zippy44

retire in Thailand

zippy44

So with the Thai baht rising against alot of other countries, and the requirement to report in if you leave your house for an hour, how many of you who thought of Thailand as a retirement option have now said fuck this, I will go somewhere that I am not considered a 3rd class not even citizen?

BarfineNutella
5 minutes ago, zippy44 said:

the requirement to report in if you leave your house for an hour

Come now.  Let’s think logically for a sec.  How on Earth would anyone monitor this? (If it is real) 

Unless there’s a Farang ankle brace being clamped on when you gain residency, you’ll be okay 

zippy44

was a kinda joke, if you leave your house for i think 24 hours you have to report back in

Explorer8939
10 minutes ago, BarfineNutella said:

Come now.  Let’s think logically for a sec.  How on Earth would anyone monitor this? (If it is real) 

Unless there’s a Farang ankle brace being clamped on when you gain residency, you’ll be okay 

For now, they can’t track you by finding a gap in the chain of TM30s that are generated for you by landlords and hotels. Until then, they can only catch you if you show up at Jomtien wanting an extension.

talung66
2 hours ago, zippy44 said:

was a kinda joke, if you leave your house for i think 24 hours you have to report back in

I think it is the province in reality 

And below is quite correct i did my extension on  friday as i am in a condo  with TM 30 the 2 waiting before me got taken to the hosemaster reporting  room (TM30 room ) 

1 hour ago, Explorer8939 said:

For now, they can’t track you by finding a gap in the chain of TM30s that are generated for you by landlords and hotels. Until then, they can only catch you if you show up at Jomtien wanting an extension.

And having now seen it in reality i think its a case of what you write in the address section.

Just guessing as in if the people before me  had written a hotel down they wouldn't have got taken to the TM30 room as they got sent there that quickly the first officer handling the paperwork wouldn't have had time to look on computers to see if there was any registration of the saying some where or not.

plus my TM30 was technically not valid as i moved rooms a week before  

Edited by talung66

JoseThailand

In Russia they have pretty much the same requirement as TM30 even for Russian citizens. Many other (ex-)communist countries have that too and even more. You not only have to report your stay, you need to get a permission from the authorities if you want to move. So Thailand is not the worst case.

Edited by JoseThailand

ocka
2 hours ago, zippy44 said:

how many of you who thought of Thailand as a retirement option have now said fuck this, I will go somewhere that I am not considered a 3rd class not even citizen?

I have to admit,  reading of the bullshit that expats have to go through in order to remain in Thailand really puts me off the idea.  If I was having to do that stuff I would definitely feel that I was very unwelcome.

JoseThailand

Come on guys, when you are retired you don't move around as much as those young backpackers anyway. And even if you do, reporting your stay is not a big deal. I think that TM30 thing is way too overthought.

Edited by JoseThailand

Pinoydave

I'm beginning to think the days of westerners retiring to the third world are going to be a thing of the past..... western pensions are never going to be as generous as before, healthcare costs in Asia are skyrocketing for foreigners. The third world countries are improving, the government don't want cheap charlies. Exchange rates look to be far more volatile, that has seriously affected current retirees and will put off future retirees. The mongering world will shrink over the coming years especially in Asia

talung66
4 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

Come on guys, when you are retired you don't move around as much as those young backpackers anyway. And even if you do, reporting your stay is not a big deal. I think that TM30 thing is way too overthought.

ues sort of but it something you now need to consider

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49470726?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0gv2w3ohhXfUUI7wUr1CTcZv5SBGQoqFOKW0iOkyAYdlyfaVtwH9PMK-A

Greedydunlop
7 hours ago, BarfineNutella said:

It's a government plot to seize the homes back from faring owners,sorry I forgot you can,t own a house in thailand,as you were.

JoseThailand
1 hour ago, talung66 said:

I don't see any problem. In most cases your host files the report for you. Otherwise you can submit the report online. Yes, there may be some bureaucratic and technical difficulties, but they are being solved.

javasumatra

In the USA, I have to report where I live on an AR-11.

I think the that if Thailand raised the time limit on the TM30 from 24 hours to 1 week, It would be so much easier.

Edited by javasumatra

talung66
11 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I don't see any problem. In most cases your host files the report for you. Otherwise you can submit the report online. Yes, there may be some bureaucratic and technical difficulties, but they are being solved.

Yes you and i dont see any problem it the one that don't know it a issue that  have the problem. and i am pretty sure when push come to shove you can't actually do it online.

long term contract from real estate agents  are written to absolve the host ( owner)

Edited by talung66

ausmagoo
5 hours ago, ocka said:

I have to admit,  reading of the bullshit that expats have to go through in order to remain in Thailand really puts me off the idea.  If I was having to do that stuff I would definitely feel that I was very unwelcome.

Retired here in Thailand... I have to admit reading some of the bullshit some expats spruik about remaining here and the problems they perceived to have.... all is needed is a visit to their local IO and they will find out what to do....instead of relying on a lot of innuendo and false information spread by some expats.

cheers

WalterA
6 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

It is a very big deal .... especially because no one quite understands the rules ... 

8 hours ago, zippy44 said:

So with the Thai baht rising against alot of other countries, and the requirement to report in if you leave your house for an hour, how many of you who thought of Thailand as a retirement option have now said fuck this, I will go somewhere that I am not considered a 3rd class not even citizen?

Many people have already left .... or are considering it .... I think it will take ten years , it just won’t happen overnight ..... but in ten years time ....  most Euro expats will move offshore to Cambodia, Vietnam, Phillipines ....  I can see it at my condo already, people who used to come every year are not coming back .... this place is only viable if it’s cheap, when it stops being cheap .... plus TM30 and other pain in the neck rules, other places welcome us with open hands .... it’s like the movie “The Downfall” 

Edited by WalterA

JoseThailand
8 minutes ago, WalterA said:

It is a very big deal .... especially because no one quite understands the rules ... 

Nobody will deport you if you fail to report and they somehow discover it, which is quite improbable anyway. You'll get a thousand baht fine at worst.

Edited by JoseThailand

Rocketboy
6 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

You got that right!!

Rocketboy
35 minutes ago, ausmagoo said:

instead of relying on a lot of innuendo and false information spread by some expats.

And by some who are not even retired here.

WalterA
16 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Nobody will deport you if you fail to report and they somehow discover it, which is quite improbable anyway. You'll get a thousand baht fine at worst.

If you want to pay for my fine, I’d be happy not to report ....

WalterA
17 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

You are kind of making a joke of it , but it isn’t actually ....

JoseThailand
8 minutes ago, WalterA said:

If you want to pay for my fine, I’d be happy not to report ....

Just save on one short time.

per anum
22 hours ago, zippy44 said:

I will go somewhere that I am not considered a 3rd class not even citizen?

You were always considered 3rd class....

Rich Thais - 1st class

Other Thais - 2nd class

Westerners - 3rd class

don't feel too bad, they thing I am Indian, so I am even lower down the pecking order!

dave01
22 hours ago, zippy44 said:

If you don't like... don't come..

JoseThailand
32 minutes ago, per anum said:

You were always considered 3rd class....

Rich Thais - 1st class

Other Thais - 2nd class

Westerners - 3rd class

don't feel too bad, they thing I am Indian, so I am even lower down the pecking order!

Many countries consider their own citizens a 3rd class.

Edited by JoseThailand