Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

QuotaMan

At what point did you stop caring about how you looked in Thailand? If ever.

QuotaMan

Was there a certain point in your life where you stopped caring about how you looked when visiting Thailand or any other destination on your trips?

I find that after all these years and at my age I still am self conscious about how I look.  This is why several months before my trips I go on an intense exercise and diet regimen. I won't ever be 5% body fat ripped, but at least I won't have an outrageous gut and love handles. Maybe because I am just vain I'm sure even if I ever get to age 60 and beyond, I'll still feel that way.

udontony

I am not self concious about how I look at all but I do try to be clean and reasonably neatly dressed where ever I am in Thailand.  I know I am a little overweight but would not be if only I was a few inches taller.

WalterA

I never cared how I look back home and I don’t care how I look here .... shabby chic .... I feel good about myself and that’s all that counts .... i only change clothing when it sticks to my skin 

Dr No

Seems like this thread is some pseudo way of fat shaming. Congrats on that. 

Colin back in Pattaya

When I used to visit as a tourist, I always wore long trousers as I thought shorts looked untidy, except perhaps on the beach.

Now I just wear shorts because they feel cooler.

zippy44

I dress the same in Thailand as I do at home in the summer, though I have been blessed with type 1 diabetes so hard for me to get fat:)

Piece Corp

I work out every day, I'm 65 and ready to kick ass.

DSC_2263.thumb.JPG.b43d57d3a795b6c50191a0a661c68149.JPG

Scuba+

I like wearing vests\tanks which are very practical for Thailand, my American friends think they are an awful thing to wear and shops profile you if you wear them, but I don't care. Girls seem more than happy.

On soi Buakhao i see loads of people with a bad dress sense who don't seem to care how they look

Rocketboy
1 hour ago, QuotaMan said:

Maybe because I am just vain I'm sure even if I ever get to age 60 and beyond, I'll still feel that way.

I'm 65, feel good about myself and I'm vain as well. I have always cared about my appearance and the way I look. Not for anyone else...but for me. I don't see that changing!

karandy

i always dress decently daytime or evening  ;

long trousers always ,and either a polo ,or dress shirt -short sleeves .

wearing wife beater tops has a certain stigma with many and looks sloppy  IMHO-should be worn on the beach only ,and never in a bar or restaurant ,

i feel good and can hold my head high when dressed nicely ,and it is surprising how many ladies  actually comment on how smart i am .

dad always dressed smart and i guess i have followed his example -thanks dad .

karandy
13 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

On soi Buakhao i see loads of people with a bad dress sense who don't seem to care how they look

great news for me ,makes me stand out even more  to the girls  !!!

Edited by karandy

psychman

There is a huge different between vanity and pride--nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and putting wee bit of effort into appearance. 

Scuba+
i always dress decently daytime or evening  ;
long trousers always ,and either a polo ,or dress shirt -short sleeves .
wearing wife beater tops has a certain stigma with many and looks sloppy  IMHO-should be worn on the beach only ,and never in a bar or restaurant ,
i feel good and can hold my head high when dressed nicely ,and it is surprising how many ladies  actually comment on how smart i am .
dad always dressed smart and i guess i have followed his example -thanks dad .

This is the uniform many old fella farang wear. Checked shirt. It's not a look i like but when I'm that age maybe i will.

Too hot to wear trousers all the time unless in AC all day. Again not a good look, but i guess you have to dress for your agee2f94f4bf8659f070da314a6d146927d.jpg

TommyPattaya

I dress for the weather. Worldwide. In warm climates, this means shorts during the day. If I'm going out at night I would probably put on long pants, but make sure whatever I'm wearing breathes well. Nobody wants a sweat factory on the dance floor.

Some people say you have to wear X or else it's tacky. This isn't true. The key is to wear clothes that fit properly. Too many people wear clothes that aren't cut for their body type and end up wearing something that looks dumpy or tight.

A t-shirt and jeans with the right fit will look better than an oversized suit, every time. 

That said, I do try to stay fit. This isn't just for trips to Thailand, this is in general. I'm not going to lie though, it I have a beach trip coming up, I'll hit the gym a little harder with more consistency in the month leading up to the trip. 

karandy

it really has nothing to do with age with me , i just like to look tidy 

dont own any checked shirts like that ,but there is nothing wrong with them if you like them .

as for long trousers -i wear them to help dissuade mosquito bites  especially  dengue  variety .

if you have ever had it ,you will understand why .

i also wear socks and shoes  to complete my smart appearance .,but i suppose to some this is wrong too.

froddo

Clothing wise I'm a slob & do not care what others think. The one thing I found at home & away was that people who sit in sartorial judgement of me & others tend to be people I'm happy to see drinking at another table to me.

