Jump to content
Taras

£10 notes

Recommended Posts

SirL
5 hours ago, vimto66 said:

Whats ld exchange, genuine question.

Id exchange = I'd exchange = I would exchange

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrfixer

I actually prefer £10's to £20's.  The BoE are going to replace 20's soon, so most of those in circulation are old and in bad shape. TT don't like them. Its rare for a 10 to be rejected.  £1000 is only 100x £10 notes which will fill a standard letter envelope. I often bring £4-5k over and never had a problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vimto66
58 minutes ago, BlooBell said:

I contact mine (HSBC) through internet banking, giving them 48 hours notice to have £3k in Bank of England £50s for me and then go and collect from the branch.

I only give notice due to the fact I live in Scotland and want BoE 50s. You might not even need to give notice in England, depending on how much you want.

 

When i go to my bank branch which is Nat West they tell me they can only give me whats in branch at that time, so chances are im going to get some worn notes, some with writing on them, and even some with small tears.I do manage to swap a few bad ones them with various people leading up to a trip though.

43 minutes ago, SirL said:

Id exchange = I'd exchange = I would exchange

Yes i reckon you`re right, amazing what an apostrophe can do to avoid confusion.:wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr_wimpy
5 hours ago, davidge said:

BofE had to backtrack on their ‘virtually indestructible’ claim pretty quickly though they’re much more durable than the old ones.

Reminds me of when Royal Mail first brought out the stamps which you didn’t need to lick anymore and are stickers.  They’re standard now.

First batch they did the franking (think that’s the right word) post office ink stamp just wiped off, and people were just peeling them off one letter and sticking them onto a new one.

Edited by Mr_wimpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
qqwert

On my last trip I ordered from my bank £4,500 in £50 notes and when I got there I asked to change the amount to £4,000, then when I got the notes I rejected 3-4 notes due to tears and was given new ones from the £500 I had rejected.

I prefer the £50's as they only take up 1/5th the space for a similar amount in £10's. This makes a lot of difference as I have a money belt that will take £1,000 in £50's or £200 in £10's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
taylor1975
2 hours ago, mrfixer said:

I actually prefer £10's to £20's.  The BoE are going to replace 20's soon, so most of those in circulation are old and in bad shape. TT don't like them. Its rare for a 10 to be rejected.  £1000 is only 100x £10 notes which will fill a standard letter envelope. I often bring £4-5k over and never had a problem. 

You're right, they scrutinise them to death. It annoys me when they start cherry picking and reaching for the microscope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Imlooking4fun
1 hour ago, taylor1975 said:

You're right, they scrutinise them to death. It annoys me when they start cherry picking and reaching for the microscope.

I cherry pick mine before l go 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Explorer8939

After October 31, the question is going to be whether the exchange houses will accept British money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chelseafan
5 hours ago, Explorer8939 said:

After October 31, the question is going to be whether the exchange houses will accept British money.

Why wouldn't they ? It's still our legal tender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrfixer
6 hours ago, Explorer8939 said:

After October 31, the question is going to be whether the exchange houses will accept British money.

Funny you say that. I am in the process of getting a quote for some industrial equipment from Turkey.  They offered to quote in Euros or US dollars. I said 'what about GB pounds?'  'Oh, we can't do that, the pound is too unstable'. !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Imlooking4fun
1 minute ago, mrfixer said:

Funny you say that. I am in the process of getting a quote for some industrial equipment from Turkey.  They offered to quote in Euros or US dollars. I said 'what about GB pounds?'  'Oh, we can't do that, the pound is too unstable'. !!!

And the euro is not !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Borrowed Time
19 hours ago, Daz Manc said:

You're not going to buy much with £10 these days  !!!!   :Cry3:

Reminded me of the “ten pound poms”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Pound_Poms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adammike
13 hours ago, mrfixer said:

I actually prefer £10's to £20's.  The BoE are going to replace 20's soon, so most of those in circulation are old and in bad shape. TT don't like them. Its rare for a 10 to be rejected.  £1000 is only 100x £10 notes which will fill a standard letter envelope. I often bring £4-5k over and never had a problem. 

The Vasu exchange gives a better rate for higher denomination notes 100dollars or100 euros or 50pounds is what you want,not sure about TT.

My local bank doesn't even Dispense money anymore I can only get it from a machine so I pick up 100euro notes from Schiphol and save any 50s I get during the year,when I say bank I mean customer service center. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrfixer
3 hours ago, Imlooking4fun said:

And the euro is not !!!

