TWD

Lu Yuan Pattaya Hotpot

TWD

Lu Yuan (at the old Bruno’s on Thappraya) has come in for a bit of stick on the FB groups (a Chinese restaurant replacing Bruno’s fine dining).. mostly from people who haven’t even eaten there. 

So to set the record straight, here is a brief summing up from a local gastronome, who knows his stuff. 

“Food is excellent. Decor a bit cheesy, but light and lively. People very friendly”

“We liked the evening meal so much that we returned for lunch the following day. Chef is from Guangzhou. He made us dumplings off menu”

“Hot Pot soup base top shelf. Ingredients surprisingly very good. Pig knuckles first rate. Chicken rice dish (Bo Zai Fan) as good as Hong Kong“

“No MSG and very light use of oil”

“Possible downside, it seems not many staff speak much English. No wine list so BYO. Orders placed via iPhone to kitchen”

“Owner said she is not keen on low-level tour buses. The restaurant is not even designed for that type of crowd. Let’s hope enough food lovers switch on to this place”

“5 dishes at lunch with ample doggy bags for leftovers. B900”

You won’t find any references to this restaurant on FB (other than a review on Thailand Wine and Dine). Not really surprising - most, if not all, their social media efforts would likely be targeted towards CTrip, Weibo and other Chinese platforms.

On the evening in question there were 30 people. With the exception of the writer of the above comments and his table, all Chinese.

Sound well worth a visit to me. Only caveat - if you’re a fan of Western-style Chinese restaurants, and not authentic Chinese cuisine, this may not be your thing. 

A90DEA85-0460-4EB2-86B1-CE849F88A2CE.jpeg

33BC349A-E374-47E8-A7A8-452F52876CE4.jpeg

ABD99EEA-5554-4980-84B1-ADC252442E4E.jpeg

E0AEFC18-5C6A-4637-97E5-DD9B719C3B8A.jpeg

9C490BF2-ACD8-436E-BB0D-1AC8EE0C5D79.jpeg

857A0F22-29F5-4505-AEFD-AE2D625ABE16.jpeg

BF11805B-EA8A-4817-9E89-C6318476BAD1.jpeg

BD86DBEA-A67F-4CC8-AC1B-306CF4F1DB94.jpeg

B76ADD4E-3ECA-4F92-A1B4-D7AA0BB45FD5.jpeg

0704F822-BC66-4D0D-942C-DD7BF0A74E9B.jpeg

C41B5338-B43A-4FAE-A343-2E45E1AA55E2.jpeg

70C95676-E46A-4285-B43C-D10925A0650E.jpeg

AC1278A1-6B3E-4E00-9EFD-B9C480A86883.jpeg

8189443B-E63C-480A-8020-85E3E3D46BFD.jpeg

ChiFlyer

Interesting. I return on Thursday night from 6 weeks in the US. I am staying in Thailand for 7 months, so I will give the place a try at some point.

chris2004

Says it all about the future of Pattaya when a classy restaurant in Jomtien is replaced by a Chinese hot pot stand.

TWD
On 08/09/2019 at 04:48, chris2004 said:

Says it all about the future of Pattaya when a classy restaurant in Jomtien is replaced by a Chinese hot pot stand.

Lol did you read the review? Hot pot stand is what it’s NOT. The guy who made the above comments knows his quality Chinese cuisine. And this definitely isn’t sweet and sour pork balls with a MSG sauce.

mmaaarrrkkk
On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 10:48, chris2004 said:

pretty sad people think like this. Change is inevitable and instead of getting excited about whats to come, they moan and groan about another lost fish and chip shop.

Asia cuisine unlike UK's so called 'cuisine' is vast and does just revolve around pies booze.

mmaaarrrkkk
On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 22:08, TWD said:

Lu Yuan (at the old Bruno’s on Thappraya) has come in for a bit of stick on the FB groups (a Chinese restaurant replacing Bruno’s fine dining).. mostly from people who haven’t even eaten there. 

So to set the record straight, here is a brief summing up from a local gastronome, who knows his stuff. 

“Food is excellent. Decor a bit cheesy, but light and lively. People very friendly”

Good for once people actually visit the place and review it instead of repeating what someone else is repeating. And yes it looks a lil cheesy to me too!

“Owner said she is not keen on low-level tour buses. The restaurant is not even designed for that type of crowd. Let’s hope enough food lovers switch on to this place”

Its the 'new' Chinese , the zero baht.yaun tours are little and seldom seen now. The market has matured fast. The TAT I seeing the result of their accommodating the low-end Chinese market for years.

BTW OP , its LV Yuan NOT LU Yuan.

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk

TWD

A friend was there Wednesday night. Very busy, at least 80 covers.

Mostly if not all Chinese apart from his group. And NOT tour buses.

If I get any photos sent through, I’ll add them later

TWD
On 10/09/2019 at 06:01, mmaaarrrkkk said:

BTW OP , its LV Yuan NOT LU Yuan.

Yes aware of that but in English, Lu is easier to say, for green. Lv has no meaning. In Chinese, it stands for Green.

“The Chinese word lü - 绿 - lǜ
(green in Chinese)”

Yuan, loosely translated, means Garden or Courtyard. Some prefer to say ‘Lu Yuan’ or Green Garden.

Anyway, attached pics from last night, in order

Baked pumpkin - braised pork belly - Steamed fish in soy sauce - Cucumbers and pork in sesame sauce - chicken feet in spicy sauce

77E0E741-8240-4737-ABB0-3DE25EC9ED5F.jpeg

5500A6D2-8F7E-43C0-9B82-E6AA8316C16D.jpeg

BAF7BE62-8AD5-43DE-A5F5-FA2352DA6B89.jpeg

5262C268-0E21-4AF9-8B64-98D376E9CFEB.jpeg

28250CDB-9DBC-4ED2-B083-A172F9BD0FE1.jpeg

fostraswift

Nice

I vist china( shenzhen ) regularly.. love the food there

does your menus show pictures of the food?

its the only way i know what to order!!..:D

mmaaarrrkkk
2 hours ago, fostraswift said:

Nice

I don't think its his restaurant!

Anyway , I got a tip from another food thread here and that's to use an app to show exactly what you want to the person taking your order. There's a thai food app and Im sure there's a china food app as well. Lets see who can dig it up.

TWD
On 03/10/2019 at 09:04, fostraswift said:

Nice

On 03/10/2019 at 11:38, mmaaarrrkkk said:

I don't think its his restaurant!

Anyway , I got a tip from another food thread here and that's to use an app to show exactly what you want to the person taking your order. There's a thai food app and Im sure there's a china food app as well. Lets see who can dig it up.

Definitely not mine, I would rather give my youngster a drum kit for her birthday than run a restaurant in Pattaya right now

Mainland Chinese family run, they have a place of the same name over there