IGNORED

Queuing In Thailand

been here a few years not but it still gets my goat up when you are queuing in say 7/11 or family mart and a thai will just walk in front of you and out there items down and get served.

I know it is a very british thing queuing but it does raise the blood pressure a little when they do it.

Although if thats the most I have to complain about living here I think I will live with it :P

i have experienced the same thing mate but as you said its not a problem and i quite like it especially if its a girl and she has a nice arse to look at.

true, however for me normally its the motorcycle taxi drivers and I am not about to start with them

Once when I was working in Bangkok I went to the bus stop and was shocked to see the Thais waiting for the bus were all queued in a neat line. My shock only lasted a few seconds before I worked out what was really happening. |It was the hot season and they were just all trying to get into the narrow shadow cast by a small tree to get out of the sun!

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

It was the hot season and they were just all trying to get into the narrow shadow cast by a small tree to get out of the sun!

A fine observation, and quite funny...I love Thais.

Ha ha very true , every trip like a few weeks ago some very small girl like 4ft just walked in front of me in a family mart fucking funny really :Whistle:

That's one of my pet hates too. happens alot around Marine Plaza, "Bon Bon" and the "7/11" across the road. people come in, ( i'm not going to be specific on ethnic origin, i've already mentioned the area ) :D walk straight to the counter and ask for what they want, or the others who can't be bothered to credit their phones, and hold the queue up while they get their phone topped up. Thais who run in, shout over the counter and are instantly handed a pack of cigarettes while we have to wait in line, or do we suddenly become invisible ? :Whistle:

There was one occaision in a 7/11 - Family mart. where the girl behind the counter moved the queue jumpers goods to one side and carried on serving the waiting customers. Good for her ! i felt like applauding !

I know it is a very british thing queuing but it does raise the blood pressure a little when they do it.

why is it a "British" thing ?

it's a WorldWide thing. In China they will hold onto the guy in front of them so no one can butt in line, that's how bad it is there

I still can't get your "British thing", does that mean the rest of the World don't know how to queue ?, what about the "other" 1st World countries in the World besides Britain ?

& yes, it bugs the hell out of me when they do it, I've elbowed a few at some fast food restaurants, easy to do, when you get close enough just put your hands on the counter with your elbows sticking up

if anyone tries to go over your elbow you just raise it up to meet him while turning toward them in surprised, then turn back to the counter to continue your order

I've walked away many times, if the one taking the order can clearly see their kindred butting in front of me but still choose to serve him or her first I will WALK

It's annoying, definately.

Though many people are guilty of this not just thais and asians, I'll often shoulder barge falang women who try and get onto the skytrain while others are getting off.

Edited by herds

I've seen this happen in many heavily touristed countires where the local population isn't European. It's as if the locals feel that their time is more important than the tourists, so they shouldn't have to wait in line. It's frustrating.

why is it a "British" thing ?

it's a WorldWide thing. In China they will hold onto the guy in front of them so no one can butt in line, that's how bad it is there

I still can't get your "British thing", does that mean the rest of the World don't know how to queue ?, what about the "other" 1st World countries in the World besides Britain ?

& yes, it bugs the hell out of me when they do it, I've elbowed a few at some fast food restaurants, easy to do, when you get close enough just put your hands on the counter with your elbows sticking up

if anyone tries to go over your elbow you just raise it up to meet him while turning toward them in surprised, then turn back to the counter to continue your order

I've walked away many times, if the one taking the order can clearly see their kindred butting in front of me but still choose to serve him or her first I will WALK

Im from the UK and believe me, when we mention that queuing is a British thing, we are slagging ourselves off and certainly not saying we are more polite than any other.

Its as if we are criticising ourselves for being too subservient, indecisive and not speaking our mind at critical times. Its an old joke that many stand up comics play off, suggesting we need to catch up with the rest of the world to be assertive.

In reality, like you say, its all bollocks and that these days, most first worlds are pretty much the same all-over.

As for the OP, I can't help myself sometimes by politely saying something to the person. I know, I know TIT. We all have our weak days that you say something that wouldnt ordinarily say if you were happy-go-lucky and carefree.

Im from the UK and believe me, when we mention that queuing is a British thing, we are slagging ourselves off and certainly not saying we are more polite than any other.

Its as if we are criticising ourselves for being too subservient, indecisive and not speaking our mind at critical times. Its an old joke that many stand up comics play off, suggesting we need to catch up with the rest of the world to be assertive.

In reality, like you say, its all bollocks and that these days, most first worlds are pretty much the same all-over.

As for the OP, I can't help myself sometimes by politely saying something to the person. I know, I know TIT. We all have our weak days that you say something that wouldnt ordinarily say if you were happy-go-lucky and carefree.

oh how true, thank you for putting into words what i could not

• 3 months later...

Despite the niceties of the 'wai', the great majority of Thais only care about No. 1, themselves, and to hell with others around them!

no problem wif me when queuing in thailand.. except waiting for skytrains.. lol

been here a few years not but it still gets my goat up when you are queuing in say 7/11 or family mart and a thai will just walk in front of you and out there items down and get served.

Although if thats the most I have to complain about living here I think I will live with it :rolleyes:

Jeez, you'll be wanting them to observe traffic signals next. :rolleyes:

I don't find the 7-11 thing too much of a hassle; when in Rome and all that, but it's infuriating in banks and the such like where you have a numbered ticket system and some obnoxious fucker just breezes in goes straight to the counter. I remember once I was in a travel agent booking a biz class ticket back to uk and some Thai geezer just butted in and started on about AirAsia flights to Chiang Mai. The agent, then chose to ignore me and started attending to the guy. I simply got up and went to the next agent up the road. I can only assume that since the flight was for a month or two down the line that she reckoned I must have had plenty of time on my hands.

Edited by filibuster

• 4 months later...

Just to mess them up --- I sometimes wave and offer to let them go ahead. Try it sometimes, it really screws with them. You get a funny look, then often they ask you to go first. :DeadHorse2:

The worst one I have experienced was at a petrol station (?BP) Where there is a guy that mans one pump and sells 40Bht shots of fuel to the motor bike/scooter brigade. You line up behind someone, and has you get close to the pump ten of the little f*cker jump straight in Grrrrr!

I hate queuing but I would never jump one.

Some Thais told me that it will be ok asking these people to queue up behind you.

Since then I tell them in a friendly manner and it works fine for me.

Edited by Benny10

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.