Taa_Saparot

Ringing the Bell

Taa_Saparot

:rolleyes:

https://news.ch7.com/detail/363355

Middle east tourist racks up 50K bar tab after ringing the bell 20 times!

6010.jpg

A 33 year old man from Oman out with his Thai girlfriend in Pattaya claimed that he didn't know what ringing the bell meant. 

In a bar in a cluster on the Pattaya to Na Klua Road he rang the bell about twenty times and the staff and all customers present enjoyed free drinks. 

When it came time to go back to his hotel the hapless tourist was presented with a bill for 53,300 baht and believed he had had his bar tab padded. 

He paid 9,000 baht but the owner of the bar insisted they go to the police station to sort it out. 

There the tourist police examined a huge wad of bills. 

After a half hour negotiation it was decided that the Omani should pay 5,500 baht more. 

They all then went their separate ways,

fostraswift

amateur ....:Laugh1:

keepitfun

His Thai girlfriend didn’t seem to have his back that night.

Somchai1
4 minutes ago, keepitfun said:

His Thai girlfriend didn’t seem to have his back that night.

Was probably  the bar she worked in and she was making face with her sisters

Edited by Somchai1

FarangKiNok

He got off easy!!! 

bkkjunkie

he didnt read the sign - under the bell / or nearby ?

fforest

Come on no one in the whole place said one word to him about money during the whole 20 bell ringings?.........Ok the guy is stupid but the bar is more stupid so I dont feel bad for the bar........This could have been much worse for the guy he is lucky he made it to the police station...

bkkjunkie

bar should ask him for do some payments between - 

AsianMPLover

In olden days that guy would have vanished from the face of the earth... Show-offs with low self esteem usually gets a bitten in the arse by karma. Thus the balance is maintained.

Just goes to show the importance of keeping a low profile when you are in unknown territories. I find that common sense usually helps one stay out of trouble.

Taa_Saparot

His bill was 53,300, yet 14,500 baht was deemed adequate?

I guess the remaining 38,800 baht will come out of the bar girls salary  :rolleyes:

Edited by Taa_Saparot

misteregg

Extraordinary. Not the Omani not knowing about the bell ring, but the reduced bill.

cmw
3 hours ago, misteregg said:

Extraordinary. Not the Omani not knowing about the bell ring, but the reduced bill.

The fact the bar accepted such a reduced amount makes me suspect the bill maybe was padded.

WhiteThai
7 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

A 33 year old man from Oman

I don't think they would be so forgiving on soi Arab.

Mishkin

Tbh, I was guilty of ringing the bell during my last Pattaya trip.

My goal was to receive the VIP card in Windmill, which you get when you spend at least 15k in one night. One ring of the bell cost 3000, so I did that 4 times during the evening. I must say, it was quite funny. They put a bottle of Tequila on my table and all the girls from the stage came and took a shot. As the night progressed most of the girls got quite drunk and I really had to hold back not to join in. Otherwise the night would have ended terrible for me.

Actually, they changed the police after my evening in Windmill. Now, you get the VIP card only if you blow the horn 3 times in a row, which means that you buy every employee a drink. When I was there that would have cost 13k. They told me that a little too late, so I went with the original plan.

I would say Windmill is a great place to party. The music is great and not loud, so you can interact with the girls a lot. This is what I really enjoy. You can have a girl in each arm, play with them, kiss them. It is just something completely unique. And nobody cares, it is just a normal thing there. I know no other place in the world where you can do something like that. Where it is so easy going and fun.

BlooBell

7 hours ago, fforest said:

Come on no one in the whole place said one word to him about money during the whole 20 bell ringings?.........Ok the guy is stupid but the bar is more stupid so I dont feel bad for the bar........This could have been much worse for the guy he is lucky he made it to the police station...

Agreed. They thought they had hit the jackpot with a grade A mug and let him run loose. 

I don’t believe for one second that if the bar thought he genuinely understood what was happening that they wouldn’t have discussed money earlier.

They kept their mouth shut hoping to prey on his ignorance and got stung big time due to greed. 

I’m not excusing his ignorance in any way I should add and he’s a lucky boy. 

Retskni

This whole story stinks...

I don't belive for a second that he did not, at least at some point, noticed what is happening and what it means for him. Didn't he check a single bill, didn't he notice that he is flooding a crowded bar with drinks for hours? No one told him what is happening or he didn't listen? What did he think would happen if he does it, lol. It sounds like he did not deny that he rung the bell 20 times. The amount seems reasonable, so i don't understand why they accepted the reduction. It's simply impossible to ring a bell 20 times for just 14,550 baht. And even if... and they padded the bill with what? 40000 baht, he noticed that after 20 times and some hours?

Ouestions over questions...

Tarpon

A lot of other punters in the bar must have said "Thank's mate" several times during the evening. And he didn't even ask them or himself: -for what?

bobSL1

Out with his Thai girlfriend, ffs none of this makes any sense, I dont believe a word. Surely any seasoned working girl would want that money for herself, not see it wasted on chancers. Bollocks 20 times.

SteveB

:D

tuga

A random guy with a actual thai girl goes to a bar, rings the bell and suddenly everyone has a drink to celebrate him about having a thai "girlfriend"? Everyone was so happy for him that joined and didn't mind spend that same amount of money, 20 times

Seems legit

Taa_Saparot
4 hours ago, Tarpon said:

A lot of other punters in the bar must have said "Thank's mate" several times during the evening. And he didn't even ask them or himself: -for what?

A bit presumptuous that such a bar would have any customers?

golden_boy
10 hours ago, misteregg said:

Surely they were trying to rip him off then?

Think I read you mention a bar on Soi Honey, added 100bt extra to a guys check bin every time he chose a song to play on youtube. He only found out when he got his check bin. 

SteveB

Anyone who rings bell that many times without knowing what it entails, must be a right dingaling:D

Cerby666

I suspect he knew exactly what he was doing and also the bar padded the bill. Settle at 14.5k and everyone saves face.

boingo

A padded bill in Pattaya tut tut! Omani drinking tut tut tut!