IGNORED

Hotel of choice in Bangkok and why

tobeornottobe

1 hour ago, Bodazephyr said:

Thanks! By the time normal travel open up again, the choice of hotels might have greatly diminished.  I guess BKK will fare better than Pattaya in that respect, but might be a case of having to take what you can get for a while.

During my stay at Majestic Suites I was able to use the gym and pool at its sister hotel, the Majestic Grande on Soi 2. I was hugely impressed with that hotel, so much so that on all my subsequent visits to Bangkok, I have always stayed there. Probably my favourite hotel in the world which became a home from home for me with the staff knowing me by name. However, about a year ago it was acquired by the Hilton Group and is undergoing major renovation. The highlight of my stay was the breakfast which I ate next to the pool. Still linen tablecloths and immaculate service but outside. I believe that this area has been subject to the most intense renovation and I worry that this may have reduced the dining experience, also it has remained closed throughout the pandemic.

1 hour ago, petemoss said:

During my stay at Majestic Suites I was able to use the gym and pool at its sister hotel, the Majestic Grande on Soi 2. I was hugely impressed with that hotel, so much so that on all my subsequent visits to Bangkok, I have always stayed there. Probably my favourite hotel in the world which became a home from home for me with the staff knowing me by name. However, about a year ago it was acquired by the Hilton Group and is undergoing major renovation. The highlight of my stay was the breakfast which I ate next to the pool. Still linen tablecloths and immaculate service but outside. I believe that this area has been subject to the most intense renovation and I worry that this may have reduced the dining experience, also it has remained closed throughout the pandemic.

Didn't it become a DoubleTree?

One of my first trips, I stayed at the Majestic Grande and I was blown away by the service and staff - they were GREAT! Years later, I think they still send me a note on my birthday.

Since I focus on redeeming (or earning) hotel points, it unfortunately fell off of my list. 

On 01/02/2021 at 00:50, kansuwan said:

Which Novotel?  

It's the one on Sukhumvit 4, maybe a five minute walk south from Sukhumvit (well, you're walking past Nana, so it's unlikely you'll be only five minutes). 

5 hours ago, Bodazephyr said:

Which site did you get that price at?  The site I use was asking for around double that, pre-pandemic.  Any hassle bringing a guest back there?

I don't remember now, but it was probably Expedia or booking direct (this was before I did hotel points). It's down to $67/35k now, but dates in September are back up to $124. I walked in and an extremely well-dressed ladyboy asked me very politely if I was the man looking for her (he got out of the elevator about five minutes later) ...so, yes, definitely guest friendly. If you're shy, there's also another entrance that will get you to the elevator without walking past the lobby / front desk staff (your room key will get you in that door). The girls also know it, but it's likely to limit your negotiating skills once you drop that name.

Very classy hotel; they had a live pianist in the lobby which I enjoyed while I was catching up on some work.

I stayed in citichick by compass in sukhumvit 13 about 2 years ago, paid 1100b a night and I thought it was excellent 5 minute walk from nana. Rooms were great and had a bathtub with a window into the bedroom so you could watch if you want. Also had a tuktuk service to cowboy. Thats where ill stay again if I ever go to bkk 

• 4 weeks later...
On 01/02/2021 at 20:16, jmukh said:

It's the one on Sukhumvit 4, maybe a five minute walk south from Sukhumvit (well, you're walking past Nana, so it's unlikely you'll be only five minutes). 

I don't remember now, but it was probably Expedia or booking direct (this was before I did hotel points). It's down to $67/35k now, but dates in September are back up to $124. I walked in and an extremely well-dressed ladyboy asked me very politely if I was the man looking for her (he got out of the elevator about five minutes later) ...so, yes, definitely guest friendly. If you're shy, there's also another entrance that will get you to the elevator without walking past the lobby / front desk staff (your room key will get you in that door). The girls also know it, but it's likely to limit your negotiating skills once you drop that name.

Very classy hotel; they had a live pianist in the lobby which I enjoyed while I was catching up on some work.