The girls who take the time to sit with me tend to be more open & friendly than some princess that judges me on what I wear & not what's in my pockets

duffMaster

I do care how I look but I do it for myself not based on what’s some hookers think. That’s said I’m not over excess about my weight either, i do have some extra padding and I to be honest don’t care as I do hit the gym and move around in other ways plus try to eat somewhat healthy without being boring. Trying to loose all the excess weight wouldn’t be worth it to me as I just wouldn’t be happy so I have accepted how I now look as a plus 50 dude. I never get any complaints in LOS about my look, I dress comfortable but not sloppy, I smart it up some at night and I’m always clean. 

rog555
1 hour ago, Scuba+ said:

This is the uniform many old fella farang wear. Checked shirt. It's not a look i like but when I'm that age maybe i will.

Too hot to wear trousers all the time unless in AC all day. Again not a good look, but i guess you have to dress for your agee2f94f4bf8659f070da314a6d146927d.jpg

Interesting photo and comment.   

The oversized check shirt, long cargo shorts, sensible good grip sandals is a familar style chosen by older expats.  

The guy is overly large size and has rather straggly hair, grey and in process of being lost.  Neither of those helps his appearance.

I have pretty much the exact same outfit that I wear in the day or doing errands like shopping.  Its easy to wear, not hot, copes with uneven pavements. It does feel a bit scruffy though. Am 60+.  I would feel uneasy wearing that outfit into an agogo.

But at night I make a bit more of an effort.  I feel better if I have consciously selected better fitting clothes, put on socks and trainers. Coloured my greying hair, keep it shortish. Wear contacts, not glasses.  Would wear jeans, but its too hot and restricting.  Hard for the guy in the photo to do much about his big size though. 

I do care a bit about how others perceive me, as we all do.  The guys who wear clothes from the seventies are consciously choosing to project that image. As do guys with smart jackets and dress shoes. Fascinating to hear their view on why they do it.

What someone, including the bar girls, choose to wear is something we observe and judge.

Edited by rog555

BarfineNutella

Don’t need 5% for abs, it’s 10 - 14 %.  

Doing it for the girls is pointless imo, because some might see fit guys as troublesome/less likely to spend based on entitlement and others will see fat guys as a good choice as more likely to have money and be kind. 

I try and stay in my best shape possible so I can have better sex.  Amazing what some good cardio will do for your stamina 555 

Was 18% bf last trip and will be 14% this time.  

If you have 2 - 3 weeks or more until your next trip and want to shave some inches off your waist asap, google ‘Stomach Vacuums’ and do them daily.  It’s not a miracle maker but initial results are great. 

rob63

Forget how you look....It's all about pattaya chic style.

I wear my chang vest, union jack shorts and poundland flip flops. Other mongers think I look the business!

Scuba+
Interesting photo and comment.   
The oversized check shirt, long cargo shorts, sensible good grip sandals is a familar style chosen by older expats.  
The guy is overly large size and has rather straggly hair, grey and in process of being lost.  Neither of those helps his appearance.
I have pretty much the exact same outfit that I wear in the day or doing errands like shopping.  Its easy to wear, not hot, copes with uneven pavements. It does feel a bit scruffy though. Am 60+.  I would feel uneasy wearing that outfit into an agogo.
But at night I make a bit more of an effort.  I feel better if I have consciously selected better fitting clothes, put on socks and trainers. Coloured my greying hair, keep it shortish. Wear contacts, not glasses.  Would wear jeans, but its too hot and restricting.  Hard for the guy in the photo to do much about his big size though. 
I do care a bit about how others perceive me, as we all do.  The guys who wear clothes from the seventies are consciously choosing to project that image. As do guys with smart jackets and dress shoes. Fascinating to hear their view on why they do it.
What someone, including the bar girls, choose to wear is something we observe and judge.

i do make a slight effort when going to agogos, the vest comes off replaced with a polo shirt and sandals replaced with trainers, far less practical. Usually on my long walk back from walking st to my place i wish i was wearing sandals and a vest

MunterHunter

I have been losing some weight but not just for me trip. I was 19 st in May and now 17.4 st. Hopefully get just under 17 st. vests (or wife beater) tops! I dont see what the big issue is with them. Maybe not wearing out at night but daytime is cool. I sweat like Gary Glitter in a kids nursery when in the sun. Helps to keep me cool. Nothing worse than soaking wet arm pits. I always laugh at what a BG said to me. She pointed out a guy at her bar and said she wants to fuck him. she then said but when he lifts his arm pit making this face :Cry3:

This is a good post as it reminds me i need to sort out some clothes. Come my trip in November the shops will have there winter clothes in. See what i can get just now 

I dont really care that much how i look if you mean compared to how i would look if say going on a night out in Edinburgh. Im not looking for a girl friend in Pattaya 

wickedd

We are heading to the era where men have to pay for sex and work to look good. Hard times

TommyPattaya
13 minutes ago, wickedd said:

We are heading to the era where men have to pay for sex and work to look good. Hard times

Supply and demand, buddy. Show me the next Pattaya before the rest of the world finds out about it and I'm right there with you. 

Steph34

It’s not about looking good but caring about oneself....