Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Lu Yuan Pattaya Hotpot

Lu Yuan (at the old Bruno’s on Thappraya) has come in for a bit of stick on the FB groups (a Chinese restaurant replacing Bruno’s fine dining).. mostly from people who haven’t even eaten there. 

So to set the record straight, here is a brief summing up from a local gastronome, who knows his stuff. 

“Food is excellent. Decor a bit cheesy, but light and lively. People very friendly”

“We liked the evening meal so much that we returned for lunch the following day. Chef is from Guangzhou. He made us dumplings off menu”

“Hot Pot soup base top shelf. Ingredients surprisingly very good. Pig knuckles first rate. Chicken rice dish (Bo Zai Fan) as good as Hong Kong“

“No MSG and very light use of oil”

“Possible downside, it seems not many staff speak much English. No wine list so BYO. Orders placed via iPhone to kitchen”

“Owner said she is not keen on low-level tour buses. The restaurant is not even designed for that type of crowd. Let’s hope enough food lovers switch on to this place”

“5 dishes at lunch with ample doggy bags for leftovers. B900”

You won’t find any references to this restaurant on FB (other than a review on Thailand Wine and Dine). Not really surprising - most, if not all, their social media efforts would likely be targeted towards CTrip, Weibo and other Chinese platforms.

On the evening in question there were 30 people. With the exception of the writer of the above comments and his table, all Chinese.

Sound well worth a visit to me. Only caveat - if you’re a fan of Western-style Chinese restaurants, and not authentic Chinese cuisine, this may not be your thing. 

A90DEA85-0460-4EB2-86B1-CE849F88A2CE.jpeg

33BC349A-E374-47E8-A7A8-452F52876CE4.jpeg

ABD99EEA-5554-4980-84B1-ADC252442E4E.jpeg

E0AEFC18-5C6A-4637-97E5-DD9B719C3B8A.jpeg

9C490BF2-ACD8-436E-BB0D-1AC8EE0C5D79.jpeg

857A0F22-29F5-4505-AEFD-AE2D625ABE16.jpeg

BF11805B-EA8A-4817-9E89-C6318476BAD1.jpeg

BD86DBEA-A67F-4CC8-AC1B-306CF4F1DB94.jpeg

B76ADD4E-3ECA-4F92-A1B4-D7AA0BB45FD5.jpeg

0704F822-BC66-4D0D-942C-DD7BF0A74E9B.jpeg

C41B5338-B43A-4FAE-A343-2E45E1AA55E2.jpeg

70C95676-E46A-4285-B43C-D10925A0650E.jpeg

AC1278A1-6B3E-4E00-9EFD-B9C480A86883.jpeg

8189443B-E63C-480A-8020-85E3E3D46BFD.jpeg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Interesting. I return on Thursday night from 6 weeks in the US. I am staying in Thailand for 7 months, so I will give the place a try at some point.

Says it all about the future of Pattaya when a classy restaurant in Jomtien is replaced by a Chinese hot pot stand.

• Sad 1

On 08/09/2019 at 04:48, chris2004 said:

Says it all about the future of Pattaya when a classy restaurant in Jomtien is replaced by a Chinese hot pot stand.

Lol did you read the review? Hot pot stand is what it’s NOT. The guy who made the above comments knows his quality Chinese cuisine. And this definitely isn’t sweet and sour pork balls with a MSG sauce.

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:48, chris2004 said:

pretty sad people think like this. Change is inevitable and instead of getting excited about whats to come, they moan and groan about another lost fish and chip shop.

Asia cuisine unlike UK's so called 'cuisine' is vast and does just revolve around pies booze.

Please remember to like and subscribe.

On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 22:08, TWD said:

Lu Yuan (at the old Bruno’s on Thappraya) has come in for a bit of stick on the FB groups (a Chinese restaurant replacing Bruno’s fine dining).. mostly from people who haven’t even eaten there. 

So to set the record straight, here is a brief summing up from a local gastronome, who knows his stuff. 

“Food is excellent. Decor a bit cheesy, but light and lively. People very friendly”

Good for once people actually visit the place and review it instead of repeating what someone else is repeating. And yes it looks a lil cheesy to me too!

“Owner said she is not keen on low-level tour buses. The restaurant is not even designed for that type of crowd. Let’s hope enough food lovers switch on to this place”

Its the 'new' Chinese , the zero baht.yaun tours are little and seldom seen now. The market has matured fast. The TAT I seeing the result of their accommodating the low-end Chinese market for years.

BTW OP , its LV Yuan NOT LU Yuan.

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk

• 4 weeks later...

A friend was there Wednesday night. Very busy, at least 80 covers.

Mostly if not all Chinese apart from his group. And NOT tour buses.

If I get any photos sent through, I’ll add them later

On 10/09/2019 at 06:01, mmaaarrrkkk said:

BTW OP , its LV Yuan NOT LU Yuan.

Yes aware of that but in English, Lu is easier to say, for green. Lv has no meaning. In Chinese, it stands for Green.