The Euro is pretty stable. International transactions denominated in GBP are currently the most expensive to insure of the G10 currencies based on three-month volatility. The cost is about three times that of the Euro.

If you are exchanging GBP in the coming months you can expect fun and games!

Edited by mrfixer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrfixer
1 hour ago, adammike said:

The Vasu exchange gives a better rate for higher denomination notes 100dollars or100 euros or 50pounds is what you want,not sure about TT.

My local bank doesn't even Dispense money anymore I can only get it from a machine so I pick up 100euro notes from Schiphol and save any 50s I get during the year,when I say bank I mean customer service center. 

Yes, higher denominations notes are preferable. However we have a business in the UK where 80%+ payments are in cash so we tend to spend/bank the £20's and save the £10's to take to Thailand. The less we have to do with the banking system the better. Nowadays they want to poke their nose into every aspect of your life and business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vimto66

Does anyone know when the new polymere £20 notes are being issued, i`ve googled and it just says early next year, was wondering if anyone knew people `in the know` who had more details, looking forward to these coming out as sorting through tatty, worn, and torn notes wont be as big an issue!

Im actually saving a few good condition £20 notes already for next time, but quite possibly wont need them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mrfixer
16 minutes ago, vimto66 said:

Does anyone know when the new polymere £20 notes are being issued, i`ve googled and it just says early next year, was wondering if anyone knew people `in the know` who had more details, looking forward to these coming out as sorting through tatty, worn, and torn notes wont be as big an issue!

Im actually saving a few good condition £20 notes already for next time, but quite possibly wont need them.

Well I hope its soon. We handle quite a bit of cash in the UK and a lot of £20s are in a disgusting state and no way would be accepted in foreign exchange. I remember when I was in Nigeria you had to scrub your hands after handling their banknotes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vimto66
4 minutes ago, mrfixer said:

Well I hope its soon. We handle quite a bit of cash in the UK and a lot of £20s are in a disgusting state and no way would be accepted in foreign exchange. I remember when I was in Nigeria you had to scrub your hands after handling their banknotes!

Ditto, years ago i went to Egypt and some of the notes you could plant potatoes on, well not quite but you get my drift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Imlooking4fun
54 minutes ago, vimto66 said:

Does anyone know when the new polymere £20 notes are being issued, i`ve googled and it just says early next year, was wondering if anyone knew people `in the know` who had more details, looking forward to these coming out as sorting through tatty, worn, and torn notes wont be as big an issue!

Im actually saving a few good condition £20 notes already for next time, but quite possibly wont need them.

I’ve heard February 2020 As told to me by someone who works in a bank 

Edited by Imlooking4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fatfrank
5 hours ago, vimto66 said:

Ditto, years ago i went to Egypt and some of the notes you could plant potatoes on, well not quite but you get my drift.

Yes and the exchanges in Egypt are just as critical (if not more so) as the Thai ones about accepting any damaged notes to give you disgusting bits of paper back. 

Edited by fatfrank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bangna
On 10/09/2019 at 19:35, Downandup said:

Maybe my bank is crap but I would not know how to get hold of £50 notes.

I order between 3 - 5 K and give them a weeks notice, probably could be quicker. This is Lloyds Bank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vimto66
On 12/09/2019 at 00:09, bangna said:

I order between 3 - 5 K and give them a weeks notice, probably could be quicker. This is Lloyds Bank.

I cant do that, Nat west says they can only give me whatever is in the branch that day, some banks obviously have better service than others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bangna
52 minutes ago, vimto66 said:

I cant do that, Nat west says they can only give me whatever is in the branch that day, some banks obviously have better service than others.

I even request no rips or writing. Mind you the 3 nearest Lloyds branches have been closed.

I live in a town of 13,000 people, we have a Lloyds mobile bank 2 days per week. Barclays and HSBC closed now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vimto66
4 minutes ago, bangna said:

I even request no rips or writing. Mind you the 3 nearest Lloyds branches have been closed.

I live in a town of 13,000 people, we have a Lloyds mobile bank 2 days per week. Barclays and HSBC closed now.

Where i live theres sweet FA, a town that had 6-7 banks now as to rely on the post office for transactions, if i want to draw a large amount out or make a personal enquiry i have to go to the nearest bigger town or city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danolo
On 10/09/2019 at 17:31, qqwert said:

have a money belt that will take £1,000 in £50's or £200 in £10's.

Do you ever get stopped at the xray/body scanner thing when they see you are wearing a money belt?

If it holds only 20 banknotes, how do you carry the balance of the 4000?

 

Edited by Danolo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.