Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

billybog

roku for movies

billybog

I have just recently purchased a Roku Express to watch free movies and such here in the USA. Can anyone tell me if this will work in pattaya...I will have internet, so please...no speculation....just first hand info...thanks

narcosis

that depends on what app on roku you are using and if its geo bound. What app are you using?  Since i doubt you will have access to router to even try using a router based VPN or a DNS 

billybog

greek to me..all I know is that I have a router here with modem.....what would I need in pattaya..besides a wi-fi connection?

WalterA

Never heard of a Roku  express ... sounds like a cappuccino of some sort .... wifi works here ....

billybog
1 minute ago, WalterA said:

Never heard of a Roku  express ... sounds like a cappuccino of some sort .... wifi works here ....

roku express is just the starter type model...

billybog

I will be able to install my own internet at condo...any requirements I need to do.

narcosis

yes your roku will work in thailand.. the problems is not all apps on it will. Some apps are Geo bound.. Basically they licence the app to work in a country but can't be used in other countries . Example US netflix/Hulu/ ect will not  work in all countries with out a work around.   

Unfortunately ROKU is like apple self contained can't just slap a VPN software on it and watch like your home country.  If you moving to thailand to live would suggest a normal android box were you can add all you own programs and watch any movie or IPTV to watch any tv shows or sports you want.

patman

Where are you staying? If you are in a hotel, it likely will not work. The problem is hotels have this sign  on web page before it will let you on the internet., I have a chrome cast and was never able to get it to work. Now I use an Anycast dongle, which casts the screen of my phone on the TV.

WalterA
10 minutes ago, billybog said:

I will be able to install my own internet at condo...any requirements I need to do.

You go to 3BBB .... you sign a one year contract ..... only Thai citizen are allowed month by month .... you can ask your Thai GF to do so .... and every month you pay on time at 7-11 .... there are others but I use 3BBB .... never had any issues .... for top of the line, unlimited it’s close to 1000 Baht....

billybog

thanks guys...appreciate the help

basket case

My US Netflix subscription absolutely works in thailand. But the content availability is based on being in thailand, not the US. So some programs that are available in the US are not available in thailand, and vice versa. This often works in your favor, as shows like Billions are available in thailand.

Amazon will also work in thailand, but it is VERY restricted. However, streaming Thirsday Night Football does work.

Hulu does not work overseas at all, without a VPN or DNS.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rocketboy

I had Roku as well before I moved here and when I found it didn't work even with the VPN I subscribed to I cancelled my Roku subscription.

I have Hulu and Netflix, don't need the VPN for Netflix, but do for Hulu. I also had Amazon Prime, but as was said there were only certain programs available here.

basket case

I havent tried the Roku box here. My Amazon Fire stick works just fine for accessing streaming content.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WhiteThai
2 hours ago, WalterA said:

You go to 3BBB .... you sign a one year contract ..... only Thai citizen are allowed month by month

That's not true. I did my 1 year contract with 3bb, then I left Thailand for 2 years, came back to a different condo and they let me go month-month, because I was a former customer.

wolf1611

android box is the best streaming device you can get plus you can hardwire it , plus I use my paid iptv subscription with it all channels FHD plus catchup and video on demand best 1600 I've spent 

AsianMPLover

Regarding Geo-restricted content (explained above).

I use a smartDNS service (explained here) instead of a VPN. The key benefits are:

• Easier to set-up
  • Does not add any data overhead, unlike VPN, which can be an issue for slower internet connections
  • Cheaper than a paid VPN service

The main purpose of using a smartDNS is to circumvent the Geo-restriction. However, since each streaming provider applies their own tricks to implement geo-restriction, you cannot expect the smartDNS to be applicable for every streaming service. You therefor need to check before signing up that the streaming sites you want access to are included in the smartDNS service. This is always clearly listed by the smartDNS providers so this is easy to check.

As for configuring, you will need to know how to assign overplay's DNS servers in your router configuration. And go to your smartDNS web account and select which streaming services you want to use.

Over the years I have had good experience with Overplay in SE Asia. Cannot vouch for Netflix as I use a local account, but Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime, BBC all works like a charm.

XOL123

get Kodi, all movies, ppv and over hundred premium channels for free :Think1: if you get geo restriction then a vpn solves that issue.

WalterA
10 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

That's not true. I did my 1 year contract with 3bb, then I left Thailand for 2 years, came back to a different condo and they let me go month-month, because I was a former customer.

Unless this is a recent change, foreigners could only ever make 12 months contract .... my contract is up for renewal soon, I’ll ask ....

billybog

ok...lets try this...i will be in a condo...owner of condo has allowed me to have my own internet in condo (my cost)...what is the best way to get 1000's of free movies while I am here...I want to watch on condo's 2 tv's....I do not use any media..or iphones, twitter, facebook, etc.

dirkdeee

Easy, firestick or android box.  Download a couple from the dozens of free video on demand apps like Cyberflix, Bee TV or Cinema HD.  For other entertainment on your android box add a Youtube app(I like Youtube Vanced no ads), an IPTV service for live TV and Chrome browser.  You will need need tv box(or firestick) for each tv or firestick is more portable if you want to plug and unplug to use on each tv.

If you really like the Cyberflix etc experience, you can add a paid sub to Real Debrid which gives you low traffic(no buffering) and higher quality(some up to 4k) sources.  Real Debrid sub works on all 3 apps I mentioned above.

Having your own internet connection is key.  Your only cost is the hardware which is cheap and if you want to add live TV service, around $7-$10/mth.  Real Debrid for enhanced video on demand is around 3 euros a mth.