Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Luxury Pattaya Condo Rentals | Le Pub Soi Diamond | Pattaya Investigations | Beavers Pattaya | Pattaya News | Pattaya Bars | The Night Wish Group | Add your Text or Event here

Mr magoo

Never ever have I been on such an empty flight bound for Thailand

Mr magoo

Just arrived back today, flew with Qatar and this was my flight from Doha to Bangkok....

Have you ever had a similar flight with so few passengers ?!!

Mr magoo.

IMG_20190907_084224.jpg

IMG_20190907_084413.jpg

shagwell

Back on New Years Day 2000 I had a similar flight from Singapore to Australia, half the world thought the planes were going to drop out of the sky due to the milenium bug, so not many people flying that day.

Qatar are no doubt suffering since the rest of the Middle East fell out with them. They are no longer allowed to operate in UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc so all those shorthaul  passengers from neighboring countries have gone. All their passengers will either be based in Qatar itself or from much further afield now.

Edited by shagwell

SteveB

And strangely some BM's here say it has nothing to do with the very Strong Thai Baht.:o

1_mHaijYuh4Gfqz2hV-nwv0A.jpeg

RRosenberg

Damn, I might have to start flying with Qatar! Every time I've flown Emirates and the flight has been packed. Recent trip I heard the FA mention that there was only 1 empty seat on the entire flight. I was surprised to see the DXB - BKK business class cabin was virtually full as well. Qatar here I come lol

whitespider

No never that few but over 30 years ive been on a fair few pretty empty ones.

bm69

In 21yrs of flying to SEA ive never seen a plane so empty

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

udontony

So few passengers, think that they could have put them all in business class!   Seen a few planes with few passengers over the years but nothing as bad as that.

striderman

funnily enough i think falang numbers are up this week in pattaya. once you get to september the schools are back certainly in the uk and air fare prices are much lower than august

LeoTex

I have had it happen to me 3 times over the years.

First time I had a trip/flight scheduled for 9/13/01. Because of 9/11 my plane was still where in Canada. It wasn't until the following Tuesday 9/18/01 before I could make the trip. All 3 of my flight legs that trip where less than 25% full. Since the airlines were waving all flight changes, I reschedule/postponed my return 3 times.

Next was the Sars outbreak in late 2002 to early 2003. I  remember on of the flights from Tokyo to Bangkok was about 10 to 15% full.

The 3rd time was the Bird Flu (N5N1)  scare in 2006, again flight less than 50% full.

LeoTex

Howdo

I am flying to Bangkok from Dublin with Quatar next Friday. I hope the flights are this empty.

Colin back in Pattaya

During the SARS panic in 2002 or 2003 I flew China Airlines AMS BKK in an almost empty 747

Jeckson25

Back from Doha to Munich the plane was virtually empty. Been flying with Emirates since though. The layover in Doha is way too long and my home airport services Emirates

IMG-20190907-WA0000.jpg

Brianmills808

Makes you really wonder how do they make a profit??? Think about the salary alone for the flight crew. Must have lost money that flight lol.

Harry Brown
4 minutes ago, Brianmills808 said:

Makes you really wonder how do they make a profit??? Think about the salary alone for the flight crew. Must have lost money that flight lol.

Possible that it is loaded with cargo.

Not saying it's a fact in this case but sometimes due to cargo they won't load a full complement of passengers.

rupdawg
2 minutes ago, Brianmills808 said:

they don't this flight path will be cut back and a new destination will be trialed in the future.

Lok Jit

Triple the Cost of Medical and that Ever easy TM 30 BS is all over the News along with the Strong Baht

LeoTex
11 minutes ago, Brianmills808 said:

How about the cost of the fuel?

LeoTex

markado

Qatar airways does not make profit, they even lose moneys, Billionaire Qatari inject billions just for the prestige to  be the number 1 in the world

NotASexTorist

One should consider the level of customer service one may receive when something goes wrong. Qatar Airways are a bit spotty when it comes to this and also tend to baulk when it comes to paying compensation due to EU 261/2004.

Look for an airline that has signed up to an ADR, as they are then legally bound to pay up if you win. Emirates and Oman Air being two of the ME airlines.

Qatar would prefer that you take them to court before they cough up. Obviously hoping that you don't.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/How-the-CAA-can-help/Alternative-dispute-resolution/#4294979947-collapse-0

taylor1975
13 minutes ago, NotASexTorist said:

One should consider the level of customer service one may receive when something goes wrong. Qatar Airways are a bit spotty when it comes to this and also tend to baulk when it comes to paying compensation due to EU 261/2004.

They've paid me, maybe 7 years ago. But only after my 2nd letter insisting.

I would love to be on a plane that empty. I've seen that flight sparse, but not that bad. 

fopey1969

Lucky man flew with Qatar BHX to BKK 15Aug till 2Sep all 4 flights were full

Itsgazza

I flew in weeks ago with etihad...its was £10  cheaper than Qatar...what a false economy that was.

The etihad flight was full on  both legs, probably the same going home

striderman
Just now, Itsgazza said:

I flew in weeks ago with etihad...its was £10  cheaper than Qatar...what a false economy that was.

The etihad flight was full on  both legs, probably the same going home

there is a big difference between august and september as far as pressure on flights

BlooBell
2 hours ago, RRosenberg said:

Damn, I might have to start flying with Qatar! Every time I've flown Emirates and the flight has been packed. Recent trip I heard the FA mention that there was only 1 empty seat on the entire flight. I was surprised to see the DXB - BKK business class cabin was virtually full as well. Qatar here I come lol

Same same. 

I fly from Edinburgh, always Emirates,  and both legs are always nearly full, whatever time of year. 

That’s a glorious site when the doors of the plane shut and you know you got a row of four seats to yourself. 

I can fly Qatar from Edinburgh and now that Emirates have downgraded me and took away lounge access and free seat selection I think I’ll go Qatar for my Feb trip. 

Itsgazza

I can chose etihad , qatar or emirates   i alwayspick the flights with the shortest stopovers..providing they are competitively priced.

Might have to rethink my strategy for next time..mind you etihad had Game of Thrones box set to watch so not all bad