" bargirls fling cash at lowly Thai men to feel power over them.

These were not local Thai bars. More foreigner oriented places. These are definitely not girls looking for customers. Maybe off duty bar girls. I don’t know but they just seem to be out with friends having fun.

On 14/09/2019 at 19:35, hioctane said:

So no one has ever noticed this?

Hmmmmm, now you mention it, I do recall waiting an eternity for my food order once in a bar, because some guy with his date for the hour/night, was throwing 100 baht notes around and  playing drinking games with all the waiting staff!

On 19/09/2019 at 01:42, tuga said:

I have noticed with the little experience I have that TG like to tip wherever it is, massage, bars, restaurants, unfortunately it's with my money...

Correct. I have not seen in the past 39 years here Thai girls tipping with their own money. They tip with farang money to show how special they are to other Thais. A sort of social experiment to be looked up to by other Thais who may look down on them for having farang boyfriend or husband. 

Correct. I have not seen in the past 39 years here Thai girls tipping with their own money. They tip with farang money to show how special they are to other Thais. A sort of social experiment to be looked up to by other Thais who may look down on them for having farang boyfriend or husband. 

After the sponsor gives her the money it is HER money!

On 15/09/2019 at 11:16, hioctane said:

Never seen this once in my 30 years of LOS visits, sounds bizarre. Service and attention to detail isn’t always an attribute with Thai waiting staff so a load of pissed up waiters wandering around doesn’t sound good. Is is really a bar policy for staff to drink on duty? What sort of bars have you seen this in? 

4 minutes ago, hioctane said:

After the sponsor gives her the money it is HER money!

Only in the imagination. Depends what you give her the money for. Sex means it's hers. Rarely will the tip come out of this. It will come from add ons, like taking her for a meal where you are unlikely to see her pay. Therefore the tip comes from you not her. 

On 15/09/2019 at 18:31, kingofsurf said:

1 hour ago, Insomniac said:

So on the one hand we have guys telling us Thai's won't respect you for tipping, now we have guys saying Thai girls do it to project power. ffs make your mind up, as it can't be both.

I've seen no correlation with how stuck-up a girl is and her tipping behavior, very unlikely to be trying to laud it over others, though in some instances it may be - just as with mongers. One girl was super sweet from Bacarra. I left 20bt on the bed for the cleaner, and gave her a 200bt tip I think it was. She left that 200bt on the bed for the cleaner. Anything is possible, but I find it unlikely a Bacarra hottie is trying to curry favor with a cleaner.

I think some of this girls are even caring about other girls or their people and genuinely try to help it, but the thing is that it's almost always with the farang money not with theirs

So even if you tip her, it's your money so they dont mind helping others, this will only go to fellow thai people I am pretty sure

Archived