jornpoulsen

Thai Airways

Luv2Phuket
7 minutes ago, bgtp said:

Sounds like you are describing bulkhead seats, not exit row.

Yes, but on many International flights, the exit row also is a bulkhead row.

Gotta check SeatGuru and see what people are saying about it.

thinkingallowed
18 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

On many flights, exit row seats have the tray table and TV in the arm rest.  That means not only is it immoveable (so no lifting the arm rests and spreading out if your row is empty), but also the seat is narrower than a typical economy seat.

10 minutes ago, bgtp said:

In my experience exit row seats on wide body jets would be similar to bulkhead seats re trays and IFE.

C5FBB9F5-7D8C-4AF1-8A33-F7E760EF4F1E.thumb.jpeg.98e5f2f9d12d0a0dda67d4138f5e8349.jpeg

Over wing exit rows on narrow body aircraft would be different.

8ABF4406-80EE-4711-94AF-4DFB00382B6C.png.fb5e0285712482f6d1e83ae5b97b6833.png

The Serpent

My full holiday itinerary is 5 days in either BKK or Pats, then 5 weeks in Europe then finishing off with 5 days either BKK or Pats

I'm still waiting for a cheap flight BKK/Europe/BKK

For example, there is a Qatar flight I like which leaves at 01.45 

If I book that one, then I would go to Pats first, then finish in BKK

So I would leave Pats at 21.30 for that 01.45 flight (gives me enough time to sneak in a few Soi 6 sessions) :P

Then coming back to Melbourne, I would leave BKK at 20.30 for that 00.05 flight home

Giving me enough time to have a session at Mango or Tulips and one last BJ... 

Edited by The Serpent

hase999

I booked business class to BKK from Europe with most of the European airlines (Finnair, KLM, Air France, Lufthansa, BA, SWISS, Air France). All of them are comparable to me and there was nothing to complain. So flight time and price is crucial.

Take care when booking Ukrainian International, the seats of the 767 busines class can not be reclined completly flat.

geezerrb

I have probably flown Thai more than any other airline since 2008, those were the days!

Usually 747's they could not fill so in economy you could "flat bed" on a row of seats, the food always seemed good to me, (I am no connoisseur but from memory and recent experience on ME outstrips many other airlines).

I admit I am a price whore at times, proved by the fact I made the biggest mistake of my life booking a really cheap flight with Air India (talk about racial discrimination!)but have also tried many ME lines which apart from maybe a 1to 3 hour stopover which I get bored and realise when I have bought some food in terminal and had a drink, the base line price can come close to flying direct whether that be Thai or EVA.

Magnum PI
On 06/09/2019 at 06:01, bgtp said:

No definately  exit rows. On Thai anyway.  I have the same issue with narrower seats

Magnum PI
On 05/09/2019 at 11:28, Robbie Jones said:

Thai Airlines suits us. 10.30 am departure Sydney direct to BKK with a 4 pm landing and 7.30 pm departure from BKK and a 6 am landing in Sydney. $680 to $700 return Free piss, a couple of meals, usually get to watch 3 to 4 movies. My only gripe is the price is almost no frills airline prices and the amount of rude Middle Eastern, Chinese and Indian passengers that usually make up most of the BKK to Sydney leg. Funnily enough I do not notice this on the Sydney to BKK leg, maybe due to excitement or not trying to sleep.

This is my usual flight as well but the planes are really showing their age.  Need to upgrade to airbuses!. Yes the BKk to SYD flight is not pleasant. Very rude ignorant people. I have put a few in their place. Wont tolerate their crap anymore! Hostesses are too polite to put them in their place but not me

kane666

FWIW Thai now charge a fee for exit row seats. Don't know when it started but I flew early August and no mention of a charge, flew again late August and got the "Sorry sir there is a charge now for exit row".

geezerrb
3 minutes ago, kane666 said:

FWIW Thai now charge a fee for exit row seats. Don't know when it started but I flew early August and no mention of a charge, flew again late August and got the "Sorry sir there is a charge now for exit row".

My understanding is that they are due to introduce charges for seat selection.

Zeb
14 minutes ago, geezerrb said:

My understanding is that they are due to introduce charges for seat selection.

Wouldn't surprise most others do.

But still a bummer.

GoodMan555
On 04/09/2019 at 21:28, Robbie Jones said:

Thai Airlines suits us. 10.30 am departure Sydney direct to BKK with a 4 pm landing and 7.30 pm departure from BKK and a 6 am landing in Sydney. $680 to $700 return Free piss, a couple of meals, usually get to watch 3 to 4 movies. My only gripe is the price is almost no frills airline prices and the amount of rude Middle Eastern, Chinese and Indian passengers that usually make up most of the BKK to Sydney leg. Funnily enough I do not notice this on the Sydney to BKK leg, maybe due to excitement or not trying to sleep.

Robbie,  why are the Indians, Middle Easterns, and Chinese going to Sydney?  Australia is in the opposite direction of their countries.  Wouldn't be cheaper and faster for them to fly northbound instead of southbound?  I don't get it.

Zeb
13 hours ago, GoodMan555 said:

Robbie,  why are the Indians, Middle Easterns, and Chinese going to Sydney?  Australia is in the opposite direction of their countries.  Wouldn't be cheaper and faster for them to fly northbound instead of southbound?  I don't get it.

There are significant people with the above heritage living in Australia having adopted Australian citizenship. The increase in Indian migration in particular is noticeable, many but not all 'skilled migrants' and family reunions then bolsters numbers as does family members just visiting them in Australia. Elderly parents rejoining grown children who have done well building a life in Australia is noticeable.