“The Chinese word lü - 绿 - lǜ
(green in Chinese)”

Yuan, loosely translated, means Garden or Courtyard. Some prefer to say ‘Lu Yuan’ or Green Garden.

Anyway, attached pics from last night, in order

Baked pumpkin - braised pork belly - Steamed fish in soy sauce - Cucumbers and pork in sesame sauce - chicken feet in spicy sauce

77E0E741-8240-4737-ABB0-3DE25EC9ED5F.jpeg

5500A6D2-8F7E-43C0-9B82-E6AA8316C16D.jpeg

BAF7BE62-8AD5-43DE-A5F5-FA2352DA6B89.jpeg

5262C268-0E21-4AF9-8B64-98D376E9CFEB.jpeg

28250CDB-9DBC-4ED2-B083-A172F9BD0FE1.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice

I vist china( shenzhen ) regularly.. love the food there

does your menus show pictures of the food?

its the only way i know what to order!!..:D

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

2 hours ago, fostraswift said:

Nice

I don't think its his restaurant!

Anyway , I got a tip from another food thread here and that's to use an app to show exactly what you want to the person taking your order. There's a thai food app and Im sure there's a china food app as well. Lets see who can dig it up.

• Like 1

On 03/10/2019 at 09:04, fostraswift said:

Nice

On 03/10/2019 at 11:38, mmaaarrrkkk said:

I don't think its his restaurant!

Anyway , I got a tip from another food thread here and that's to use an app to show exactly what you want to the person taking your order. There's a thai food app and Im sure there's a china food app as well. Lets see who can dig it up.

Definitely not mine, I would rather give my youngster a drum kit for her birthday than run a restaurant in Pattaya right now

Mainland Chinese family run, they have a place of the same name over there

• 3 months later...

having been fooled by the review i went to this restaraunt,. On entrance i was disappointed at the lack of tanks containg fish. When i sat down i noticed no fask or jug if hot tea , not even hot water. I have lived in China for many years and have travelled extensively t5hroughout China and never been to a restarunt that never supplied evn hot water. The menu was poor, no real regional specialities , and when it came to vegetables i looked in vain for any chinese vegetable. One looked in vain for any noodle dish . No Chinese beers, i could not see any Rice wine or Yoghurt drinks. I assumed rice which was not on the menu would be provided though the waitress never stated it , in fact we had to order seperate. The service was terrible  my ladyfriend  was ignored and i had to call the fooyen to  remind her of the drink order.  We waited a long time  aunts. the first dish to arrive, again not normal in any Chinese rtaraunt in China.  When the first dish arrived it was cold or warm at most. The oysters were passable , the chicken dish was . filleted chicken, not the usual Chinese way of bones and meat. Heavily dosed in soya sauce, i do not know what region this cooking was supposed to emulate possibly Cantonese as they go for sweetness . i searched in vain for the different flavours that you get in even the most rudimentary street food let alone the exquisite and balanced lavours of an upmarket Chinese restaraunt.   The small hotpot was a total disappointment. It came cold so that one had to wait for the sauce to boil.   Worse still all the ingredients were already inside, not for you the joy of placing them in the sauce. The sauce itself what a disappointment. No choice of the Hot and spicy red soup or the cooler white. Instead a yellow mixture which did little to enhance the flavour of the food. I looked for the table to mix the vinegar, spices, garlic,  soya and sesame sauce etc. that every hotpot restaraunt provides in order to dip the cooked  food from the hotpot.  But none. This is not authentic Chinese food but rather The Chinglish food that foreigners love.

It has as much to do with China as an eskimo has to do with a camel.

On 09/09/2019 at 09:36, TWD said:

Lol did you read the review? Hot pot stand is what it’s NOT. The guy who made the above comments knows his quality Chinese cuisine. And this definitely isn’t sweet and sour pork balls with a MSG sauce.

I do agree in that yes, it is a classy restaurant. But I think what he is trying to say is that look what the future holds for Pattaya. Since 1950 or before, has there been many classy Chinese restaurants in the area? I think not, thus giving an example of the future of farangs in Thailand. Especially since it's a fancy place that requires investment and skill. And not just some food stall set up haistely. 

49 minutes ago, gerald jones said:

It has as much to do with China as an eskimo has to do with a camel.

:Agree1:'

Been there twice poor food and service, now on my no go list.

• 8 months later...

:Bump:   Any updates on this place? Sounded promising to start snd then ended with a couple bad reviews.

Drove by it tonight and had forgotten it was there. Probably cause I've kinda given up looking for decent Chinese food here (authentic or western). 

I pass by this place regularly, normally empty but sometimes, like last night, totally packed, with well to do Chinese. 

Well dressed, driving top of the range motors and all chronic smokers.

• 3 weeks later...

This place is a non-starter for the GF and I am not interested enough to push the issue. She just says "Chinese people are rude". Besides Gian's best Italian in the Pattaya area IMNSHO is next door. Yes, it is pricey.

I go past the place regularly as well and the crowds are as Jimboh describes. Mostly scant, but occasionally screwing up the Gian's parking.