On 01/02/2021 at 15:07, Bodazephyr said:

Which site did you get that price at?  The site I use was asking for around double that, pre-pandemic.  Any hassle bringing a guest back there?

The entrance you are referring to is right after the corner - it's an entrance to Tsu/Nami and is currently closed due to the pandemic. Room key not needed when the restaurants are open in the evening, but after they close, the door becomes key entry only. The hotel is very guest friendly AFAIK.

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed the Four Points Sheraton my last few trips to BKK. Amazing staff, clean rooms, tucked away in a quiet alley. I do not have a single complaint.

3 hours ago, vrvpg said:

I really enjoyed the Four Points Sheraton my last few trips to BKK. Amazing staff, clean rooms, tucked away in a quiet alley. I do not have a single complaint.

I was looking at that as a possible points redemption for BKK, since the JW Marriott is a terrible value on points (35k points or $120 cash most of the time). The Marriott's probably going to have a stellar upgrade, though. Did you have status when you stayed?

Arte hotel is my favourite by far. Just off Sukhumvit Road, reasonable price, great facilities and within walking distance of Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy.

16 minutes ago, jmukh said:

I was looking at that as a possible points redemption for BKK, since the JW Marriott is a terrible value on points (35k points or $120 cash most of the time). The Marriott's probably going to have a stellar upgrade, though. Did you have status when you stayed?

I have platinum elite, which is the primary reason why I chose to stay there. They upgraded me to a nice suite. But if I wasn't such a cheapskate, I would stay there without having any status.

I haven't stayed at the JW, but if you have the points and use them as frugally as I do, go with Four Points! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Edited by vrvpg
typo

50 minutes ago, vrvpg said:

I have platinum elite, which is the primary reason why I chose to stay there. They upgraded me to a nice suite. But if I wasn't such a cheapskate, I would stay there without having any status.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll have platinum elite this year and next, and then I'll decide if it's worth re-earning it or jumping ship to the Hilton. Thanks!

On 01/02/2020 at 04:44, Bodazephyr said:

I fancy trying the Majestic Suites, but it seems a bit noisy being right on Sukhumvit.

I was worried about this too, but I stayed there twice and actually the street side room was quieter than the ones backing NEP. 

The only thing that is a shame, is that you used to be able to use the swimming pool at the Majestic Grande around the corner, but since it converted to Double Tree that is not allowed.  So, no more swimming pool if staying at this location.

my current recommendation: carlton sukhumvit 
it's on the main road, sukhumvit soi 27, opposite soi 20.

the hotel is very new, they opened in february 2020 (great timing! 555).
it's 5*, but of course not in the same league as a mandarin oriental. but very comfortable beds, very modern rooms with all usual amenities, japanese toilets, complete floor-to-ceiling glass view down unto sukhumvit. 

main thing: it's currently crazy cheap. you find a room for around 1300 thb / night, which is just a steal. 

of course that will certainly change if tourism returns. 

of course guest friendly. 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

Nana Plaza hotel, cannot beat the location, even walked to Soi Cowboy easily.

I stayed there last year pre covid, newly renovated room for 1500b, fantastic matress and bed sheets. 

Nana Plaza hotel, cannot beat the location, even walked to Soi Cowboy easily.

I stayed there last year pre covid, newly renovated room for 1500b, fantastic matress and bed sheets. 

23 hours ago, petehoax said:

my current recommendation: carlton sukhumvit 
it's on the main road, sukhumvit soi 27, opposite soi 20.

the hotel is very new, they opened in february 2020 (great timing! 555).
it's 5*, but of course not in the same league as a mandarin oriental. but very comfortable beds, very modern rooms with all usual amenities, japanese toilets, complete floor-to-ceiling glass view down unto sukhumvit. 

main thing: it's currently crazy cheap. you find a room for around 1300 thb / night, which is just a steal. 

of course that will certainly change if tourism returns. 

of course guest friendly. 

Only useful at that cost if you're able to travel up until end June 2021, then around 3100 thb per night July-December 2021 and around 5000 thb per night Jan - March 2022