Also some of these people may be going on to NZ. 

China has been the largest source of migrant to Australia for some years. Tertiary Education is a important "Export" in the Australian Economy and again Mainland China is one of the biggest buyers of such services in part because after completing University there is an easier pathway to obtaining Australian citizenship.

GoodMan555
2 hours ago, Zeb said:

There are significant people with the above heritage living in Australia having adopted Australian citizenship. The increase in Indian migration in particular is noticeable, many but not all 'skilled migrants' and family reunions then bolsters numbers as does family members just visiting them in Australia. Elderly parents rejoining grown children who have done well building a life in Australia is noticeable.

Also some of these people may be going on to NZ. 

China has been the largest source of migrant to Australia for some years. Tertiary Education is a important "Export" in the Australian Economy and again Mainland China is one of the biggest buyers of such services in part because after completing University there is an easier pathway to obtaining Australian citizenship.

Thanks Zeb.  It's interesting that you guys still call them "Middle Easterns, Indians, and Chinese" although they are now Australian citizens.  What do you guys call the Caucasians?  Do you still call them English, German, etc?  How about the Latins?  What do you call the Latins in Australia?

Zeb
26 minutes ago, GoodMan555 said:

Thanks Zeb.  It's interesting that you guys still call them "Middle Easterns, Indians, and Chinese" although they are now Australian citizens.  What do you guys call the Caucasians?  Do you still call them English, German, etc?  How about the Latins?  What do you call the Latins in Australia?

We don't that I'm aware of.

You may note my use of the word "heritage' in my reply and that I didn't use those descriptions you refer to - at all. 

What I did was refer to India and China as being source countries for some (significant) immigration.

Explorer8939

I wouldn't be surprised to see Australia as majority Chinese 100 years from now.

Well, I would be surprised to see anything 100 years from now.

deano4598
35 minutes ago, Explorer8939 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Australia as majority Chinese 100 years from now.

Well, I would be surprised to see anything 100 years from now.

Hardly, most of them will be Australians by birth then and well assimilated into an Aussy culture, Asians assimilate much better than other races and ethnicities

ocka
21 hours ago, GoodMan555 said:

Robbie,  why are the Indians, Middle Easterns, and Chinese going to Sydney?  Australia is in the opposite direction of their countries. 

Possibly "guest workers."  Australian companies like to bring in foreign workers in order to keep wages low.  I have heard that there are generally between one and two million foreign workers in Australia at any given time.

Magnum PI

Also a lot of Turkish, the night flight to Sydney has a code share with Turkish airlines,
last flight we were delayed about 20 minutes because the turkish airline flight into swampy was delayed and there was a lot of transferring passengers

GoodMan555
6 hours ago, Zeb said:

We don't that I'm aware of.

You may note my use of the word "heritage' in my reply and that I didn't use those descriptions you refer to - at all. 

What I did was refer to India and China as being source countries for some (significant) immigration.

I did not mean your reply Zeb, I was referring to Robbie's post that triggered my question.  I thought it was the general way of referring to these ethnicities in  Australia.  Here in the US they go by larger ethnic groups: Hispanics (for Latin American heritage), African American (for blacks only, does not include people of Arab northern African countries), Asians (for all Asian countries of ancestry), Native Americans (for the original Indians), whites, Pacific Islanders.

Recently, with the growth of the Arab and Indian populations here, we are starting to hear the terms Arab American and Indo-American.  So I was curious how it is in Australia.

sulu
5 hours ago, GoodMan555 said:

I did not mean your reply Zeb, I was referring to Robbie's post that triggered my question. 

So then, a lesson learned.

Quote , or at least name, the person to whom you are replying to. :High5:

Edited by sulu

Kannikar
On 28/08/2019 at 00:45, jornpoulsen said:

Just completed a Thai Airways trip, KL-BKK-CPH and back again on business. I paid around USD 3k for the ticket. 

‘The cabin was appalling.  The seats didn’t lie flat and the lower leg portion remained almost vertical. This made the sleeping position very uncomfortable. 

There was no USB charging port and the LCD screen was duller than a photo from 1895!

We’re in 2019 now - Thai seemed to have overlooked that. 

I’ve been quite loyal to them over the years, but I think it’s time for a change.  

What do you guys fly with to Europe?

All TG service from bkk to Europe is operated by aircrafts equipped with lie flat seats in C. The last service with the seat configuration you have mentioned was the 747 on the rout bkk to Munich. The 747 was equipped with a first class however since the current King moved from Munich to Thailand there is no need for a first class product on this routing anymore. This routing is operated by a 777-300 meanwhile.

I am going with TG from bkk to Europe and back -including CPH-  up to 10 times per year. Always with lie flat. What happened to you was just bad luck due to short term aircraft change for some reasons.

Kannikar
On 28/08/2019 at 00:48, javasumatra said:

There are so many great Airlines between Europe and Thailand -

Qatar, Emirates, Etihad, Oman, Eva and Cathay just for a start.

The problem is that non of the airlines you have mentioned is going directly from bkk to Europe.

davidge
16 minutes ago, Kannikar said:

The problem is that non of the airlines you have mentioned is going directly from bkk to Europe.

Eva flies direct from BKK to LHR - and AMS I think. Maybe Vienna as well? Excellent airline.

Robbie Jones
On ‎07‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 21:30, GoodMan555 said:

I do not know the exact answer. Some are citizens/ residents, others maybe returning to New Zealand and some may be holidaying. I do not need to understand that. I do not get how poorly mannered they are.